when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how many have used or tried using ZESTING

• Total voters
Semillon/sauvignon blanc blend

talk About a mouth feel and flavor this is a outstanding kit to do and i will do this one again, along the shiraz/viognier again.

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Semillon/sauvignon blanc blend cont.

SEMILLON/SAVIGNON A BEAUTIFUL BALANCE OF TEXTURE AND TASTE FOLLOW THE FLOW..:spm

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Joe,

If you bumped up your SG to 1.100 as it appears you did and this wine finished out to 0.994 (dry). Your final ABV will be 14.1%, not 13%.

Semillon/sauvignon blanc blend cont.

close enough for home wine making,,don't you think? being above the 12% abv. Is a good thing especially with good balance and not being"hot":)

OK so that statement made absolutely no sense to me whatsoever!

At 14.1% that will be a screaming HOT white wine in my opinion and will also be completely out of balance. Again just my opinion but that is just way too high ABV for a white wine.

Last edited:
Semillon/sauvignon blanc blend

Remember the fpac I made for the batch that is the equalizer, but to understand the process you first have to try my process, it works. There are a lot of things I do that people STATE shouldn't work or don't have a barring of the process,. But they never tried the process to really understand. It's just my way. As I stated it has great taste and texture with good balance and on March 22nd next year I will win a pro-judges choice award for it ,and that you can take to the bank.:try

10.jpg

15.jpg

IMG_20150423_144859992 - Copy.jpg

Diablo rojo

DIABLO ROJO, A GREAT WINE STYLE TO BE CREATIVE WITH FOLLOW ME AND THE PROCESS AND SEE WHAT THIS WINE KIT CAN REALLY TURN OUT TO BE ,BOLD ,DEEP AND TASTY..FOLLOW THE FLOW.:pic

1.jpg

3.jpg

4 (2).jpg

4a.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Diablo rojo cont.

stage two on the flow ,any questions?:)

DIABLO ROJO; THIS OFF, DRY AND DARK PURPLE IN COLOR BLEND ,NOISE OF BLACKBERRY JAM MINGLED WITH CREATIVE VANILLA AROMAS AND A TOUCH OF TOBACCO AND A BRANDY STYLE FINISH YET IT IS A WINE ALL THE WAY.

SOUNDS LIKE MOUTHFUL. WHERE GONNA MAKE IT JUST THAT. OUR TWEAKS TO THIS KIT WILL BE AS FOLLOWS.

WERE GOING TO CHANGE THE YEAST ,TWO EC 1118 THIS IS DUE TO THE TEMPERATURE FLUCTUATIONS IN OUR WORKSPACE. SECONDLY, GOING TO ADD A SMOKED WOODEN STAVE ALONG WITH OAK TANNINS IN THE SECONDARY. WE ARE GOING TO USE A BELLY BAND DUE TO THE TEMPERATURE IN OUR WORKSPACE. THE OAK STAVE WILL GO IN THE PRIMARY, THE OAK TANNINS WILL GO IN THE SECONDARY AND LONG WITH A HANDFUL OF FRESH BLACKBERRIES JUST SQUEEZED. THIS IS A DIFFERENT KIND OF FPAC JUST A HANDFUL OF BERRIES. NOTHING TO OVERPOWER
BERRIES. NOTHING TO OVERPOWER NOTHING TO OVERWHELM JUST A TOUCH OF BLACKBERRY DEPTH. REMEMBER, THIS IS STILL A ROJO AND THE STYLE IS BOLD AND FRUITY. WE MAY ALSO BRING UP THE ABV. TO 1.14. THIS ONE SHOULD TURN OUT TO BE A MOUTHFUL... FOLLOW THE FLOW..

FINISH; great flavor, fruits and woods intertwined medium body and A smooth finish. If I WOULD HAVE CHANGED ANYTHING IT WOULD BOOSTED UP THE PH A LITTLE MORE.,LET SEE WHAT AGEING WILL DO FOR THIS BEAUTY.

11.jpg

13.jpg

15.jpg

16 (2).jpg

16 (3).jpg

16A (2).jpg

18 (2).jpg

18B.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Last edited:
Basic wine chemistry

A TIME TO REMEMBER??????WHAT IS THAT USED FOR ,WHEN TO USE AND WHY??:wy
Basic Wine Chemistry

