What is your favorite kit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favourites are tough to define, been making since the 80's. The one Eclipse that I loved is the Stags Leap Merlot, RJS use to have a Winery Series Meritage that was fabulous after 18-24 months but it sadly is no longer available. I try to do all the Limited Editions from both RJS and WE, but the last couple of years many of the WE ones have been meh to my mind. I love the RJS EP Amarone, but based on a thread I read here am trying a CC Showcase Amarone.

After this year's Limited Editions I plan on trying the CC showcase Cab Merlot and the RJS EP Grenache Syrah
@pillswoj sad to hear you haven't been happy with your WE Limited Edition kits. I plan on making quite a few WE Eclipse kits, have you personally liked any of the Eclipse? I think in general people tend to prefer En Primeur to Eclipse, but Eclipse has a lot of the styles I prefer.

Like I said, the SL Merlot is fantastic, I did the Pinot Noir and it is very good, but did not have skins and I think a Pinot one level down would be just as good. My wife says the Lodi Cabernet is good but I find it meh.

Thanks I was thinking of making the Lodi next, but will start with the SL Merlot, then the Pinot since that's my wife's favorite. Probably then continue with the Amarone (not sure between CC and RJS, but will probably make CC), then Barolo then the Lodi. I think I'll pick my two favorites (including the RJS Super Tuscan I already made) and repeat those going forward.
Like I said, the SL Merlot is fantastic, I did the Pinot Noir and it is very good, but did not have skins and I think a Pinot one level down would be just as good. My wife says the Lodi Cabernet is good but I find it meh.

Thanks I was thinking of making the Lodi next, but will start with the SL Merlot, then the Pinot since that's my wife's favorite. Probably then continue with the Amarone (not sure between CC and RJS, but will probably make CC), then Barolo then the Lodi. I think I'll pick my two favorites (including the RJS Super Tuscan I already made) and repeat those going forward.

For some reason, I read about the RJS Super Tuscan and Amarone, which seem to be favorites, but never heard a single comment regarding their Cab Sauv, Pinot Noir, Merlot, Shiraz, nothing at all. Just seems odd that people hold RJS to such high standards but only talk about two of their kits

I wonder if that is partly a marketing thing, EP Cabernet (Australia) vs. Eclipse Lodi Cabernet.... EP Shiraz vs Eclipse Barossa Valley Shiraz.

I know if you search there are several threads comparing the different Amarone and even the super Tuscan, but have not noticed them for the other high end varieties. Would be interesting to hear if anyone has compared them side by side.

Renaissance Impressions Castel Del Papa...... I like a fruit forward red wine and this kit is the best one I have found so far . It is excellent !

Has anyone made both kits and fresh juice buckets? Just wanted to know if they're similar in quality or is the fresh juice significantly better?

I am hoping to make Cab Franc from fresh Niagara must this fall

Has anyone made both kits and fresh juice buckets? Just wanted to know if they're similar in quality or is the fresh juice significantly better?

Juice buckets (or grapes) are a little more work and require more testing. They are not neccessarily balanced but strictly varietal juice or so you hope. You have to make sure the sugar and acids are at your preferred levels. You also have the opportunity to do MLF with the juice buckets to reduce that harsh malic taste. There is more risk involved but a heck of a lot more fun and hopefully rewarding.

No kit taste so I think they can be ready to drink earlier, if you like drinking them earlier. I'd still would let either hit 18 to 24 months before regularly sampling them.

Back on topic, I really like the WE SE International Brunello w/skins kit. Mine is about 24 months old, just bottled it, and it tastes better than any other red kit I've done that doesn't have back sweetening as part of the routine. Not that I love sweet reds, but added sweetener on a non-dry kit at the end seems to hide any minor flaws and lack of aging the kits have. My brunello is pretty dry, for the record (.992).

Juice buckets (or grapes) are a little more work and require more testing..
....If you desire. I started with juice buckets in a process so basic that a kit seemed overwhelming.
All we did was add yeast to the bucket. After fermenting just poured it through a funnel with a cheesecloth and racked a a few times over the next 6-9 months. Voila! Homemade wine.
Favorite kit? Haven’t made tons, but surprisingly my fav was a simple WE world vineyard Pinot Noir and was my 1st kit. After starting it I immediately made others- easily discarding the lowly 1gal mid-range kit. In “bulk” over a year. Turned out great.

No kit taste so I think they can be ready to drink earlier, if you like drinking them earlier. I'd still would let either hit 18 to 24 months before regularly sampling them.

Back on topic, I really like the WE SE International Brunello w/skins kit. Mine is about 24 months old, just bottled it, and it tastes better than any other red kit I've done that doesn't have back sweetening as part of the routine. Not that I love sweet reds, but added sweetener on a non-dry kit at the end seems to hide any minor flaws and lack of aging the kits have. My brunello is pretty dry, for the record (.992).

