Which Acid Types to Use?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montyfox

Reaction score
I am getting ready to make my first batch of straight sweet mead. The question I have concerns the acids used. I see that some recipes use both Malic Acid and Tartaric Acid while others call for Acid Blend. I realize that Acid Blend is a mixture of Malic, Tartaric and Citric acid in equal portitons, but what I'd like to know is which is better used in mead.

I know that this may be a personal taste thing as well, but is there any downside to using one over the other?

Also, any other tips, such as starting acid level, would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks
Monty

After further reading on this forum I get the impression that adding acid to a mead mix is a no no. Being brand new to winemaking I'm starting to think that I'm not ready to tackle mead making. I did purchase The Compleat Meadmaker by Ken Schramm as I still really want to give this a go. Any tips would still be welcomed.

Monty

I wouldn't add any. I have only seen a couple recipes that say to add any but I'm not sure i would. I currently have a batch of Joe M's Ancient orange mead working away for about a month now, and I'm considering making a mead from 100% cranberry/pomegranate juice (no water added just juice) I want to see what the ancient orange is like before i attempt the latter. Joe m's ancient orange will be my first mead, so i am by no means a pro i just know what i have read.

Latest posts

Back