RJ Spagnols What's your favorite OB

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackie

Reaction score
What's your favorite Orchard Breezin kit? Lookin for ideas on which ones I might want to try next--there are so many. I prefer ones that aren't sickeningly sweet or artificial tasting. I really like the Green Apple Gewurtztraminer. I have also made the Blackberry Merlot and it was just "okay" but it's wonderful as jelly. I didn't care for the Raspberry White Zinfandel. Those are the only ones I've made so far.

The Cranapple Chard looks interestingas does The Gold Kiwi Pomelo Sauv Blanc.

Jackie, have you played with the kits at all. I mean by adding half the f-pack up front to cut down on the sweetness in the end. Many of us do that with a lot of those kits. I absolutely did not like the watermelon for the same reason. Tasted like a jolly rancher candy to me. I found someone that did like it and I gave them the entire batch. I was their best friend after that. LOL

Curious what the difference is in adding half before and after Ferm. or just adding half later at the end versus the whole F pack?

I like to raise the alc. on these kits by adding sugar.

I just purchased the Pinot Spice Plum for Christmas presents.

tkutch said:
Curious what the difference is in adding half before and after Ferm. or just adding half later at the end versus the whole F pack?

I like to raise the alc. on these kits by adding sugar.

I just purchased the Pinot Spice Plum for Christmas presents.

The belief is by adding half before; it will retain the flavor with the sweetness/sugar going to alcohol. Adding about half is the method I have always followed after learning about it here when I first started. I usually add to raise the SG to give a finshed alcohol of 10%. Then add the rest when stablizing.

Yes I have added sugar. I stay about 9% ABV though. I've found if it gets over 10% it has a "hot" taste to me. I've made the WE Island Mist kits as well as the Summer Breeze Green Apple Riesling (which I liked). I prefer ones that I think might be fairly balanced to begin with so I look for something tart in the ingredients.

I've never messed with the fpack pre-fermentation, it has sorbate and though I know lots do it, it would just be my luck to get a stuck ferm. Plus I don't think you'd get all the flavor that way because when I make fruit wines, I have to add some juice post fermentation if I want to get the real fruit flavor back so I think some gets lost in the fermentation process (that's fine though since I sweeten them anyway).

People mainly add 1/2 the pack up front due to the fact that they dont like the ultra sweet result of adding all of the f-pack when its finished fermenting so by adding 1/2 up front they get a little more of the flavor in there and use the rest when its done. Using 1/2 up front raises the abv and gives the wine a little more flavor then just adding sugar up front and only adding 1/2 at the end and throwing the rest out. I myself like the Blueberry Shiraz the best.

I've made the Peach Chardonnay, Banana Pineapple, Mango Mint, Black Cherry Pinot. I have the Cran Apple Chardonnay coming in this week.

These were the first wines I made. My favorite is the Peach Chardonnay- EVERYONE loves this wine. I am planning on making this again in the Winter so it is ready for next summer. I did not care for the Banana Pineapple at first but after aging for about 5 months it is really nice and is my second favorite. I'm not a big fan of the Black Cherry- it tastes too much like Black Cherry soda. Even though you can drink these right away I was surprised that these kits all taste MUCH better after 3 months or so. I added sugar to bump up the alcohol to 10% and added all of the F-pack. I am not a fan of super sweet wines but these are great for non-wine drinkers and are crowd pleasers.

I've made the Banana Pineapple & the Mango Mint. Made per instructions except when finished I added a bottle (or 2) of coconut rum to the batch - it was outstanding.

I made the banana/pineapple viognier and the sangria with Seville oranges. I think I liked the sangria better.

vcasey said:
I've made the Banana Pineapple & the Mango Mint. Made per instructions except when finished I added a bottle (or 2) of coconut rum to the batch - it was outstanding.

Did you add coconut rum to both the Banana Pineapple and the Mango Mint? How long did you age it--seems like it might need awhile for the rum to mello? That's something I might try for next summer.

Back