Where'd I go wrong

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jekern1015

Reaction score
Oct. of last year I pressed some apples and peaches from our trees in the backyard, enough to fill up two carboys. I did the camden tablet and added some yeast. Nov. last year I transferred to new carboy and they have been sitting in the basement ever since. I pulled them both out this weekend, the SG of the apple is at 1.010 and the peach is at 1.004. When I pull the air locks off the carboys both had a heavy alcohol smell and taste.Where did I go wrong, there is no apple or peach flavor just alcohol.

Hi,
what was your initial SG?
what is the current ABV? It seems that you have a stuck fermentation...
the culprit may be temperature, yeast type (what type of yeast did you use? every type has a temperature and max ABV), yeast lacking nutrients, too much SO2(how much kmeta or campden tablets added?), or etc...
By coincidence I have a stuck fermentation too, in 2 carboys, with the exact same SG as you! I am contemplating on restarting my yeast.

sour_grapes gave me this link. It gives you the procedures for restarting yeast.
http://www.scottlab.com/uploads/docu...startStuck.pdf

Its a bit of extra work so I've been pushing off for a weekend that I am free.
Can you explain the taste of your wine in detail?

Oct. of last year I pressed some apples and peaches from our trees in the backyard, enough to fill up two carboys. I did the camden tablet and added some yeast. Nov. last year I transferred to new carboy and they have been sitting in the basement ever since. I pulled them both out this weekend, the SG of the apple is at 1.010 and the peach is at 1.004. When I pull the air locks off the carboys both had a heavy alcohol smell and taste.Where did I go wrong, there is no apple or peach flavor just alcohol.

jekern,
You are going to have to provide more info before anyone can give you any worth while help. The recipe you used would help a lot. How many pounds of fruit did you use in each? Did you use pectic enzyme, yeast nutrient, or any of the other common additives? What temperature did your ferment at? Please give us as thorough a run down on how you proceeded starting at day one. There are many people on this forum just waiting to help, but trying to answer your questions as they are would be guessing. You can't give us too much info.

LOUMIK:b

And what was the SG when you racked last November?

I agree more information would be helpful -

In the past my apple wine always needed to be back sweetened with frozen concentrate in order to get the apple tase back. Try that and see if the hotness goes away -

here is all the info I have
Sept. 8, 2014 I juiced peaches and ended up with 3 gal of juice. I added 3
Campden tablets.
Sept 9 I cleaned air lock of all peach juice and refilled with water.
Sept. 10 I transfered into a 6 gallon bucket S.G was 1.04
added 3 cups of sugar S.G. now at 1.070
added 3 teaspoons fermax yeast nutrient
added 2 teaspoons yeast energizer
added 1 packet QA23 Lalvin yeast
Sept. 17 Transfered to a 3 gal. carboy S.G. was 1.010
Sept 27 Transfered to a clean 3 gal. carboy via cheesecloth and funnel S.G. was
Sept 13.2015 S.G. is 1.004

The apple notes have done the Lucky Charm on me and have magically disappeared.

You can add more yeast to see if the batches will ferment the rest of the way to dry.

From there, you can stabilize adding camden tablets and potassium sorbate.

Then I would add concentrate to back-sweeten and add more flavor. This is pretty common practice for fruit wines and cider.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back