What is your favorite kit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
. Later this Winter things will turn around monetarily in our household so I expect to start up a "wine fund" like @jgmann67 does for use on my wine making supplies and bottle purchases. When I buy a bottle I'll compare to one of the eleven "taster" bottles (375 ml) that I have and let you know (would probably end up getting posted in the "what are you drinking" thread). I'll be giving one to Jim when I get over to pick up a wine sample to do a test for him, maybe I can twist his arm to give it a taste and report back here.

The fund has been working out exceptionally well, btw. Just do a cost per bottle analysis and add 25% (ish) for contingency. I came down with $5 per bottle (bonus, it's easier to calculate). Also, have a system to keep track of every time you pull a bottle out of the cellar. We have a paper on the bulletin board at the top of the stairs and make a hash mark for each bottle. Then move money to the fund every couple weeks. Last bit of advice - don't cheat. If a bottle comes out, a hash mark goes down.

I stand at the ready to serve. It's a sacrifice, I know. But, it's one I'm willing to make. Bring a bottle and we'll give it a ride. The Brunello is probably my next EM kit and will give me a chance to test the Inkbird, too. Looking forward to it.

See Kirt over at the Lemoyne state store. He can point you to a decent Brunello in the Ch. Selection (I bet they have one). Should be < $20.

My big kits are still sitting, tasted a few times but can't call a favorite.

Just racked a Fontana Malbec for the third time. this is the fourth time we've made this kit and we tweak the dickens out of them. Makes a very nice wine every time. A wine nearly everybody likes and seems to pair well with our strong seasoned style of foods. Haven't made two batches the same yet and that is just another thing I like about it!

@Mismost thanks for the reply. I’ve watched your posts on @joeswine “tweaking” thread and have a Fontana Malbec I just received along with a box of redcurrants to give it a shot soon. I enjoy Malbec, so hoping I can do a decent early drinker with those tweaks.

Well someone asked why other RJS EP/Winery Series kits are not mentioned (usually only super tuscan and amarone)

I have made quite a few RJS premium kits over the last 6-7 years, some before the EP and WS lines were merged and some after. I can honestly say I have never been disappointed. in any of the reds or whites. Some take longer to come around but usually by 2 years the reds are very good. The whites are usually bottled at 6 months and put into rotation at that point. Most of the reds rarely make it to the 3 year mark and the whites are done by 2 years. My storage conditions are not ideal to I don't like to push my luck in seeing how long they last. ** means that they are very good. The "France - Grenache Syrah" was a recent surprise and I have another kit waiting to be made. I find all the whites good but if you like off dry (and I usually don't), the German Riesling Gewürztraminer is very good.

cheers

Pinot Noir - Australia
Merlot - Chile
** Winemaker’s Trio - Red
** France - Grenache Syrah
** Italy - Amarone Style
Rosso Bravissimo - not available
Italy Valpolicella - (Now Valpola)
** Italian Super Tuscan
Italy - Zinfandel - not bottled
Chilean Carmenère - Not Available
Australia - Cabernet Sauvignon - Still Aging
** Rosso Grande Eccellente
Malbec - Chile - Still Aging
California Old Vine Zinfandel - not available
Chardonnay - Chile
South Africa Sauvignon Blanc
Italy - Pinot Grigio
Winemaker’s Trio - White
** German Riesling Gewürztraminer

Well someone asked why other RJS EP/Winery Series kits are not mentioned (usually only super tuscan and amarone)

I have made quite a few RJS premium kits over the last 6-7 years, ** means that they are very good.

cheers

Pinot Noir - Australia
Merlot - Chile
** Winemaker’s Trio - Red
** France - Grenache Syrah
** Italy - Amarone Style
Rosso Bravissimo - not available
Italy Valpolicella - (Now Valpola)
** Italian Super Tuscan
Italy - Zinfandel - not bottled
Chilean Carmenère - Not Available
Australia - Cabernet Sauvignon - Still Aging
** Rosso Grande Eccellente
Malbec - Chile - Still Aging
California Old Vine Zinfandel - not available
Chardonnay - Chile
South Africa Sauvignon Blanc
Italy - Pinot Grigio
Winemaker’s Trio - White
** German Riesling Gewürztraminer

Agreed, I'd give two thumbs up to the Grenache Syrah, Italian Amarone, Italian Super Tuscan, Italian Zinfandel, Rosso Grande Eccellente, and the Chilean Malbec.

@Mismost thanks for the reply. I’ve watched your posts on @joeswine “tweaking” thread and have a Fontana Malbec I just received along with a box of redcurrants to give it a shot soon. I enjoy Malbec, so hoping I can do a decent early drinker with those tweaks.

