Who are the Ladies in our forum?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm new to the forum and (as my name suggests) of the female variety. I'm a mum, live in Australia and started making wine because I finally found time for a hobby in busy work/life mix. Also, used to be a microbiologist and looooove clever bugs like yeast. Oh... and do like just the occasional health giving glass :). Wine making is so much fun.

I also really appreciate Allie's posts - informative and supportive - thanks Allie. Also thanks to all other more experienced wine making folks who offer their advice. Great to be part of this lovely community.

Anna

Welcome Anna, my wife is also a microbiologist and plays with bugs. Hey Troy..nice thread you started here. Its great to be in a hobby that touches lives all over.:b

We have a diverse crowd. My fiance helps me make wine. She isn't on any forums herself but likes to be by my side reading along together.

WELL CONGRATS on your upcoming marriage :try !
Better start thinking what WINE U will make for the wedding.. :dg

Xanxer - my congrats to you also. My partner also likes to peer over my shoulder as I brew. He also seems quite proud of my work as takes any visitors we have on a tour of my (modest) brew cellar.

Perhaps for your wedding CJJ Berry's peach perfection? I started a batch (my own version of CJJ's recipe) last night -
2kg peaches,
juice of two large grapefruit + 2 tsp zest,
750 gm black grapes (crushed with stems left in),
2kg white sugar,
300gm brown sugar
4.5 L water

Dissolved sugar in boiling water. Hand crushed grapes and peaches. Poured over grapefruit juice and boiling syrup. Added 1.5 tsp pectic enzyme this morn and will add chardonnay yeast starter tonight. It is a great, purply orange festy sort of colour at the moment but am hoping for a gris/rose coloured wine when all is said and done.

Best to all,

Anna

Well amoung other things I have been called a lady....and it IS great to see other women like wine making as much as I do :)

Thanks for the well wishes.
I think that peach recipie will be perfect as Kat likes peach wine.
:)

So, when is THE day?

I can give U a fresh peach recipe ..

I'd like to see your peach recipe Tom. CJJ Berry said peach, plum etc... can sometimes be a bit hollow/flavourless. He suggested addition of grain to beef it up. What do you think?

Anna

It's a bit far because we are saving to buy a house first. October 8 2011.

I'd like to see your peach recipe Tom. CJJ Berry said peach, plum etc... can sometimes be a bit hollow/flavourless. He suggested addition of grain to beef it up. What do you think?

Anna

banana could add body. and an fpack of peach for flavor

Anna

6 gallons
40# peaches sliced and pited
freeze for 2-3 days
Thaw and split into 2 straing bags in 2 fermenting buckets.
Add 2 1/2 gal water to ea and Pectic enzyme
after 24 hrs add sugar to 1.085 (warm up water from ea bucket and add sugar)
Check TA and add acid blend as needed
add Cote des Blancs yeast to both Rack @ 1.010
when dry add stabilzers

This should take at least 6 months to bottle

I made a f-pac and back sweetened.

When ready to do and you have everything ck back.

banana could add body. and an fpack of peach for flavor
YEP! U R correct.. I have at least 15# of frozen banana for that reason. I just didnt know what he/she was talking about..

anna
My f-pac for my Peach recipe above would be 10# of peaches simmered down .. I use 20-30% of what I added in origional recipe. That means U would need 50+# for 6 gal.
Reason why# is so high per gal is the pits and flavor of peaches is low..

Ah hah - fpac is some kind of boiled down fruit concentrate?? Yes, this makes sense.

Did you say you add fpac later in the process or first up (during primary fermentation)?

Also, what quantity of bananas for 4.5L (1 gallon) of my peach wine? Add now (just prior to yeast starter) or later?

Anna,
Sounds like you are having a "Ah hah" moment.
2-3# of banana should work for a 1 gal batch. I would make a "banana" soup and add before clearing.
here is my f-pac for 6 gal..

F-PAC

How to make a F-PAC

Add 20-30% of what #'s used in the primary in a large frying pan or pot. Simmer to extract all "flavor" and reduce the water from the fruit. Strain thru a kitchen strainer and add AFTER you rack and after the wine is DRY ( .990) You MUST have added k-meta and Sorbate before adding the f-pac. Once adding the f-pac you can add clearing agent. You will have to rack at least 2+ more times. Then
back sweeten to YOUR taste using simple syrup.

Tom

Home of the
MOON RIVER BREWERY
and
DELANCO VINEYARDS

Back