White stuff on my wine? Spoiled?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oliver

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,
im doing my first batch of wine this year. everything went fine during Fermentation and MLF. After MLF finnished i racked the wine into a carboy and put some KMeta in. now there is some white stuff on top? What is this? Its barely visible without Flash. Also sinc i put the carboy in my cellar the temperature dropped from 20 celsius to 12 ish celsius.

Is this mold?
What can I do?

Best,
Oliver

Attachments

• AC09AB52-A459-452F-93DF-6DE97CB72EB9.jpeg
    AC09AB52-A459-452F-93DF-6DE97CB72EB9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 0AD43552-A1FE-4675-AC3F-1464D106E86D.jpeg
    0AD43552-A1FE-4675-AC3F-1464D106E86D.jpeg
    1,010.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 30C58389-1D9F-4873-B8AC-E520A2CFF821.jpeg
    30C58389-1D9F-4873-B8AC-E520A2CFF821.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Not necessarily. Pro tip... rack some wine into a small jug, even as little as a quart or so. Finish racking the carboy. Take your tasting sample from the racked wine now. Sometimes the wine can stratify, and taste will change throughout the unracked carboy. Then add the Kmeta, through a funnel, into the racked wine. Then top off with the quart you previously saved. It will help disperse the Kmeta.

You might also mix the Kmeta into part of your extra quart, then add that to your racked wine. Top off to fill the carboy with any leftover from the quart. You want to make sure all the Kmeta gets in so only mix it with enough wine you KNOW will fit into your carboy.

Not necessarily. Pro tip... rack some wine into a small jug, even as little as a quart or so. Finish racking the carboy. Take your tasting sample from the racked wine now. Sometimes the wine can stratify, and taste will change throughout the unracked carboy. Then add the Kmeta, through a funnel, into the racked wine. Then top off with the quart you previously saved. It will help disperse the Kmeta.

You might also mix the Kmeta into part of your extra quart, then add that to your racked wine. Top off to fill the carboy with any leftover from the quart. You want to make sure all the Kmeta gets in so only mix it with enough wine you KNOW will fit into your carboy.
alright thanks, thats helpful.
and im less worried now :D

Lets hope this goes well

I fill a shot glass with half an oz of water and mix in the k-meta to dissolve before adding. It's not enough to dilute the wine and if I need to make room I have a little taste. When I rack single gallon batches I will measure out 6 tbsp's of water (you could use wine) and add a 1/4 tsp of k-meta. Each gallon gets a Tbsp of the liquid. It makes the math easy.

I fill a shot glass with half an oz of water and mix in the k-meta to dissolve before adding. It's not enough to dilute the wine and if I need to make room I have a little taste. When I rack single gallon batches I will measure out 6 tbsp's of water (you could use wine) and add a 1/4 tsp of k-meta. Each gallon gets a Tbsp of the liquid. It makes the math easy.

Thank you for this tip!! I only make gallons, and the math in getting kmeta right has about done me in (that's why I work with words, not numbers!). I've found ick growing in my carboys because I undermeasured kmeta, as I'm always afraid to add too much. This tip will save my wine!

Latest posts

Back