What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight it's 2010 Carpineto Vino Nobile di Montepulciano Riserva.

Dark violet with slight tobacco coloration. Black cherry with again, some hints of tobacco and spice on the nose. On the palate, cherry, raspberry and a tart plum followed up by an earthen minerality. The acidity has a mighty punch out of the bottle. With some decanting it improves, but I suspect the acidity and tobacco coloration is due to excess oxidation. Possibly slight bottle taint, though not enough to ruin the wine. Judging by many of the wines reviews, that is what I suspect my bottle suffers from.

Y8QvwukNmi7eCwdm6jaOjhxpTXADQQDk5qN6ROZoYWmtY5NT6F0KqzL9w_vALArdEXXp8I2H9jw3gfa6bRYqdYi6fWtphlApJnswCO_6hx1nUX9oQ_Zqhltyw_7tutwNLGdX1XCnaa9cHja_ayC0lVu66ptlAnqFjcNUaS8Jzc8dyRU6kzUbi8HZG1Nk77TDzUzuDUqdJ0l3dt00MCOT81zF-EfUDCO8wFk3Ti3r2DEGXaSd0S_joyr6hTycUyTMj_0R9Boyai9GgKr0ADXY1w8RDKGcZ3uPLWssLB17xipkjeMXTKFzbZ387pIGjGSXlh5WTLEBfbZ6jS0R-7mu3U4xJnZ-jOFLl4n30TJIS-qmzwmRYpZDEk5yM47tVabsFApJSpNnkE2tUTFNIr858B803iMLt3rRuGeLi0V_8dGMR2KlBhBhfFd9VawV-XyjiO9fPkEU3gfICMzZJCQRaFkbOOYpjOo5Cryt8l8bTLr8ydPpXT5MLgmD-uHXuamoO3TdVfazTgjOsDX_2IvXbbLMoPzQmGmvnj_qBKtRSAdpJtwIp7KIzgWRtOjXDtoA4hGGpIaRILFiykNG9QAsUc_uubr7NTQ=w735-h979-no

I paired it with a very hearty homemade spaghetti bolognese with a cheesy garlic bread. The wine was acceptable given the high acidity. The spaghetti was better than anything I've ever bought and yet quite simple to make. Fresh is key. :h

MFo49Fx4eCCUf_ilaopvEjGN1eThdJ9dNMCrEDnFPjlJ3XXQl8YmrPgf-mv_bUZ5w3IwTBnF5rlPyB1TPAMiOpwlKNfrXgKqrTEd59zt50f7TzKD_mS2NVW3g8jwh9Fcfkvy_n-1A0Bu_A7S9bINxa3vqIY_H9olfTqdDg2BJRy5XI-T1jIOSrsAIN5gKbGkHenNUsf6fGwVTeawH32QFZd1eNZ1e1shx3I0woDk-eXQUS0_3KTAzak_q885IOZ5c8kY-JFfHr-fPBE6DyXoPQFzaSz0HL-bU593weBZM9xGKDGGvsOdQjJ0njbQwkVxVNUwqu5wyc6fvLVEru8t6upqLHaCkYGyZXTiBRfhrX_itZfyM96j_UOvsCrFLLcjAE9MVcsAwG3vwV95J4IBbfP3UTGxcQ8y4Hj-1vOXzXsXFxzqlTQ5kn1AFHKXl30jRGmUlv03pTCb4xGhBiqSEb9ulHF1z37pIEUFvmpUrCcwEBUW_WH4dk3HHNqhwfxXUZfmEfxdo9vQ7AHuEGOGauarHJaMvx2sT7jkjqOtOsR49294zwfE8xC7enhGAwhgYfTdi04Xg5HRgR6dctUEPCQIW2mx_U4=w1306-h979-no

Tonight it's 2013 Miro Pinot Noir from California's Russian River Valley.

Not only is it one of my absolute favorite Pinot Noir, but one of my absolute favorite wines and one of the only wines I actually will buy by the case.

IMG_20160108_203406.jpg

@ibglowin turned me on to tonight's selection. 2014 Intrinsic Cabernet Sauvignon.

Being a 2014 Cab, it's a bit young, but I wanted to taste it anyhow. (besides, if I like I buy more to hang on too!)

Dark purple and it’s youth can really be seen at the edges. Red fruit, mainly plum rind on the nose. Really minimal aromas at this point. On the palate, it’s very fruit forward and juicy, but comes off a bit thin. It has an edge to it like a young wine will and with some decanting would probably open up a bit more.

I would say this wine is a buy and hold. It definitely has upside. Hopefully it being a bit thin doesn't hurt in the long run. Though I think it will be fine. I like it.

PHOTO_20160526_193450.jpg

I popped my first bottle of my Luna Bianca. (http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50851) I am well-pleased. Fat and sassy, with just enough acid and apples to keep me happy.

We did the same with ours two nights ago... Probably another 3 months till it loses its youthful exuberance. But, fat and sassy is a great way to describe it. I didn't get any apples from it, though. Next time.

That's the second chard I've done. The first was the selection Aussie chard, tweaked with French medium toast oak. The Luna is huge in comparison.

@ibglowin turned me on to tonight's selection. 2014 Intrinsic Cabernet Sauvignon.

Being a 2014 Cab, it's a bit young, but I wanted to taste it anyhow. (besides, if I like I buy more to hang on too!)

Dark purple and it’s youth can really be seen at the edges. Red fruit, mainly plum rind on the nose. Really minimal aromas at this point. On the palate, it’s very fruit forward and juicy, but comes off a bit thin. It has an edge to it like a young wine will and with some decanting would probably open up a bit more.

I would say this wine is a buy and hold. It definitely has upside. Hopefully it being a bit thin doesn't hurt in the long run. Though I think it will be fine. I like it.

PHOTO_20160526_193450.jpg

How much did you drink of this after opening?

Did you notice it becoming more acidic, or different as you drank?

Thanks!

How much did you drink of this after opening?

Did you notice it becoming more acidic, or different as you drank?

Thanks!

It didn't become more acidic no. (at least I didn't notice that) I would more say it softened a bit if anything though not a lot.

Nothing yet. It's hot and steamy here today. I have a bottle of Harford Vineyard's Traminette in the fridge though. Soon...

It didn't become more acidic no. (at least I didn't notice that) I would more say it softened a bit if anything though not a lot.

Have you ever tried a Decoy Wine? If not try a merlot or cab. sauv. and give a report.

Thanks!

Have you ever tried a Decoy Wine? If not try a merlot or cab. sauv. and give a report.

Thanks!

I will look for it. It appears to be a Duckhorn product. I had their Goldeneye Pinot Noir. That stuff is awesome.

Back