What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I toured Barboursville in the fall with some friends. It was lovely! All the wines I bought from there are long gone...

I originally discovered them up near Fair Hill in Maryland. The Fair Hill Inn used to serve their wine. We had the Nebbiolo and I decided immediately that a vacation to barboursville was in-order. Left with a couple cases.

Kegged a stout yesterday and force primed it with some CO2. Normally wouldn't tap it for a week or so, but it's Monday, and all I could think about at work is how good a glass of it would be. Now into my third pint, it's actually incredibly good and smooth for only being started on February 3rd. I know it will get much better if I can keep my mitts off of it. I have other beers on tap, so maybe I'll remove the tap from the stout so it can last for a while (a day or two). I was aiming for a Murphy's type beer but I think I ended up with a little more residual sweetness, so I added some soured beer to it and it reminds me more of a Guinness.

2-26-18_stout.jpg

Opened my last bottle of WE Selection International Argentinian Malbec pitched 3/2015.to have with homemade smoked venison sausage. The Malbec was delicious; smooth, dry with notes of bittersweet cocoa on the finish. Wish I'd held back more than one bottle (many a home vintners' lament....)

Opened up one of those "meh" (TM) WE LE14 Super Tuscans. Just 22 more to go!

Good for cooking....lol

I gave my barber a bottle of that and warned him that "I really have no idea how it tastes today but it was rough when I tried long time ago, maybe is a bit better today..."

I need to check back and ask him what he thinks. :D

theory-salon-blog-round-2-2-pic-2.jpg

geek said:
I gave my barber a bottle of that and warned him that "I really have no idea how it tastes today but it was rough when I tried long time ago, maybe is a bit better today..." I need to check back and ask him what he thinks. :D

Ah, I remember that one.
RJS seems to be putting the best quality wine kits out there over any other manufacturers, hoping they will release another Sauv Blanc, and if from NZ much better.

In looking over what would go best with the lamb I made tonight, I opted for a WE Eclipse Stag's Leap Merlot. It did not suck.

I wish I wasn't so dead set against kits due to the price. @Boatboy24 gave me a bottle (infact it was the first bottle gifted to me by a fellow winemaker) it was extremely good.

Opened up a WE SE Sangiovese bottle after dinner tonight (needed something really dry, too many beers with sweetness (Warsteiner Dunkel)). Has a bit of a fizz upon opening (pre- AIO) but that dissipated pretty quickly. Wifey likes it better than the Dornfelder (too much dark fruit for her). Lot's of cherry in the nose and especially on the back end, for me. Only have a few bottles of this one left (made in Aug 2015). Might have to make that kit again and let it age until it reaches three years or so, then start drinking it. I'll try and save the balance of the bottle for some pasta with red sauce early next week.

Latest posts

Back