when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how many have used or tried using ZESTING

• Total voters
Amarone EP RJS RECAP

AMARONE EP RJS RECAP

DAY ONE: We santized everything that was to come in contact with our amarone. We checked to make sure we had everything that was included with the kit and anything else we may need to complete the process. we read all the directions first to make sure we had a good understanding. Everything is ready to go so we then can proceed.
To our fermentor we added bentonite warm water, mixing well to completly desolve. To the benonite mixture we added the large bag of amarone must plus enough pring water to make 6 gallons, stiring vigorously! Taking a OG reading 1.992. We then capitaized the must with simple sryup to get a reading of 1.102. We proceeded adding oak chips to a bag along with raisins and the beloved amarone grape skins, then submerged it into the must. We let it rest.

1 The Box.jpg

2 Whats included in the box.jpg

3 Directions.jpg

6 mixing bentonite with warm water.jpg

7 adding liquid Amarone.jpg

9 added spring water to the 6 gallon mark. appox 1.5 gallons added.jpg

9-2 added simple syurp to sg 1.102.jpg

11 adding grape skins.jpg

13 adding the bag to the must.jpg

14 covering the must and letting it rest.jpg

Next step

We checked the PH 3.47 Temp 69 and the SG was still 1.102. we are ready to pitch the yeast. We are using Lavlin 1118. A day later we have fermentation going strong!!:d and within a few days temp has gone up and SG has gone down. As fermentation slows down and the temp resides, we are watching:wy not jumping the gun here but letting it finish out to completion. FG 0.994. it is ready to rack to it's secondary home :try

15 testing the PH 3.47.jpg

16 temp 69.jpg

17 adding the yeast Lavlin 1118.jpg

18 fermetation has begun.jpg

19 rice crispies.jpg

20 sg has dropped 1.030.jpg

21 temp has gone up to 80.jpg

22 almost there.jpg

22-1 final SG 0.994.jpg

Racking to secondary

RACKING TO SECONDARY

Again, sanitizing everything that comes in contact with the wine! We racked our Amarone from fermentation bucket to secondary carboy with our pump slowly degasing some along the way. The following day we degassed our Amarone a little more. I had to take a little sample for myself and all the hard work I put in it, was the least I could do. Cheers! Did you notice the legs? It has that Amarone flavor I crave. The tannins are there and I suspect they will mellow out with a little aging.:try

I want to say a special Thank you to two people at this point.

Joe, Thank you so much!!! All though I could have done this kit on my own, I am convinced that doing it so far with the tips you have given me and the skills you are teaching, it is going to be so much better than I could have ever done on my own. The skills I am taking from this experience will serve me for a long time. Cheers!

Steve AIO, Thank you for all the picture editing help lol I'm still learning here too! Cheers!

23 sanitized and ready to rack to secondary.jpg

24 racking and deassing slowly at the same time.jpg

25  a little more degassing.jpg

26 love the legs.jpg

Last edited:
Amarone the king of italian reds

now let it rest..................keep degassing and let it rest....excellent job it will become very flavorful and smooth ......:pic.....till the next phase ....:r

Blackberry /zinfandel

angelina will return for the bottling phase of her AMARONE until then he's another lady wine maker KATE with a inexpensive kit from AMAZON completed in every way and great for summer tasting..follow her process.................

1 contents.jpg

2 kit box.jpg

3. bentonite.jpg

4 juice.jpg

5 SG reading.jpg

6 simple syrup.jpg

7 second SG reading.jpg

8 yeast.jpg

9 tag.jpg

20140710_203826.jpg

Last edited:
Blackberry /zinfandel

actually it's a bit on the sweet side if I were to make it or she was to make it again I would bring the abv. up to 14% because the fpac is powerful, but that's me for the price you can't touch it, the only thing they don't supply you with is the bottles. A very good kit for someone just starting out without a lot of funds .:u..bulk aging really not required ,very similar to a ISLAND MIST, kit meant to be consumed young. COST $1.62 per bottle.

blackberry/zinfindel

Hi Joe,
Where did you get the cornucopia kit from---Amazon?
Most of my requests just say I will be notified?
thanks,
Corinth

Paklab, Just sayin. I've never made the fruit blend kits. I have made 30+ of the wine kits.

Blackberry /zinfandel

AMAZON, and yes they are out of stock at the moment...............how is your AMARONE coming along?............................................:br

It is sitting quietly. I did give my Amarone some thought since we chatted and the flavor is very good, a little light but it did fill my senses with a beautiful Amarone aroma. On the notes I tasted dried plums, spices, and a little wood. It was bitter on the end. The warmth of the alcohol is there but not hot. The acid was present but not high. It has potential!

