Wheat harvest

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winebreath

Reaction score
Started cutting wheat on the 15th and is going good so far. Had one inch of rain so am waiting for that to dry out so we can go again.
I figured that there aren't many farmers on this board so I just thought I would share a little farm life with ya all.....and I wanted to try my camera out by taking pic's thru the glass and in motion...it works!

OH....and BTW...if you eat bread, this is where it comes from:D

Later, WB

P6150004.JPG

P6150006.JPG

Those wheat fields that go one forever is why the US gets what it wants, they feed the world,
My Cousin grows Wheat, sunflowers, and soy in S Dakota. It looks the same out his windows too

got another farmer on here!! What's the price and are you cutting hard red winter or soft white?

got another farmer on here!! What's the price and are you cutting hard red winter or soft white?

Hello fellow farmer Lloyd,

Hard red in the central plains.
The price has been well over $8.00/bu, but lately the speculators have been playing havoc and it is now in the $7.00's.
That may sound like a good price but when you figure in the costs of fertilizers ($$600.00 to 1200.00/ ton, fuel prices, which you all can relate to, but we farmers use alot more, seed costs, repairs ect......it ain't that great.
I haven't cut a whole lot yet but it seems to be over 50 bu/acre which is good for this area. We were not far from the really dry areas and I hear yields in the 10-20 bu range which doesn't even come close to break-even.

I guess that is one reason that I make wine/beer/peee:b:D

How about you, what do you grow and how is it doing??

Later, WB-out

I'm not a farmer but drive thru so much farm land around Il. I get to see how things grow. After driving to central Il. and back up to the northern region of the state I did see the wheat just starting to dry down, well south of where I live. Every wheat field that I've seen north of I-80 is still green and growing.

The wheat in this area is just heading out... very green yet. Corn is about 6" tall. We had a cold, wet spring and it was painful to see those fields sit so long. I lived on a dairy farm for 7 yrs... we mostly grew corn and hay.

Debbie

got another farmer on here!!

Looks like 3 of us....... I claim more pigs than grain though.

Our fields around here are a little smaller and are usually surrounded with dark green corn & soybeans. We start cutting around the second week of July in this region.

We grow Hard Red Winter, you guys plant in the fall too right??

We're hoping next year to be able to take a vacation and swing through Kansas to see the big harvest crews working the fields, it just depends on the timing of things around here though. It's on my bucket list.

Tim

W.B. Went down to the lake at Glen Elder again this weekend. No cuttin going on this far north. Still a bunch of green in some of the fields. Will probably be seein some being cut next weekend. But if it keeps raining mite be a while. Saw one field by Red Cloud, Ne. It was fine when we went down saturday, all laying down and twisted up today. Guess I know where at least one of the thunderheads went thru last evening. Arne.

You know how to tell the wheat is ready for the combine????

Watch the weather report... it will blow it down 2 days before you have the combine coming!! Grrrrr used to irritate us to no end!

Debbie

Debbie, some how I can picture you as a farmers wife.

GreenAcres.jpg

And what you don't know is....

I was the hired hand milking cows when the inlaws were out of town and I learned how to artificially inseminate the cows when the guys learned. I had the best success rate... until I retired! After I was 3-4 months pregnant, I thought standing at the back end of a cow in heat probably wasn't the smartest place to be! I think the Vets cringed when I came wandering out to the barn with a baby in my arms... asking questions about the surgery they were doing, of course!! I just had to know the how and why.... they love nurses!! I was working 3-11 shift and was almost always around when the Vet came.

Debbie

Well, after stripping the front milk... we put the milkers on.... thankfully!!

Debbie

Back