Chaptalization is the process of adding sugar to unfermented grape developed by the French chemist Jean-Antoine-Claude Chaptal, for whom it was named. Contrary to popular belief, this process does not make the wine sweeter but only artificially inflates the alcohol content. Additionally, the sugar in chaptalized wine cannot be tasted.
Potassium Metabisulfite is a common wine or must additive, where it forms sulfur dioxide gas (SO2). This both prevents most wild microorganisms from growing, and it acts as potent antioxidant, protecting both the color, and delicate flavors of wine.
Typical dosage is ¼ tsp potassium metabisulfite, per 6 gallon bucket of must (yielding roughly 75ppm of SO2) prior to fermentation, and ½ tsp per 6 gallon bucket (150 ppm of SO2) at bottling.
Winemaking equipment is sanitized by spraying with a 1% SO2 (2 tsp potassium metabisulfite per L) solution.
Potassium Sorbate is used to inhibit molds, and yeasts in wine. Also known affectionately as “wine stabilizer”, potassium sorbate produces sorbic acid when added to wine. It serves two purposes. When active fermentation has ceased and the wine is racked for the final time after clearing, potassium sorbate will continue fermenting any residual sugar into CO2 and alcohol, but when they die no new yeast will be present to cause future fermentation. When a wine is sweetened before bottling, potassium sorbate is used to prevent refermentation when used in conjunction with potassium metabisulfite. It is primarily used with sweet wines, sparkling wines and some hard cider but may be added to table wines which exhibits difficulty in maintaining clarity after fining.

Toms wine kits

LETS REVIEW THE ENEXPESIVE WINE KITS TOM MADE AND ALSO SEE WHAT THE FINIAL TASTE OUTCOME WAS.FOLLOE THE
TOM AND I ARE GOING TO MAKE TWO INEXPENSIVE WINE KITS FROM FONTANA WINE THESE ARE 4 WEEKS KITS SOMETHING TO PLAY AROUND WITH AND TO EXPERIMENT WITH AS WELL.WERE NOT GOING TO DO ANYTHING FANCY WITH THEM JUST WANT TO MAKE THESE CHEAP KITS SO THAT WHEN THEY FINISH THEY TASTE GOOD,WE’LL SEE.
1. SHORTEN THE VOLUMN FROM A 6 TO A 5 GALLON
2. CAPITALIZE EACH TO A STARTING SG OF 1.10
3. ADDED OAK TO BOTH ONLY/ONE CAME WITH OAK
4. IN THE SECONDARY WILL ADD 1 TABLE SPOON OF OAK TANNINS.

THE IDEA OF SHORTENNING THE VOLUMN WAS TO INCREASE THE DENSITY OF THE BASE, AS IT WAS IF WE WERE TO MAKE A 6-GALLON BATCH AS DIRECTED THE WINE WOULD HAVE BEEN VERY THIN AND VERY LITTLE ALCOHOL. THE INEXPENSIVE KITS THAT STATE FOR 6 GALLONS IN MY OPPION CAN BE MADE INTO A 5 GALLON BATCH WITH OUT SERIOUS CONSEQUENCES UNLESS THEY HAVE A FPAC FROM THE MANUFACTURE.

THIS SHOULD BE A SHORT PROCESS AND MaYBE,JUST MAY BE A WAY TO CURVE THOSE HIGHER WINE KIT COSTS???
Well so far so good no problem on the consistence or taste of the product going into the secondary, we’ve added wine tannins and a cup of oak again this time to the secondary, we’ll degas for the next week every other day take a ph reading see were where at then will add the chems and start the fining process. There were no difficulties with the volume reduction on the contrary it gave the wine more body and flavor for a 4 week wine kit, not bad so far at all. Now if this had an fpac okay don’t mess with the volume, but it didn’t sometimes the process isn’t always just right, we as wine makers have the ability to adjust to our needs…follow the flow.
FLOW...

1.jpg

1a.jpg

1aa (2).jpg

1b (2).jpg

1c.jpg

2A.jpg

2B.jpg

2C.jpg

2D.jpg

3.jpg

I have since bottled both wines. Now the wife and daughter are my tasters. Both said it had something that the other juices didn't. (more alcohol) I reminded them I boosted the gravity and made a 5 gallon instead of the usual 6. For a 28 week wine it was drunk shortly after bottling. I have since bought 3 more varieties soon to be started. The profiles of these wines was SPOT ON. Pretty hard for an inexpensive kit. Wife liked the Cab/ Sauv better that the juice wines.
:dg:dg:dg:dg:dg:dg:dg:dg:dg

Last edited:
KATE'S CHEAP CHARDONNAY continued

kate made this chardonnay and with a few tweaks came out very nice .follow the flow..

1 Box.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Last edited:

EASY AND FUN TO PLAY WITH,FOLLOW THE TWEAK

Katie’s Chardonnay Kit

It’s been a while since I’ve created a post of my own; I’ve been primarily helping Joeswine with the upkeep of his posts. I wanted to share this kit with everyone because I’ve tried it before and know that it turns out pretty awesome.
This is a Fontana Wine kit I recently purchased off-line. This traditionally is a 6-gallon kit but I are not making it like so. I am making this a 5-gallon kit as to keep the flavor and better balance between alcohol and wine with the contribution of the one cup of oak (which is traditional to a Chardonnay).
Ingredients:
These are all the basic ingredients that came with the kit. Please see the pictures attached.

