Other White semi sweet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broge5

Reaction score
I've seen enough threads on here that I'm convinced the premium red kits are generally worth the premium price if I'm willing to give them time. I've mostly stuck to big premium reds, but none ready to drink.

What about the whites? I have a MM Renaissance pinot grigio recently bottled and put away. Now I'm looking for a little sweeter white mostly for company. I was thinking maybe a Reisling or Gerwurst. I'm in Dallas and easiest to get from George - MM, CC, RJS.

Any suggestions? Are the premiums that much better in whites?

Premiums will always give you a better percentage of varietal juice. I would go with Riesling for a semi sweet. the aromatics of a Gewurts might put people off if they are not used to it.

This is the World Vinyard German Muller-Thurgau. It is referred to as an "off dry" white wine, but I've found that sweet white drinkers love it! The one I made last year just won a gold at the 40th Cellarmasters Amature Wine Making Competition in LA. (Yes, I like saying that! :re) It is remarkable for a $75 kit.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...thurgau.html?gclid=CNGk9PC1mbsCFdBlOgodnBsA8w

If you want something a little sweeter, I just bottled a Wine Expert World Vinyard California Moscato that came out great!

51Ir896IleL.jpg

Last edited:
My wife's favorite so far, for $75.00, is the RJS VdV Pinot Grigio back sweetened with 500ml of stove top simple syrup. Have not tried a premium white and may never because of my wife and others really, really liking this tweaked Pinot Grigio.

Thanks for the input guys.

Even though the premium kits have greater percent varietal juice, seems like when it comes to whites, most people are very happy with the 10 and 12 liter kits.

I think I'm leaning toward the limited release RJS Grand Cru International Muscat. I can get it for the same price as the WE Moscato, but the RJS is 12 liter.

Broge5 I've made the International Muscat you mentioned, it is not sweet enough for me. My friend who's mom likes dry wines, liked it. But, its not one i would make again. Not flavorful enough for me. I also made the WV German Muller-Thurgau that one to me is semi-sweet and has a nice grapey flavor, haha! People who have tried it who consider themselves true wine drinkers really like it!

My favorite is the WV California Muscato!! EVERYONE loves it! I'm in the middle of making my second batch now. I bottled the first one back in June and all my bottles are almost gone! I would definitely recommend it!

Let us know which one you try! :)

I have just started the RJ Spagnols Grand Cru International Muscat and am making it as per the directions. I will bottle age it and hope it's ready by spring/summer. How long before you guys consider it drinkable?

I have just started the RJ Spagnols Grand Cru International Muscat and am making it as per the directions. I will bottle age it and hope it's ready by spring/summer. How long before you guys consider it drinkable?

I'm on day 4 with this kit. As a mater of fact just up from the basement after having taken the temperature, stirring one last time, tightening the lid down and putting an air lock in the lid's bung hole.

The instructions would have us bottle on day 35 (approx.) and bottle age for 3-4 months prior to consuming. I would consider the wine acceptable to drink at that time which puts you kinda in the May 2014 time-frame.

I'm going to bulk age 2 months, with a rack in between, when instructions would have me bottle - on day 35 (approx.). I'll bottle age for 2 months and then try a bottle.

Good luck with yours...

Well, I had ordered the Cru muscat the day before I got the message from Joyofwine. Now I'm second guessing my decision. However, I'm glad to see others are making it too. I chose it because 1. It is 12L as opposed to 10L and 2. George has $10 shipping, and he doesn't carry WE. I'm not looking for too sweet, so hopefully I'll like it.

One thing I'm noticing about my recently purchased premium white kit is that it's barely any cheaper than buying a good commercial bottle on sale. I haven't seen any reds that come close to that, but most of the whites are pretty inexpensive.

Looks like a lot of you are making the Muscat. ;-) I followed the directions on that one. I would maybe do an extra racking at the end and let it bulk age for at least a month so all the sediment has time to fall out. Keep us posted you guys!

I just like sweet wines like riesling and moscatos....and at the time there wasn't a kit for a muscato, and the guy at my local homebrew store suggested the Grand Cru Muscat, as being close to a muscato, and it's not. The GMThurgau is sweeter.

I just checked my notes, and I bottled the Muscat back in January. I'm going to have to open a bottle and see how it is now!

It all comes down a matter of style as Moscato comes from Muscat grapes. Do you want a very sweet, low alcohol wine or do you want something less sweet, lightly oaked, and closer to some other Muscat-derived wines out there?

Back