Glad to hear that, it was the first kit I made, but never heard any reviews. It will hit the two year mark in August 2019. I love brunellos but the cheapest one you can find is probably around $30. Would you say this kit accurately displays it's characteristics?

Glad to hear that, it was the first kit I made, but never heard any reviews. It will hit the two year mark in August 2019. I love brunellos but the cheapest one you can find is probably around $30. Would you say this kit accurately displays it's characteristics?
Can't tell since I don't have the money to buy much more than a $20 bottle of wine (normally buy boxed wine for topping up batches), so it's not part of the spending plan for now. Later this Winter things will turn around monetarily in our household so I expect to start up a "wine fund" like @jgmann67 does for use on my wine making supplies and bottle purchases. When I buy a bottle I'll compare to one of the eleven "taster" bottles (375 ml) that I have and let you know (would probably end up getting posted in the "what are you drinking" thread). I'll be giving one to Jim when I get over to pick up a wine sample to do a test for him, maybe I can twist his arm to give it a taste and report back here.

@ceeaton true Italian wine should never cost more than 10 Euros a bottle, but American (and Chinese) demand for Brunello has made the prices ridiculous.

If you want to get a sense of what the brunello will taste like, you can buy one of its little brothers, a Rosso di Montalcino or Rosso di Montepulciano. They are often from the same vineyards, but are a step lower in quality (still better than most of what we get) and thus are a little more fruit, less tannin, and see less oak, as they are designed to be drunk earlier than the Brunellos. I’ve been fortunate to tour Chianti serveral Times with stops in both Montepulciano and Montalcino and frankly IMO some of the rosso’s are as good as the Brunellos <gasp> Especially if you are just looking for a great drinking wine. Best part is few people realize what they are so they are CHEAP compared to the Brunello.

EDIT: Found a good article if you are interested in recommendations and tasting notes. I’ve had several of these and really like the Poggio Antico, Mocali, Altisino and Col d’Orcia

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/26/dining/reviews/rosso-di-montalcino-wine-review.html

Last edited:
I have done 2 kits. Both Fontana. The first was a cab. Amazon prime for $29. It is normally $39. It as pretty good for $29. The 2nd is a Fontana Pinot Noir. Amazon prime $42. It is on its 3rd week and racked it tonight and had a taste. It was really good. Not even kidding I could drink it as is right now. Can't wait to bottle it.

I am too new to have a best. I think this site and thread will help me. I don't know what the most I will spend on a kit in the future but the free shipping on Amazon is perfect for me now.

@HarrysHomeBrew there’s nothing wrong with those Fontana kits. If you haven’t seen it, check out @joeswine tweaking cheap kits thread for some ideas to improve them. Great way to make some early drinking wine so you can age the more expensive ones without dipping in (as much). I recently bottled the Fontana Pinot with this recipe and really like it:

Made kit to 5 in instructions
In Primary:
- 2 tsp wine tannin
- 1 cup med toast French oak chips
- 8oz black cherries sautéed in Syrah
- chapitalize with 1 cup of 2:1 simple syrup
In Secondary
- 1 cup med toast French oak chips

In the theme of this thread, this is my favorite early drinking recipe to date.

EDIT: Found a good article if you are interested in recommendations and tasting notes. I’ve had several of these and really like the Poggio Antico, Mocali, Altisino and Col d’Orcia

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/26/dining/reviews/rosso-di-montalcino-wine-review.html
Thank you for posting that article, very good read. Always nice to learn something new. I'll have to keep a lookout for some of their suggestions, though they may be of a newer vintage by seven or eight years!

Favorites so far: CC Showcase Amarone, now three years old. Red mountain Cab, no longer available. CC walla walla cab/merlot, about three years old. I now have bottled the Eclipse SLM, Lodi Cab and Eclipse Shiraz. All great but they’re two years old and I expect them to get better. About to bottle the EP super Tuscan, which has been in the barrel of five months, and the Eclipse Zin, also barrel aging. Both tasting good in their youth.

Ok. I tried going through the thread to coalate responses so far and here’s what I saw. Feel free to correct or adjust if I missed something:

Whites:
WE Eclipse NZ Sav Blanc x2
Winexpert Selection Luna Bianca x2

Reds:
En Primeur/Winery Series Super Tuscan
En Primeur Winery Series Amarone Italian style
CC Showcase Walla Walla Cab/Merlot x2
WE Eclipse Sonoma Valley Pinot Noir
WE Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot
Renaissance Impressions Castel Del Papa
WE world vineyard Pinot Noir
CC Showcase Amarone

(x2 indicates it was mentioned as a favorite twice). Also I didn't include ones listed as no longer available, though perhaps I should....

Back