which big, fat, oaky red?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Simmons

Reaction score
OK, George talked me into getting out of the myopic Cab zone and into at least trying a Sangiovese - very nice. Not better than the MM Old Vines Cab he also recommended (wow - nice)
smiley32.gif

Now I want an opinion or five of a Big, Fat Red to try.

Barolo? Sangiovese? another big Cab? Lay some ideas on me team!

as always, my most humble and gracious appreciation in advance. Brad in Kentucky.

AMARONE. but make sure you age it at least a year in the carboy and 2 in bottles. I just won a medal in Winemakers for my '06 Amarone from Italian fresh juice. It's just starting to really taste great.

Amarone is a great choice. I will also suggest Barolo, Montepulciano, Old Vine Zin, Malbec or Carmenere.

Jeff

*salutes Waldo* The biggest fattest reds on the planet are Australian Shiraz wines. While I don't believe that kits can necessarily compete at the same level with the commercial Aussie Shiraz wine available, of all the kit wines I have made thusfar, the MM Masters Outback Shiraz has the most body and is the 'fattest.'

- Jim

3 YEARS? WTH? I need something I can drink in a week!
smiley2.gif

Wow, this is good Father's Day fodder here. I am forwarding this on to my wife.

Also, I don't think it is a silly idea to go get a bottle of this or that from the Liquor Barn and see which I like - or simply make them all.

Thanks guys for some good ideas I would have never tried.

FYI - my basement gets up in the 70s - is that gonna hurt my wine?

What is the purpose of aging in carboy for a year as opposed to in the bottle?

"What is the purpose of aging in carboy for a year as opposed to in the bottle?"

Since a carboy holds 23000 ml and a bottle only holds 750 ml, many of us feel that the bulk aging in the carboy protects the wine from temperature fluctuations better than a bottle. How much value that is I really can't say. My bottled wine is stored in a closed closet in cardboard case boxes all stacked together, so I would say that the bottled wine is also pretty well protected from temperature swings.

Most of my bulk aging is the result of procrastination more than anything else. :)

Amarone!!!!! Mine is a yr old in the bottle and it gets better by the month!! Nice big flavors!!

Barolo hasn't reached the yr mark yet. It is getting happy getting old in the wine rack. haaha
smiley36.gif

As for aging in bottles, I have never bulk aged any of my wines longer than 2 months. I usually bottle as directed by the instructions. The ones I have opened at the 1 yr or longer mark have been very good. And keep getting better.
Hope this helps~

ooooo Jim, you are tempting me to get the Outback Biggest Fattest kit here soon!!!! hahaha I am so weak....
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Uavwmn,

What is life, if nothing other than a series of temptations? Who knows - perhaps you're looking destiny in the face, dressed as a nice glass of Shiraz. :)

- Jim

There is a thread on this forum about bulk aging. What I gathered from it is... It helps with the complexity of your wine by allowing some of the things you would normally rack off, to naturally break down. Also, you can get away with not using fining agents.

But I agree with what was stated earlier... The biggest advantage would appear to be the temp. not fluctuating as much. Wine in storage should not vary more then 4 degrees.

Latest posts

Back