What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a 20 year old brandy...smooth. a little cut, nice color, and it sure warms you up...turn down the heater.

A Walla Wall Merlot that I have not had before (Waterbrook). Meh, it's okay.

Edited to add: I realize "meh" is soooo 2 years ago, but it is the perfect way to characterize this wine-drinking experience.

Pulled out a bottle I've had in my cellar for some years now for my birthday. 2001 was an outstanding year in Pomerol. The wine has held up exceedingly well.

1904039_10100381434189959_886475629_n.jpg

Quinta Nova de Nossa Senhora Do Carmo Port, an average to good ruby port.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Wine Making mobile app

Wine Bomb.. Yeah Seriously

I realize I may catch some Hell for this, BUT I've been awake WAAAAY too long. My husband's not going to be home for a few hours and I have to stay awake. That being said I took some of my cheap Welch's Concord/Niagara and added some Red Bull mixed from my Soda Stream (might I add, I dislike Red Bull in the 1st place because it tastes like a lazer). Believe it or not, it's not bad, actually BETTER with the Red Bull in it.

Excuse me now while I sprint wildly around the house cleaning.

I did do some sensory evaluation. Here's my tasting notes.

This has been in my cellar for more than half its life. The wine is clear, decanted off just a little bit of sediments in the bottle. Color is still vibrant red with no discernible browning. A decidedly old world nose is presented when sniffed. Aromas of earth and slight mushroom mixed with more pronounced bright red fruits of cherry and raspberry delight the olfactory senses. This is met with some vanilla and a trace of eucalyptus. On the palate the red cherry dominates blended with subtle leather and spice. Acids are well balanced and tannins are soft. The fruit lingers and dances in the back of my throat diminishing ever so slowly. This is delightful! I tasted it with a bit of German chocolate cake. WOW! How very interesting. The delicate structure is laid bare and the pairing is excellent.

Last edited:
Some 1 year old Dragon Blood. Lemme tell ya - age is very good to this stuff.

Wow!! This is wonderful news! Thanks for sharing :) so hat changes do u note? Balance, body or fruitiness? All of
the above?

Balance really. Drinking it early on, there seems to be a distinct tart side and fruity. Now, everything plays happily into one. :D

Hmmm I'll have to hide some from myself! But then like a squirrel I won't find it again!

We had a friend over for dinner, then went to her house for some Olympics. A fair amount of wine was consumed. Notably, we had some La Crema Chardonnay (very smooth and buttery) and some Kendall-Jackson Syrah. The former was divine, the latter was very pleasant, spicy, and balanced.

2011 Evening land Pinot noir to accompany salmon. Lightweight Oregon Pinot.

Back