When to transfer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
Top of the morning to all:
This morning my Peach has a SpGr of .996. It hasn't been 7 days yet, but I think it may be time to move it to the carboy w/airlock. What say you?

Semper Fi

Later Bud

Top of the morning to all:
This morning my Peach has a SpGr of .996. It hasn't been 7 days yet, but I think it may be time to move it to the carboy w/airlock. What say you?

Semper Fi

Later Bud

Bud If this was from fresh Peaches I would rack it off the gross Lees and into a carboy for secondary fermentation if thats what you want to do.

Never go by # of days, mother nature doesnt wear a watch and doesnt care what time it is so that she can slow down or speed up a fermentation. It is time to get that into glass, topped up and stabilized and airlock added.

Move It Move It Move It. Yes several of us have just recently commented on how this years juices have fermented quick. Always go by your hydrometer.

Rack and degass, add sulfite. Top off and airlock for sure.

Yes like Steve and Wade said.
BUTT, You may want to make a f-pac and backsweeten. SO, in addition what Steve said add SORBATE as well sulfite.

This brings on more ?

Rack it: I was planning on just straining it and pouring it into the carboy with an air lock. I thought "Racking" meant to siphon it off?
The man at the wine supply store told me that Campden was the same as Sorbate and sulfite. So, can I just add 1 campden tablet per gallon and will that do the trick. Considering it's Saturday nite and Campden is all I have.
Also, I thought that you only de-gassed after you put it in the jug with the air lock and it stopped bubbling?

Thanks for any help

Semper Fi

Later Bud

It is NOT the same a Sorbate. But is the same as SULFITE

Campden and sorbate are not the same, big diff. I transfer when SG gets below 1.

Back