What additional changes I’ve made:
-Changing the end volume of the wine from 6 gallons to 5 gallons
-adding the cup of oak
-At the end, by reducing the volume of concentrate, we increased the ABV without even trying.
-Personal preference: I will be adding zest of 1 grapefruit before racking. This will pick up the PH and give it a clean, crisp finish.
See the pictures for the process. J
WERE NEARRING THE FINIS WE LEFT OUR WINE IN THE COLD SINK FOR 14 DAYS AND IT CLEARED QUIT NICELY, WE KNEW RACKING BACK TO A ONE MIX CONTAINER WOULD CAUSE US TO HAVE TO RECLEAR ONE MORE TIME; THE WORK IS NOT A BIG DEAL WHAT IS, THE FINISH.

BEFORE I RACKED I TASTED THIS WINE AND LIKE I THOUGHT, THE WHITES SHOULD GO INTO A 5 GALLONS PROCESS ALSO.JUST LIKE THE REDS, THE WHITES EVEN WITH ALL THE SOLIDS WOULD HAVE NOT (IMOP) HAVE HAD MUCH TASTE, BRINGING THEM DOWN TO 5 GALLONS GAVES THESE KITS LIFE AND WITH THE SMALL AMOUNT OF TWEAKS THAT WE DID, WAS JUSTFIDE .SO WHAT WAS THE RESULTS??
SMOOTH UP FRONT WITH DECIENT FRUIT NOT OVER WHELMING BUT STILL THERE, CRISP ACIDITY WITH A CLEAN FINISH, WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT OUR YIELD WAS WHEN WE BOTTLE AND OUR COST PER BOTTLE.
KATES PROCESS......................:mny

11A.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

IMG_20150827_161755336.jpg

Last edited:

:brTHIS IS THE LAST PHASE FOLLOW THE FLOW TO BOTTLING,NICE KIT FOR THE PRICE.REMEMBER IT'S JUST A BASE FOR USE

Katie’s Chardonnay Kit

It’s been a while since I’ve created a post of my own; I’ve been primarily helping Joeswine with the upkeep of his posts. I wanted to share this kit with everyone because I’ve tried it before and know that it turns out pretty awesome.
This is a Fontana Wine kit I recently purchased off-line. This traditionally is a 6-gallon kit but I are not making it like so. I am making this a 5-gallon kit as to keep the flavor and better balance between alcohol and wine with the contribution of the one cup of oak (which is traditional to a Chardonnay).
Ingredients:
These are all the basic ingredients that came with the kit. Please see the pictures attached.

-adding the cup of oak
-At the end, by reducing the volume of concentrate, we increased the ABV without even trying.
-Personal preference: I will be adding zest of 1 grapefruit before racking. This will pick up the PH and give it a clean, crisp finish.
WERE NEARRING THE FINIS WE LEFT OUR WINE IN THE COLD SINK FOR 14 DAYS AND IT CLEARED QUIT NICELY, WE KNEW RACKING BACK TO A ONE MIX CONTAINER WOULD CAUSE US TO HAVE TO RECLEAR ONE MORE TIME; THE WORK IS NOT A BIG DEAL WHAT IS, THE FINISH.

BEFORE I RACKED I TASTED THIS WINE AND LIKE I THOUGHT, THE WHITES SHOULD GO INTO A 5 GALLONS PROCESS ALSO.JUST LIKE THE REDS, THE WHITES EVEN WITH ALL THE SOLIDS WOULD HAVE NOT (IMOP) HAVE HAD MUCH TASTE, BRINGING THEM DOWN TO 5 GALLONS GAVES THESE KITS LIFE AND WITH THE SMALL AMOUNT OF TWEAKS THAT WE DID, WAS JUSTFIDE .SO WHAT WAS THE RESULTS??
SMOOTH UP FRONT WITH DECIENT FRUIT NOT OVER WHELMING BUT STILL THERE, CRISP ACIDITY WITH A CLEAN FINISH, WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT OUR YIELD WAS WHEN WE BOTTLE AND OUR COST PER BOTTLE.

Katie’s Chardonnay Kit

Ingredients:

-adding the cup of oak

Katie’s Chardonnay Kit

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

Kate's cheap chardonnay

go back and review kate's cheap chardonnay and see what you can do with this inexpensive kit

Just bottled my Pino Gris. Cleared much better than Kates chardonay.

Back