I got a day off from coaching and working in my wine room....racking filtering starting a couple more batches. tasted the Fontana Malbec that I added plums, cherries and blackberries to....it was all I could do not chug it down....man, it is turning out nice, In a year or so, it oughta be great. Think I'm gonna name this one MINE!!

Red: CC Showcase Walla Walla Cab Merlot
White: CC Showcase Yakima Valley Riesling

I've made many WE kits and most have been very good, but I keep coming back to these two CC kits as my favorites.

WE Selection International Italian Brunello and Selection International Argentinian Malbec (both with skins) are my favorite so far of their reds. I have a Selection International Australian Petit Verdot that was pitched Feb 2017, carboy aged, and it tasted very good at bottling in Feb 2018; it holds promise. Their Selection International Italian Pinot Gris was pretty decent for a white, but didn't really shine until about 2 years old. I don't like to age whites for that long, so by the time it tasted that good I hardly had any remaining.

I made a WE Eclipse Lodi 11 Cab Sauv about 3 years ago, and it has still not lived up to the reviews that I read before deciding to spend the extra $$ on the kit. I've held a lot of it back, with high hopes, so maybe time will tell. I also tried the WE Eclipse NZ Sauv Blanc but it wasn't what I expected from a NZ Sauv Blanc; it was quite fruity and didn't have the crisp, citrus-y quality that I enjoy in commercial NZ Sauv Blancs. I will likely not spend the $$ on the Eclipse line again.

The WE Vintners Reserve Angel Blanco has been a very popular and inexpensive early drinking white for my friends/family, but it is not currently available and don't know whether or not it has been discontinued.

Anyone have a favorite Gewurztraminer kit?
Love a good Gewurztraminer, but some Gewurztraminer's have the flavor I like. Others have a different slightly off or different flavor. Hard to describe the difference.

We bottled our first RJS EPWS Chilean Merlot last night. At just over 14 months old it is already the best kit we've tasted (at the point of bottling). Hopefully it continues to get even better with some time in the bottle. Highly recommended at this point. Will try a sample in a few months to see how it's progressing.

Anyone have a favorite Gewurztraminer kit?
Love a good Gewurztraminer, but some Gewurztraminer's have the flavor I like. Others have a different slightly off or different flavor. Hard to describe the difference.

I've made the basic RJS Grand Cru kit twice (this was my very first kit), the Cru Int'l once, my second batch of Cru Select Riesling-Traminer just came out of primary and I have a WE Eclipse German Mosel Gewurztraminer that's in bulk, aged about 2 months. We like Gewurztraminer! I think they are all good, but each one has it's own personality and nuances. For our tastes (and the price) the Grand Cru kit is a good basic wine which is ready to drink almost immediately. However, I think the Eclipse kit may prove to be well worth the extra money. It's a much richer wine with a very nice nose to it. We back sweetened a portion of the first couple batches and found that after a couple months we preferred the fully dry version so we're going dry from now on. On the less expensive kits I follow Joeswine's recommendation to add a little lemon zest to the primary to brighten it up. If you choose a kit with a flavor pack (I believe the Cru Int'l had one) that gives you the option of adding only as much F-Pac as you like, but it also locks you into a less than dry finished wine which will gradually sweeten over time.

I don't think you can go wrong, but there is variability in taste among the kits.

Cru International Ontario Sauvignon Blanc aged at least 7 months is Mrs Favorite.
Grand Cru's Vieux Chateau du Roi is my favorite after 2 years aging. Have made several of their Cabernet Sauvignon with great results.
Have some Mosti Mondale 6 gallon juice kits aging. Time will tell.

In 10 years of kit making, only one went skunky. I suspect poor sanitation. I started with RJ Spagnols merlot and Cabernet Sauvignons. All good, some were better.

Don't touch the Mosti for at least 2 years. At three years is where they really start to shine.

So I really loved my fontana shiraz... tweaked down to 5gal, added sauteed black grapes and oak in primary. Had the most lovely wild flower smell. (yeah, the cheap one...)
I'm a mom of 3, so $80 is about the max I'm going to spend on a kit :dg

My favorite high end red wine kit is the wine expert eclipse Nebbiolo. Of the less expensive kits, my favorite is the wine expert French Cabernet. The piesporter wine expert selection kit is my favorite white at this time.
I’m starting this kit next. Do you have any recommendations?

I don't recall seeing any mention of Zinfandel kits from anyone. Has anyone tried the Mosti Mondiale Meglioli old vine Zin kit, or any other high end zin kits, and had good results?

Back