Revisiting the sediment issue with kit wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, after a bad racking/bottling like this, do I need to dump back into carboy, let settle, then rack and bottle more carefully? Or, since this wine is just for my wife and me, will it be ok? Yes, I'm a bit embarrassed to show you this picture.
View attachment 72948

It may depend on the source of the sediment. I can't tell from the picture, but it could be fine lees, etc., or it could be wine diamonds (potassium bitartrate).

If it is wine diamonds, no problem.

If it is lees, then I think it is your choice. If it is really just for your own consumption, and if you don't intend to hang on to it for too long, my opinion is that you could let it go as is. (I don't know if you intend to hang on to it short or long, I am just saying that that I don't think that it will be an immediate problem.)

Thanks for your response @sour_grapes.

I'm guessing this is mainly fine lees, definitely not wine diamonds.

This was from a kit where I racked to "secondary" then when time was up, racked to bottling bucket, then bottled. I was experimenting with going the shortest time frame that RJS recommends, without topping up, etc. We still have 6 bottles from the 1st batch of this that we made where I bulk aged for a couple of months and topped up. I still think I can go with the early date in the future and age in the bottle, but just need to keep the auto-siphon tip off the bottom of the carboy!

Ask 10 winemakers and get 12 answers. I would leave as is, when serving, I would just carefully decant the bottle to a carafe. White wines are fairly sensitive to oxygen, so just my opinion, but I would move on with your next batch and take it as a learning experience. Transferring out of bottles to a carboy then back to bottles again will add significant oxygen, the kmeta will help, but it won't completely protect the wine.

Yes, I'm a bit embarrassed to show you this picture.
Everyone has a bobble from time to time. If this is the worst thing that ever happens, call it a win!

So, after a bad racking/bottling like this, do I need to dump back into carboy, let settle, then rack and bottle more carefully? Or, since this wine is just for my wife and me, will it be ok?
It's your call -- do whichever works best for you.

However, I agree with @bstnh1, I'd unbottle, let it clear and then rebottle.

Back