What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drinking all of our left over taster bottles..... Battlefield Blush, General Braddock, Catawba, Cab Sauv, Sir Carlos, Cranberry Pomegranate, Colonel Bouquet....

One nice thing about coming home from a lousy wine show is drinking the tasters.....

Our local Costco, although no liquor sold as of right now) is like 4 miles one way. Perfect job for the wife..:h

Friend of mine's wife manages one of the local Costco's. Does quite well for herself. $$$

Lodi region cab that I just racked for the second time and oaked for the next 3 months...had to have a sample though!!! Not bad...

Popped a bottle of the RJS LR Carrusel (Chard/Viognier). It's mellowing already, and the Viognier is starting to show. Nice wine.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1464844538.578532.jpg
I'm vacationing in Florida and needed something to drink. Hit a target that sold wine (Minnesota, not there yet) remembered the h3 from other posts. Palazzo Della Torre is made from corvina and rondinella grapes. Half fermented in September, half dried and added back to wine in January. Kinda similar to amarone. First night, H3 tasted very over Oaked. Second night it opened up, but is not something I would buy again. Tobacco, tar and dark fruit. But not very harmonious. 2014 maybe needs a few years.
Palazzo was tight and tannic the first night. By the second night it opened up very well. Leather stewed blueberries raisins and something else. Can't put my finger on it because of these sh;77y glasses in the hotel room but it carries more heft than the 13.5% it claims to be. Would buy this one again but decant for an hour.

The H3 I'd say is most likely young. I don't think I've even seen the 2014 in stores.

I'm a fan of the Veronese. It's like a baby Amarone. Very nice, and definitely benefits from a little air.

I fear that CC may be pushing the H3 Reds out the door faster than they did back when I first discovered this wine in the 2008 timeframe. Time is money as they say.

I fear that CC may be pushing the H3 Reds out the door faster than they did back when I first discovered this wine in the 2008 timeframe. Time is money as they say.

Buy it and store it. It is definitely too early to be drinking the 2014. 3-5 years seems to be good for these wines.

Yea, no problems there. I have several regular bottles of the 2013 in the cellar plus the big ole Double Magnum I snagged at Costco during the Holiday's!

And I think the Costco Kirkland Merlot/Cab blend is pretty good at $8.95, and it is from Columbia Valley if I remember...:db Thanks Mike for the tip...:ib

Sometimes one wonders who makes the wine for Costco, maybe different wine companies but wonder if their Merlot/Cab blend is made at CC, the company that makes the H3.

Tonight was the night to ensure my Columbia Crest Wine Club shipment wasn't tainted by the heat during shipping. I would have rather cellared it, but I needed to know if I had to send it back. Personally, I blame @ibglowin for this forced early consumption. If he hadn't talked me into joining the club, I wouldn't be doing this! :h

A dark lushish purple and surprisingly fast legs. On the nose there is florals, blueberry and an earthen minerality. Medium bodied, yet very juicy with flavors of plum, black cherry and allspice. It finishes is quite long and it begs for another taste.

A bit thinner than I expected and young, but very good none the less. It doesn't appear tainted by heat during shipping. I received two in my shipment and I may purchase another to replace this one in my cellar.

I approve!

PHOTO_20160602_192440.jpg

CC Reserve wines are not in your face holy crap this needs to lay down for another 3 more years before its even approachable wines. I have had many a WA State Cab or Cab blend that honestly needed 3 years of cellaring to be drinkable especially some from Red Mountain but boy when they were ready they were freaking out of body religious experiences. Its all up to the winemaker and who he/she thinks is their target audience.

Ended up doing the Trader Joe's run. And the $16.99 Amarone is back!!! I got 3 bottles. :) (not for tonight's consumption)

Also got this nice 2013 Paso Robles Cab for $17.99. Great dark fruit, cedar, allspice and a finish that doesn't quit. This is yummy stuff.

IMG_3853.jpg

IMG_3857.jpg

Last night was our community monthly wine tasting. The group was somewhat split on Chile or Argentina for the region, so we just made it South America.

54DHw7DmaF9zCcZW5k8wZEudyQyDyN48SICZHQaANm2vb_u7np1IaUeOLDZj2z_Yx8a5fqZEWzGar98KVaImhP_JIiBCMLeqIKBrXfusUE72ZIhNZ4omIg-iOed15T69Q-hJ83uE5OCKECy2tD9-MCk4o5Ko326W2q3u-yLrQx-1kGXXXte28KPtJfg68-oulirt5HXtDqUoC5Il2Z7jzM7Me9y8-ZTrpBSAVwiJ_31aqKQsA1Reej_tzdqWZCevi66hQSDG-AK_OegqcQf6EqNfD5WYMpsAGfNqwcNMlGB5Mj1NP7Z3mz5EY3VkUVJ_LtvYWCR1AlIvJf3yvOqOYwoi1QmwM5r7st0EASDnjSFPzYSwlwXJ4371edW3kLS3xKQpTLVicRWzxiczhj7J6fUvnWwdbSkHO6Nsdif1D4_9a49CPLIgSaRXOQxOBbHZXSeylvJmg8lT3DXwCYZ95Vlqt-4hKllp_9z1cr4YaGU4-zyjBwIGGn0itfhRQ16Ny5tdohdJWKLavUdtpEDTyos2G6Q7Ca2xVla684cU9Nn0hS81akmFG9RhIpu53osu5vD96gjexg_eSHjJwJe8B5AQ9REhoK3q=w1306-h979-no

The wine I brought was a 2012 Achával-Ferrer Quimera. It did not disappoint. I will be heading back to Total Wine to grab a few more!

olw_UtMaS-VMNh5FpV6YtKu7mZvPo48ZcUQp2IY8M0C-AWOvkb6P72ADCMhBvsM4yjZJK0OYsHB58t7gBkkPvdxza9RTAWPenocvpbsoDkS7UvKOboyrG3nP7QPnv6gAJY5Mlww-vAGkbwZrUSHBSnSU5ZRjrmygwDfcRPynZdWXbsdqjtQPFjylSTFPodyS6LxNrkKVh352yI02KCi2mcjEzyWdjkiIKuN3T56UkMtwYmmzYCHRDgIJEy4aQ2b1OZqnW4es9LRDr--aCxvTUjH5bGNIBEDHxhfRv9X8ddY-KRhX3x-jZF9EZIrnzTt7ZCjIVlSClQ9BgIqM-XHt348Y7pG8VGQn3S1lIyBc_cbONTN7HyyNo3yYr80sNLQT-5B6BbTxdQiaNUJKNGSv8Isg67DbhJWYTEcW2ri3BsBPa7cyURpXAH4EHJgFMFY1D3GwMQWyekMzkwRzE92Ehr2DgNZNivQ7BRQVTnImkCU4sr2Ky3cO_wrvrkYucMb_CXHHyDlE3YzZqEIBpXl0rxf_dH4ka6Qb3mNx8FliKit2kWP5poizgXS4ZErwyHC6zsiZKg1EQaAx3qP0t9KzKdiDg9MEthRi=w735-h979-no

Latest posts

Back