What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry @JohnT..........

Not playing this year, maybe next year.

I am taking a week off to visit my elderly parents in San Antonio. Trying to help my dad put some weight on instead of losing it. Went out to Carabba's Italian Grill and brought home curbside takeaway. Picked up a really nice 2012 Tommasi Valpolicella "Ripasso". Wow, so much better than the Villa Antinori from the night before. Smooth as silk with a nice touch of oak, perfect acid, loads of red fruits especially cherry. Went especially well with Filet (steak) Marsala! :hug

466584.jpg

Yes, Jim, it is. And I was a little harsh on it. I thought about it a little more today and decided it deserved an 88. Kids are at a 90 right now. Trying to get them to clean a room they destroyed.
Also in my glass tonight. My 9-2015 Malbec from WGD. Phenomenal. Blackberry and earth on the nose. Stewed fruits and vanilla on the pallet. Heavy tannins. Needs a touch more oak and another year or two. Best wine (besides my port) I have made yet!!!ImageUploadedByWine Making1456536599.379933.jpg

I give my kids an 82 right now, buried in their "devices". Thinking about an internet free day soon (yea, I'm setting a good example right now).

That is a really delicious looking wine. You aren't shining a flashlight through that one. Wish I had a few hundred extra bucks to try out a batch from WGD.

Here's to hoping your wine keeps improving beyond your wildest dreams!

Sorry @JohnT..........

Not playing this year, maybe next year.

I am taking a week off to visit my elderly parents in San Antonio. Trying to help my dad put some weight on instead of losing it. Went out to Carabba's Italian Grill and brought home curbside takeaway. Picked up a really nice 2012 Tommasi Valpolicella "Ripasso". Wow, so much better than the Villa Antinori from the night before. Smooth as silk with a nice touch of oak, perfect acid, loads of red fruits especially cherry. Went especially well with Filet (steak) Marsala! :hug

466584.jpg

Love that wine!

@ColemanM: Beautiful color on that Malbec

Got invited to the St. Louis beer Centennial. Must have been about 200 beers there. Mostly from micro breweries, but. AB was there as well. Guess who I didn't taste any of? Had some really good porters and stouts. A few IPAs and a couple of good ciders. I probably shouldn't read this post tomorrow.

I agree, great color! For the life of me I can't figure out what WGD stands for!

Yes, Jim, it is. And I was a little harsh on it. I thought about it a little more today and decided it deserved an 88. Kids are at a 90 right now. Trying to get them to clean a room they destroyed.
Also in my glass tonight. My 9-2015 Malbec from WGD. Phenomenal. Blackberry and earth on the nose. Stewed fruits and vanilla on the pallet. Heavy tannins. Needs a touch more oak and another year or two. Best wine (besides my port) I have made yet!!!View attachment 27688

Yes, IIRC there was a 14-20 gram packet of tartaric acid included. I also added some water to get the brix down. 1.104 to .992 it holds some weight.

Tonight, I am enjoying an En Premeur Amarone that is now about 30 months old. This has transformed from a tannic, oak bomb, kick you in the teeth big red machine to an incredibly rich and full bodied bottle of yummy! Great balance of oak and tannins with full, deep, ripe red fruit. I wasn't sure this one would ever evolve to a great wine but patience has paid off. Fortunately, I still have about 14 bottles left so I will have to ration them out. I am retiring in a year or two so that will likely become my retirement party wine.

Tonight I racked and sulfited some wines from last fall. Winegrapesdirect Malbec and petite sirah. [emoji485]the Malbec was very good but I believe hitting its goofy stage. The petite sirah, after racking and degassing was, if I may be so bold, an exceptional wine. The tannins are abrasive though should tame over the next few years. If you are looking for a different wine, this is a great purchase. Two buckets got me nearly 7 1/2 gallons.

we are drinking the left over taster bottles from Sunday - my wife a Fredonia and me a Battlefield blush (concord/Niagara blend).

I am in a quandary as it is a Harry Potter weekend AND the new House of Cards on Netflix....

Hokapsig glad things are going well I am getting to open a Steuben from the Messay Closet winery as my wife named my wine. I need to get ahold of you and try battlefield red
Tom

Hokapsig glad things are going well I am getting to open a Steuben from the Messay Closet winery as my wife named my wine. I need to get ahold of you and try battlefield red
Tom

you're a hop, skip and a jump from me. I'd love to swap a Bat Blush for a Steuben....

Back