RJS Cru International- Buyer Beware

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As we devolve into reasons as to why STYLE is or is not important, the question is: is the wine any good? does it age well? Do you like it?
That being stated, I tend to buy organic grown wine when I can find them. These have to meet certain requirements to be called organic.
Many items that are GMO are now being labeled bioengineered, From the NonGMOproject: Bioengineered is supposed to mean GMO, but it uses a much more narrow definition than consumers expect from other certifications. Per the USDA’s definition, bioengineered foods must contain modified genetic material which leaves out many products made with GMOs. GMOs are used in up to 80% of conventional processed foods in the United States.
I wonder how much of the wine grapes are truly nonGMO?

As we devolve into reasons as to why STYLE is or is not important, the question is: is the wine any good? does it age well? Do you like it?
That being stated, I tend to buy organic grown wine when I can find them. These have to meet certain requirements to be called organic.
Many items that are GMO are now being labeled bioengineered, From the NonGMOproject: Bioengineered is supposed to mean GMO, but it uses a much more narrow definition than consumers expect from other certifications. Per the USDA’s definition, bioengineered foods must contain modified genetic material which leaves out many products made with GMOs. GMOs are used in up to 80% of conventional processed foods in the United States.
I wonder how much of the wine grapes are truly nonGMO?
Well, you had to dig around to find this one.
A while before this thread started, there was also a thread about wine kit manufacturers downsizing their kits and claiming to be better. I was one of the ones disputing this, as well as a skeptic of the "style" instead of "varietal" thing.
I'll answer your first question. Less is not more, and while the kits still make a quaffable product, they (the ones I have made) have less alcohol, less extraction, less varietal character, and develop less under a cork over time. I bottled my last kit (ever) in September.
Regarding GMO products, I don't think any wine grapes would be produced that way. I live in Saskatchewan. There is a lot of canola grown here, and most of it is GMO. They call it "round-up-ready" as it has been gene spliced to ignore glyphosate.
Some vineyards do use manufactured fertilizer, so they are not organic growers. There is not enough cow poop to go around I guess.

Well, you had to dig around to find this one.
A while before this thread started, there was also a thread about wine kit manufacturers downsizing their kits and claiming to be better. I was one of the ones disputing this, as well as a skeptic of the "style" instead of "varietal" thing.
I'll answer your first question. Less is not more, and while the kits still make a quaffable product, they (the ones I have made) have less alcohol, less extraction, less varietal character, and develop less under a cork over time. I bottled my last kit (ever) in September.
Regarding GMO products, I don't think any wine grapes would be produced that way. I live in Saskatchewan. There is a lot of canola grown here, and most of it is GMO. They call it "round-up-ready" as it has been gene spliced to ignore glyphosate.
Some vineyards do use manufactured fertilizer, so they are not organic growers. There is not enough cow poop to go around I guess.
Organic vs non: The non fertilizers (chemical) are costing almost double the cost of using organics. Even on a massive scale. I use media ag Growing green in a bag product for years. My 40 pound bag cost is under $20.00 US vs over ~$35 for Scotts or others. In large totes which is bought for farms, the cost is under 2 cents pound vs 6.3 cents per pound for the fossil fuel/inorganic variety sold by many farms supply stores. I am a part owner of a 1500-acre organic farm in deep south Texas (RGV). Our costs is 1/3 the cost of others in our area who are using chemicals.
https://medinaag.com/

Huh. I thought you wanted to discuss the quality of wine kits. It appears that you wanted to promote an organic propaganda, and didn't even comment on my response regarding wine kits. Sorry I bit on that.

Huh. I thought you wanted to discuss the quality of wine kits. It appears that you wanted to promote an organic propaganda, and didn't even comment on my response regarding wine kits. Sorry I bit on that.
Nope. just mentioning my involvement. I always believe that knowing where one's head is at, gives others knowledge. Yes, I know the owners. Yes, I use their product because it is superior.
I wanted to know about wine kits. Seems to me that many of those promoted on Amazon or other sites are not as good as some of the others. I have learned a lot over the last few weeks on this site. Did not mean to mislead. I have been making wine for only about six months and beer for a year. I have been growing grapes for 4 years and my vines last year produced their first good crop. I was able to make about 8 gallons of wine. Next year will be better!
Thanks for your input.

Back