Mosti Mondiale Love MM - what should I make next

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Simmons

Reaction score
I have made in reds:

Meglioli Cab - love that, but not the price.
Amarone - all juice with raisins - very nice.
Barolo - never let it age - hiccup - sorry.
Sangiovese - love that - super wine.
Black Cherry Shiraz - sissy wine, but gawd, the chicks dig it (that helps me stay popular).
smiley36.gif

Blueberry Shiraz - ok, but too dang sweet, not my cup of tea.

I LOVE a big, fat cab - oakey, smokey - I LOVE Stag's Leap - Artemis.

Any hints, suggestions? I'll probably call George too, but I'd love your feedback.

Brad

I have a MM AJ Petit Syrah that is bulk aging at the moment. Too early to tell how it will turn out but I did add a CC Syrah Grape Pack just for kicks. This will not be an early drinker but I have very high hopes!

Petite Syrah can be an awesome wine all by itself if done right.

How about the Old vine Zinfandel?

I started one this year, It's way to young to know for sure, But so far I have very high hopes.

It will be spending a while in my oak barrel....

This might be a good option for your "BIG, SMOKEY, OAKEY WINE" IMO.....

Yeah... They are sweet!!!

ibglowin and I both have Vadai barrels and love them. You just have to make sure you have wines lined up when you start the barrel. The first few batches go in and out pretty quick. (the small barrels are potent in the begining)

there is supposed to be a cooperage nearby that does the 6s. I have a bunch of 53s - new, ready to go. Anyone want to trade a 53 for a 6?

Oh Wow.... I REALLY wish I had 53 gallons of a wine to take you up on that offer. The 6 gallon barrels are pretty inexpensive (for Vadai).

What do you have 53's for? (dare I ask) haha

bourbon! Now I don't make bourbon, but that is what they're for.

By law, Bourbon has to be many things, some being:

51% or more corn
aged at least 2 years
aged in brand new, charred, White Oak barrels, etc, etc.

I have a buddy here who makes hillbilly wine (Welsh's or wjatever he can get a hold of) and ages it in USED bourbon barrels - OMG, can you imagine the octane on that stuff.

I've never gotten any, so 1 - I can't tell you what it tastes like, but I bet its good, 2 - he says it will take you places very efficiently, and 3 - he must not be that good of a buddy if I haven't gotten any yet. But I digress.

Yes, I'd love to fill those new charred barrels up with a white and a red, but never had the fortitude to spend the change on that much juice.

I get those barrels here for $100 brand new and out the door.

Now that I look at that Vadai site, maybe mine are 58 gallon - regardless, I need me a 6 - without the $150 shipping fee.
smiley2.gif

Goodfella,

Here's a link that may interest you - it is all about the naming and the Law of Bourbon. Many sites out there have great info, but Straight Bourbon is a highly respected one.

If you have interest in wine, its barrel cousin Bourbon has many stories as well, you could get lost for some time in this site.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/articles/ccname.html

Enjoy!

Can I add oak to this Zinfandel? Is it recommended? If so, how much and what type? Any tips are greatly appreciated.

The kit comes with oak (and plenty of it).... I am using a barrel for mine.... But I am sure the supplied oak would be fine.

P.S. Thanks for the link (good read)

Good recommendation. You are most welcome. anytime you want to talk Bourbon, email me.

The Bourbon festival here is awesome. The Museum is here, etc.

One of our employees got a still for his 18th birthday (Dad is a Marine). He is making some awesome stuff - and putting it in the barrels. Too cool - can't wait to try that stuff.

In the meantime, there is wine to be made - and drunk.

Latest posts

Back