What's my ABV???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneStarLori

Veteran wino, newbie vintner
Reaction score
Ok, I know I should know this by now. But if I neglected to take an initial reading and fooled so much with my Muscadine it almost isn't Muscadine anymore. Is there a way to tell the abv of a finished wine? Is there a test kit?

yes, their are methods available. Their is a device called an Ebuilometer (sp) that can determine the ABV of a dry wine with a little bit of skill. Their are also methods based on boil off. You might want to read up on those.

Ebuilometers (sp) are shockingly expensive. "boil off" methods are inexact.

Lori,

Is is really that important to know the ABV??? Just enjoy the wine and make it a point to take an initial reading from here on.

Ebuilometers (sp) are shockingly expensive. "boil off" methods are inexact.

Lori,

Is is really that important to know the ABV??? Just enjoy the wine and make it a point to take an initial reading from here on.

Despite the fact that I got one, John is right on. Just enjoy the wine. Did you know that on most labels the accuracy of content has to be exact. With wine the abv. has to be accurate within 1.5 abv. That means if it says 12%abv it will be between 10.5 and 13.5 abv.

Did you ever wonder why wineries list their wines as table wine rather than listing the abv. Here is the definition of table wine from the TTB;

Also, when the words “Table Wine” are present on the brand label, the alcohol
content need not be specifically shown on the label as long as the alcohol
content of the product is between 7 and 14% by volume.

Despite the fact that I got one, John is right on. Just enjoy the wine. Did you know that on most labels the accuracy of content has to be exact. With wine the abv. has to be accurate within 1.5 abv. That means if it says 12%abv it will be between 10.5 and 13.5 abv.

Did you ever wonder why wineries list their wines as table wine rather than listing the abv. Here is the definition of table wine from the TTB;

Also, when the words “Table Wine” are present on the brand label, the alcohol
content need not be specifically shown on the label as long as the alcohol
content of the product is between 7 and 14% by volume.

That's right, You do have one.

It seems to me that I remember you offering to send it to me for a couple of weeks... LOL

My father has a vinometer. He picked it up for like 5 bucks. Not sure how precise it is but I would guess it can give a ball park figure.

Since we are on the topic of estimating the alcohol content, maybe you guys can help out. When you talk of getting an initial reading, would that be the reading after crushing/destemming, or would it be your adjusted reading to get a higher sg reading before fermentation begins? I recently destemmed some Concord grapes and my first reading was 1.060. I then added some sugar before the yeast was added and that reading was 1.095. Do I use the 1.060 or the 1.095? Once the fermentation stops and I press them, is that when I take my final reading? Thanks for the help!

Now that you mention it, I actually bought a Vinometer when I first started cooking. It broke within the first day. It looked very hard to read anyway.
I guess I'll just estimate based on how many glasses I can drink and still stand up. I have a pretty good feel for that method.

I guess I'll just estimate based on how many glasses I can drink and still stand up. I have a pretty good feel for that method.

There ya go, pour yourself a water glass full and if you don't break out in a cold sweat shortly after drinking it, then you'll know that it does not have a high alcohol content.:dg

Now that you mention it, I actually bought a Vinometer when I first started cooking. It broke within the first day. It looked very hard to read anyway.

Lori,

All I can say is this..

ATTA GIRL, FORGITABOUDIT!

Latest posts

Back