Cellar Craft Suggestions on full-bodied dry red

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdeere5220

Farmer Member
Reaction score
Hello Folks,

Well it's pretty obvious from reading on this forum that many of you suggest RJS or Cellar Craft, so I'm ready to branch out beyond my local shop's W.E brand. Trouble is, I have to pay a premium for shipping and have no way to sample, so I have to pick based on YOUR opinions.

So go ahead and tell me your favorite dry, full-bodied reds. I like big, bold red wines with plenty of fruit flavor up front and plenty of tannins for a puckery finish. I would like to pick a Cellar Craft or RJS brand; Cab or Merlot or maybe a Barolo or Malbec, something with a skin pack that I don't get with the local W.E kits.

Last but not least, something drinkable at 6 months and really good at 1 year. I already have enough "Aging" wine, I need something we can at least sample this coming winter!

Lay it on me :h and thanks in advance for your suggestions.

My idea of full bodied reds would be your Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon. Both with a cup of american oak chips per 5 gallon. Mine are aged at least a year before they start to become really good and get better with age.

Others will chime in here but a kit is your best shot at a shorter time but good taste doesn't come quick. Your fruits and whites are good at 6 months.

My red Mount Cab is the best red kit I have made to date. Try it soon, I heard that its almost gone for this year.

I've done both WE kits and CC. I would recommend the CC Sterling series with the grape packs if cost is important. If you have the money the Showcase series is better. I just racked my Rosso Fortissimo last night and it smelled and tasted better than any kit I've done even this early. I've heard the Showcase kits should age a year. Realistically anything can be drank early.

... I just racked my Rosso Fortissimo last night and it smelled and tasted better than any kit I've done even this early. I've heard the Showcase kits should age a year. Realistically anything can be drank early.
If you like the "regular" Rosso Fortissimo, you may be interested to know that Cellar Craft has just announced they are offering a limited release of this kit called Rosso Fortissimo Reserve Cuvee, which contains a larger (2.6L instead of 2.0L) grape pack, and more than twice the original amount of Sangiovese. In case you're wondering, the juice and virgin crushed grapes come from the Bare Ridge Vineyard in Walla Walla WA and includes 2 pouches of toasted European oak.

This particular kit was originally released as an LR kit back in January 2008. It was so popular the manufacturer decided to re-release it....

Brant

If you like the "regular" Rosso Fortissimo, you may be interested to know that Cellar Craft has just announced they are offering a limited release of this kit called Rosso Fortissimo Reserve Cuvee, which contains a larger (2.6L instead of 2.0L) grape pack, and more than twice the original amount of Sangiovese. In case you're wondering, the juice and virgin crushed grapes come from the Bare Ridge Vineyard in Walla Walla WA and includes 2 pouches of toasted European oak.

That is interesting. As I said the RF kit is very tasty even in these early stages. I'll check out that Reserve Cuvee. My grape pack said "Merlot" skins on the outside of it. I assume that is normal for these kits. I'll check that new kit out.
Bill

Back