Last edited:
Amarone the king of italian reds

THE WINE SHOULD BE A LITTLE BITTER THAT'S WHAT THE NAME IMPLIES,BITTER WINE,AROMA VERY HARD FOR A HOME WINE MAKER TO ESTABLISH IN A WINE OF ANY STYLE,IT'S THE WAY IT IS.IT'S ALL ABOUT YOUR TASTE AND TIMING..SO FAR YOUR DOING EXCELLENT..:try

Shiraz with black CORTHIAN grapes

excellent base to play with and a good choice of background characters to go as long with the play,follow the process...........

1 Wineexpert Shiraz kit.jpg

2 kit contents.jpg

3 Corinth Grapes.jpg

4 yeast.jpg

5 bentonite.jpg

6 stir.jpg

7 SG reading.jpg

8 chapitalization.jpg

9 add yeast.jpg

10 add oak.jpg

Black berry port

THIS WILLBE MY NEXT BEST OF SHOW :pic FOLLOW THE PROCESS IT GETS A LITTLE TRICKY WITH THE DIFFERENT SG'S IVE SHOWED YOU BUT TRY TO THINK OF IT AS A 3 PART STEP,IF YOU GET CONFUSSED NOT TO WORRY ...JUST ASK,THIS IS TRULY A TASTY KIT..FOLLOW MY FLOW TO ANOTHER WINNER....:r

1. BLACK BERRY PORT: THIS KIT HAS ALL THE PROPERITIES OF THE COFFE AND CARAMEL WINE PORT KITS THE DIFFERENCE IS IT’S A WINE EXPERTS AND NOT A CRU...ALL THE SAME PLAYERS ARE INVOLVED, HERE IS WHAT ARE CHANGES WILL BE:

1. CAPITOLIZE WITH SIMPLE SYRUP RATHER THAN, THEIR DEXTROUSE IS EQUAL TO 1 QUART OF SIMPLE SYRUP.
2. THE ADDITION OF OUR OWN FRESH BLACKBERRY FPAC TO THE SECONDARY

3.THE ADDITION OF 1 TABLE SPOON OF WINE TANNINSTO THE SECONDARY FOR BALANCE PHASE 2: CAPITALIZATION, ONE QUART OF SIMPLE SYRUP AT THIS POINT DO NOT RACK LET THE YEAST AND SYRUP WORK TOGETHER FOR AT LEAST 3 TO 4 DAYS,STILL IN A OPEN BUCKET,BE READY TO MOVE TO GLASS BY THEN.

4.WE REMOVED THE PORT FROM THE BUCKET AND HAD MORE THEN NEEDED BY ½ GALLON .AFTER EXTRACTION OF SOME SO I COULD WORK THE PORT AND ADD THE CHEMS AND FINING AGENT AND GIVE AGOOD STIR, I WAS ABLE TO TOP OFF WITH THE BASE PORT LEFT OVERS, WITH THE ½ GALLON LEFT I WILL MAKE A BLACK BERRY CELLO., NOW WILL LET TIME WORK ON THE PRODUCT IT TASTED EXCELLENT AT THIS STAGE IT CAN ONLY GET BETTER…

1.jpg

1a.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

6a.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Black berry port phase two

THE PROCESS IS LENGTHY DO TO THE DETAILS NEEDED IN CAPITALIZING IN THE PRIMARY....:u

9a.jpg

10.jpg

11a.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

16a.jpg

17.jpg

Black berry port phase three

STILL WORK TO DO ....:mny....THIS WILL BE DELIOUSES

18a.jpg

19.jpg

21.jpg

21a.jpg

21b.jpg

21c.jpg

21d.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

Black berry port

WHILE THIS KIT IS SITTING GO BACK AND REVIEW THE PROCESS AND SEE WHAT CHANGES I MADE TO MAKE THIS MY NEXT BEST OF SHOW..:u

WHILE WERE WAITING LETS LOOK AT A GREAT RED/WHITE COMBINATION
SHIRAZ /VIOGNIER...A TRULY SPECIAL WINE FOR ANY OCCASION

1.jpg

IMG_20140330_122520269.jpg

IMG_20140330_122536984.jpg

IMG_20140330_122710081.jpg

IMG_20140728_132604638.jpg

IMG_20140728_132613537.jpg

IMG_20140728_132639615.jpg

IMG_20140728_134428894.jpg

IMG_20140728_134037405.jpg

Last edited: