Whole House Filter failure

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the haze is one thing, but I definitely saw sediments flow right through the filter at the end. I will run this through my superjet the next time I rack and see how it works out.

I've never had a problem with rhubarb wine before. This one seems to be more cloudy than most I have made. But it is still young - I only started it in November.

Regarding hazes in rhubarb wine - I can't find any good information on starch or pectin content. There are lots of anecdotal reports of both hazes in rhubarb. But some information I have read is that rhubarb is low in both of these. Never the less, I will do a pectinase trial and see if it helps.

Greg
I just Google haze in rhubarb wine and it appears to be an issue with that type of wine.

Mainly pectin and starch haze issues - which a filter will not fix to my understanding

Is this the same Rhubarb wine that you had a hard time even trying to get it to start fermenting and you had to use multiple yeast starters?

As a matter of fact, yes. Hmm. Could that be related? Any thoughts?

Steve,

Thanks. I can't find any good information on pectin/starch content.

This site says pectin in rhubarb is low
http://www.pickleandpreserve.co.uk/index.php/blog/pectin-levels-in-fruit.html

This link says that starch in rhubarb is 0:
http://www.kickas.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=143543

Is there any good data to be found?

Might just be something going on with this batch since you had so much trouble with it from the get go.

Greg I will post some articles latter tonight as I'm on a smart phone right now

I noticed on mine this last time I was getting some air. I disassembled the entire thing, replaced the teflon tape on the threads, cut the ends of the hose and heated them just a bit to make it easier to shove up on the barbs.

Then I hooked the all in one to a 3 gal carboy, through the filter housing (like I was filtering), created a vacuum and plugging the end of the hose.

The I shoved the entire filter housing in a sink full of water. I figure if I had a leak it would suck water into the housing. After 1 hour I still had a vacuum and the inside of the housing is nice and dry.

Then I added a filter, closed the housing and repeated the test. Still no water and the filter stayed dry.

I think I have my air leak fixed. :D

I noticed on mine this last time I was getting some air. I disassembled the entire thing, replaced the teflon tape on the threads, cut the ends of the hose and heated them just a bit to make it easier to shove up on the barbs.

Then I hooked the all in one to a 3 gal carboy, through the filter housing (like I was filtering), created a vacuum and plugging the end of the hose.

The I shoved the entire filter housing in a sink full of water. I figure if I had a leak it would suck water into the housing. After 1 hour I still had a vacuum and the inside of the housing is nice and dry.

Then I added a filter, closed the housing and repeated the test. Still no water and the filter stayed dry.

I think I have my air leak fixed. :D

Very good idea !

I always recommend to people to cut the hose off the filter housing - rather than trying to heat or physically pull it off - it is worth loosing 1/2'' of tubing rather have issues down the road.

Very good idea !

I always recommend to people to cut the hose off the filter housing - rather than trying to heat or physically pull it off - it is worth loosing 1/2'' of tubing rather have issues down the road.

I got extra hose so I'm just leaving it hooked up. I'll be in touch for an extra racking bung.

Latest posts

Back