RJ Spagnols When should I add sparkolloid?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foursons

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, this is my situation
I am making Rj's Ochard breezin. It is a 4 week kit but Im doing it for 6 weeks.
I bought sparkolloids from RJ but they dont mention when to put it..,

So this is what I do, i do 2 weeks in primary fermentation and then I rack it (then stabilize/fine/degass), and let it sit for 4 weeks before filtering. Usually bottle right after

My questions is:
At which point should I add the sparkolloid?
Thanks

No reason to add sparkolloid to that kit (or any other). UNLESS the wine is not clearing by bottling time. Then you would be looking for help, and sparkolloid is one of the choices.

I ran a Ferment on Premises operation until 2007. There were some problems with OB kits clearing during the last year or so. Sparkolloid worked for me, but I only used it on kits that weren't clearing. It delayed bottling a week in most cases (if my memory is any good). BTW, after the store closed, Spagnols was recommending a second dose of one of the clearing agents but I can't recall which one (Chitosan or kieselsol).

Steve

For Sparkolloid it is added HOT to your wine after fermentation is complete, you've racked off of sediment and added K-Meta. 2 ounces of water and 1 teaspoon Sparkolloid for each gallon of wine. Add a little extra water for evaporation.

Simmer 30 minutes stirring often to prevent burning. Fill wine to shoulders of carboy. Add 3/4 of finished Sparkolloid thru funnel into wine, stir vigorously to blend. Add additional wine to below carboy knuckle. Add extra Sparkolloid and stir in as best possible.

Add bung with airlock. If you do it correctly your wine will start showing signs of clearing within an hour. Your wine must be degassed.

If the kit does not call for sparkolloid or bentonite you probably won't need it.

The OB kit should already have Bentonite, Kieselsol, and Chitosan. Those are your clearing agents.

Like Steve said, you only need the sparkoloid if the kits till hasn't cleared.

When to use if it hasn't cleared? Right before the filtering stage (clear before filtering), or when you get to what should be the bottling stage, and it still is not clear, then:
rack to a new carboy leaving behind sediment
Then add sparkoloid and wait again.

Latest posts

Back