when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how many have used or tried using ZESTING

• Total voters
Sangiovese the prince of italian reds

we started off with a 6 gallon batch ,after fermentation I used a 6 gallon carboy and dry nitrogen for a header, then I use a larger carboy then needed to work off any excess gasses and if I need to add any other item, I have room to work. GOT IT! Then when I'm confident that the wine is still I move it to the appropriate size vessel and use either the head space eliminator or nitrogen again, always racking down to ensure a tight environment for the wine.:h
This was a balanced kit at 1.10 I didn't want to push it so no I didn't capitalize, not this time,

20 good stir (480x640).jpg

21 headspace.jpg

22 SG reading.jpg

23 Nitrogen.jpg

P1030035.jpg

Last edited:
Sangiovese the prince of italian reds

Bottling time to the finish a great red to have in your cellar no matter who's.

dip in boiling water.jpg

Ferrari Bottle filler.jpg

filling the bottles.jpg

fitting the seal onto the bottle.jpg

funnel.jpg

ingredients n tools.jpg

labeled (1).jpg

sanitized bottles.jpg

taste before bottling (1).JPG

labeled (2).jpg

Super tuscan

the name saids it all.........:hb..follow the flow ....................and it turned out great.

1.jpg

1A.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

8a.jpg

8a1.jpg

Super tuscan continued

IT'S IMPORTANT TO HAVE A PLAN AND KNOW THE RPOCESS............................:h

8b.jpg

8c.jpg

9.jpg

9a.jpg

10.jpg

10a.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

12a.jpg

13.jpg

Super tuscan continued

stay A WAKE still :ibmore to go...:h..two more phases of the process to go after one, I will post later, it's a lot to absorb.

13.jpg

15.jpg

15a.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

17a.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

Last edited:
Super tuscan

BROKE through the big red ITALIAN wine makers here in Hammonton with my SUPER TUSCAN, follow the flow.............:HB

1.jpg

1A.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

8a.jpg

8a1.jpg

Last edited:
Question about the semi-dry classification for the Tuscan. I noticed some of your awards are semi-dry categories but the wines types should be dry. Is that just how the event classified the wines?

Or am I losing it and semi-dry. = dry

in the mix

Yes that's how I classified the wine .and that's what they pput it up against in its flight. My Wines although according to the manufacturer are dry can fit into either classification.this one came out super Tuscan, smooth clean and clear with good fruit. And balanced Woods.

Diablo rojo

this is a very cool wine for your cellar follow my flow..:HB:HB:HB:HB:HB:HB:HB:HB:HB:HB:HB:HB
you can take this $80 kit and be as creative as you want.

1.jpg

3.jpg

4 (2).jpg

4a.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Diablo rojo cont.

stay the course and have fun with wine making..:db

DIABLO ROJO; THIS OFF, DRY AND DARK PURPLE IN COLOR BLEND ,NOISE OF BLACKBERRY JAM MINGLED WITH CREATIVE VANILLA AROMAS AND A TOUCH OF TOBACCO AND A BRANDY STYLE FINISH YET IT IS A WINE ALL THE WAY.

SOUNDS LIKE MOUTHFUL. WHERE GONNA MAKE IT JUST THAT. OUR TWEAKS TO THIS KIT WILL BE AS FOLLOWS.

WERE GOING TO CHANGE THE YEAST ,TWO EC 1118 THIS IS DUE TO THE TEMPERATURE FLUCTUATIONS IN OUR WORKSPACE. SECONDLY, GOING TO ADD A SMOKED WOODEN STAVE ALONG WITH OAK TANNINS IN THE SECONDARY. WE ARE GOING TO USE A BELLY BAND DUE TO THE TEMPERATURE IN OUR WORKSPACE. THE OAK STAVE WILL GO IN THE PRIMARY, THE OAK TANNINS WILL GO IN THE SECONDARY AND LONG WITH A HANDFUL OF FRESH BLACKBERRIES JUST SQUEEZED. THIS IS A DIFFERENT KIND OF FPAC JUST A HANDFUL OF BERRIES. NOTHING TO OVERPOWER
BERRIES. NOTHING TO OVERPOWER NOTHING TO OVERWHELM JUST A TOUCH OF BLACKBERRY DEPTH. REMEMBER, THIS IS STILL A ROJO AND THE STYLE IS BOLD AND FRUITY. WE MAY ALSO BRING UP THE ABV. TO 1.14. THIS ONE SHOULD TURN OUT TO BE A MOUTHFUL... FOLLOW THE FLOW..

FINISH; great flavor fruits and woods intertwined medium body and smooth finish. If I WOULD HAVE CHANGED ANYTHING IT WOULD BOOSTED UP THE PH A LITTLE MORE.

11.jpg

13.jpg

15.jpg

16 (2).jpg

16 (3).jpg

16A (2).jpg

16a.jpg

18 (2).jpg

18A.jpg

20.jpg

Last edited:
Super tuscan

For all you Big Red wine drinkers this ones a must to play with..:db

1.jpg

1A.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

8a.jpg

8a1.jpg

Super tuscan continued

It pays to pay attention to the MFG> flow if you intend to tweak as you go along. Knowing what they expect and what your deviations are my conflict with the final out come, just a thought. I do it all the time but first I know the basics and I have a plan also.

8b.jpg

8c.jpg

9.jpg

9a.jpg

10.jpg

10a.jpg

11.jpg

12a.jpg

13.jpg

15.jpg

Super tuscan continued

Now were at the end ,I know I get lengthy but each step is a part of a larger process and for the beginners and some of you oldies details mean a lot.

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

IMG_20150805_185011158.jpg

1.jpg

1 gallon wine kits

Remember these ? well I just got around to my wine works and finally got to these. I wouldn't do these as a rule but for a gift to get someone starting into wine making Yes (with your help), BUT, what a good wine maker could do with these 1 gallon kits is over whelming. Imagine the wine combinations you can make by using a base wine whether it be a cheap kit or a moderately priced kit and adding one of these 1 gallon kits to the base.Here's how mine finished out.

The PINO grigio, sharp and clean, the Merlot excellent with the raisins added,no rasisiny taste just good depth great balance of Oak all out of a 1 gallon kit.The finished product you'll see as the last pics,first the pino,them the Merlot.

2.jpg

IMG_20160114_121708647 - Copy.jpg

1.jpg

IMG_20160114_113734436.jpg

IMG_20160616_130405396_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160616_130415152.jpg

1a.jpg

Last edited:
La Batalla Spanish red

Before I move on with this thread I would like to review the process with you. The tweaks were small but the kit was large $$ so I need to step lightly. follow the flow......:HB

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

3a.jpg

4.jpg

4a.jpg

5.jpg

5b.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

La Batalla Spanish red continued

looks good so far did you take notice of the ABV. starting SG.? follow the flow....:HB

7a.jpg

9.jpg

IMG_20160609_162831099.jpg

Latest posts

Back