What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 47033 Cutting loose a little bit tonite, wifey finished MBA finals today, A’s in both classes, I’m having knee surgery in the AM. 1990 Leoville Poyferre is smooth, sheer elegance in a glass. Fruity, earthy, and minerality dancing beautifully with a long sumptuous finish. Last bottle........what a wine!,

Well, after that , I think we can close this thread and all go home. :D

giphy.gif

Congrats to Mrs. D and good luck w/ the surgery!

If this a a "weekday wine" for you yea we should just close the thread! LOL There must be a story behind this bottle of wine however! Good luck with the surgery today. Make sure to mark up your knee properly!

377224.jpg

View attachment 47033 Cutting loose a little bit tonite, wifey finished MBA finals today, A’s in both classes, I’m having knee surgery in the AM. 1990 Leoville Poyferre is smooth, sheer elegance in a glass. Fruity, earthy, and minerality dancing beautifully with a long sumptuous finish. Last bottle........what a wine!,

If this a a "weekday wine" for you yea we should just close the thread! LOL There must be a story behind this bottle of wine however! Good luck with the surgery today. Make sure to mark up your knee properly!

377224.jpg

Definitely not a weekday wine!! Celebration for the Mrs., and since I’ll be at home all week, it was kind of a Friday....!!! Dad scored a case of this wine, as futures, back in the 90’s, at WAY less than the current price and gave us a couple bottles to try. No need to close the thread, but wanted to share since it’s such a special treat.....

Procedure went well, had the left knee marked, meniscus tear repaired, and removed some floaters in there. Aspirin, oxy, wine, ice, and elevation are on the menu. Cheers!

Definitely not a weekday wine!! Celebration for the Mrs., and since I’ll be at home all week, it was kind of a Friday....!!! Dad scored a case of this wine, as futures, back in the 90’s, at WAY less than the current price and gave us a couple bottles to try. No need to close the thread, but wanted to share since it’s such a special treat.....

Procedure went well, had the left knee marked, meniscus tear repaired, and removed some floaters in there. Aspirin, oxy, wine, ice, and elevation are on the menu. Cheers!
Just monitor the amount of wine with the oxy...have heard that can get addicting (the oxy, we already know the wine is).

Just monitor the amount of wine with the oxy...have heard that can get addicting (the oxy, we already know the wine is).

On it!! Wine takes place of the 6:00 oxy, so I can take one t bedtime. Probably will discontinue oxy entirely by noon tomorrow, I don’t like taking that stuff.

On it!! Wine takes place of the 6:00 oxy, so I can take one t bedtime. Probably will discontinue oxy entirely by noon tomorrow, I don’t like taking that stuff.

Please don't skimp on rehab. Do it all. It really does affect your range of motion.

Just a glass or two. 80% Nebbiolo and 20% Barbera

Attachments

• 96E99508-2F16-4CF9-B419-B6C6D01AFFB7.jpeg
    96E99508-2F16-4CF9-B419-B6C6D01AFFB7.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
Leftover Brisket tonight from last weekend! Dug into the other side of the cellar and found the stash that is left from 2011. First grapes from Lodi, CA via Dallas and VFW. Pulled a bottle of my Corazon Solitario (Lonely Heart). This was a blend of Cab Sauv, Malbec, Cab Franc and Petit Verdot. For some reason this never really came together like it should have. Its still good with about 30 mins of air but not OMG I would so buy a case of this. Still WAY better than any kit I ever made. I will rack it up to the fact that it was a bad harvest year due to cool weather....... LOL

IMG_3156.jpg

Leftover Brisket tonight from last weekend! Dug into the other side of the cellar and found the stash that is left from 2011. First grapes from Lodi, CA via Dallas and VFW. Pulled a bottle of my Corazon Solitario (Lonely Heart). This was a blend of Cab Sauv, Malbec, Cab Franc and Petit Verdot. For some reason this never really came together like it should have. Its still good with about 30 mins of air but not OMG I would so buy a case of this. Still WAY better than any kit I ever made. I will rack it up to the fact that it was a bad harvest year due to cool weather....... LOL
I need an honest answer to this, do you think if you had those same exact raw materials today you would/could make a better wine than in 2011? If so what would do differently today verses what you did back then (not buying the grapes is not an allowed answer)?

I know I pressed way to hard on those grapes. The cab franc was not ripe and had the bell pepper issue. Other wines from the same grapes but different blends were really good.

I know I pressed way to hard on those grapes. The cab franc was not ripe and had the bell pepper issue. Other wines from the same grapes but different blends were really good.
Ah, I remember you mentioning that when I was thinking I had a bell pepper issue with my Dornfelder batch. I just like to hear what the changes in thought processes are for veteran wine makers. Hopefully I'm learning along the same time line and will get more comfortable in my wine making "skin".

Thanks for sharing, didn't mean to put you on the spot, yet I kinda did...

WE Diablo Rojo. Pitched 2/2017, carboy aged, bottled 2/2018. I had about 400ml remaining after bottling, and stored the remainder in the fridge in a sealed mason jar to use for cooking. Took it out today and sipped some after leaving out at room temp for about 10 minutes.... wow! I've never been a big fan of Diablo Rojo, but had made this kit to have an "early drinking" red on hand while I let some other reds age. This is light bodied and very, very good when lightly chilled. It no longer has the over-oaked taste that it had when young. The light body and the chill make what I think will be a very appealing sipper for a hot summer evening. I'm thinking of trying it in a batch of sangria within the next month or two. I take back any former negative comments that I may have made about this kit. It has earned a place in my cellar. :)

Oh, thanks for the reminder. I started mine 5/15/15, added some left over grape skins. Don't necessarily care for the added sweetening pack, will omit that if I make it again. I'll pour a glass and add to this post once I finish the black-n-tan I just mixed up. I surprised myself and had 6 bottles left of this batch, pretty good for a carboy tipper, eh?

Edit: this is a really nice wine for a red kit. No noticeable kit taste and the added sweetness has fallen back in line (was worried that it would eventually dominate the flavor profile). Kinda sucks that I have to turn it in an hour early (clocks change, gotta sing at church tomorrow, wifey works so I'm in "charge" in the morning, yuck), or I'd drink the whole bottle, surprisingly a nice wine.

Last edited:
Back