What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

jswordy

Wonderful WINO
Reaction score
A handy chart. :D One drink equals 1.5 ounces of 80 proof liquor (40% alcohol), 12 ounces of beer (4.5% alcohol), or 5 ounces of wine (12% alcohol). I need my arms and hands to make my living. It is easy enough to slip up while sober. Stay safe.

Screen Shot 2021-06-03 at 3.44.59 PM.png

jswordy

Wonderful WINO
Reaction score
Chateau Francs Magnus. Definitely left bank and cab-based, thinner nose, slightly less hefty and quite a bit less complex through the middle than I like ideally, lots of pepper that lingers as the finish. Paired with a grilled ribeye and Romaine-based salad.

IMG_2221.jpg

Reaction score
This is the first Chambourcin wine that I’ve had. It’s pretty difficult to find in this part of Ontario, Potter Settlement is the only producer I know of.

In the background you can see the blue tubes of my little vineyard where I recently added some Crimson Pearl and L’Acadie vines

Attachments

winemaker81

wine dabbler
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
I stopped on the way home from the dentist this afternoon, doing a bit of shopping. This caught my eye so I checked it on Vivinio -- the overall rating was 4.0 for an $8 wine. Ok, I'm game.

Wow! Serious Wow! Really strong raspberry with blackberry, and light tannic finish. This is not a steak wine, my usual yardstick for dry reds. I'm not serving it with dinner (stew beef marinated in cognac, allspice, salt, pepper & garlic) as it's too fruity. But with mild cheese? Wow.

Intermingle.jpg

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Reaction score
The story is found below the pictures. First, the bottles:

IMG_1925.JPG

So, my M-I-L came across a couple of milk crates of wine from one of her late husbands; the crate has been kicking around for a long time. Unfortunately, the wine was stored in very poor conditions, and upright to boot. Most of the wine in the crates is non-descript. Since discovery, they have been using the wines "to kill weeds" in her words. I asked to go through it anyway and see if there was anything interesting.

Well, I was a bit intrigued by the 47-year-old Chateauneuf-du-Pape. Hmmm, what is that I see, is that sediment? No, it is the damn cork floating in the wine! Who knows how long it has been open to the air. We tried it anyway: it was (unsurprisingly) highly oxidized, but it had decent sherry flavors and a really nice aftertaste. Not good enough to drink, however! :D

I have not yet tried the Montrachet. (Note: "Pinot Chardonnay" is an obselescent term for Chardonnay.) As most of you know, Burgundy Chards can be age-worthy. In fact, a websearch reveals that bottles from this vintner in the 1970 to 1976 range are listed on various winesearcher-type sites for $150 to $200 bones. Of course, that is if they were stored in good conditions. :slp I hope to report good news on this one, but I doubt it! The color on it looks like it is badly oxidized.

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Reaction score
The story is found below the pictures. First, the bottles:

View attachment 75317

So, my M-I-L came across a couple of milk crates of wine from one of her late husbands; the crate has been kicking around for a long time. Unfortunately, the wine was stored in very poor conditions, and upright to boot. Most of the wine in the crates is non-descript. Since discovery, they have been using the wines "to kill weeds" in her words. I asked to go through it anyway and see if there was anything interesting.

Well, I was a bit intrigued by the 47-year-old Chateauneuf-du-Pape. Hmmm, what is that I see, is that sediment? No, it is the damn cork floating in the wine! Who knows how long it has been open to the air. We tried it anyway: it was (unsurprisingly) highly oxidized, but it had decent sherry flavors and a really nice aftertaste. Not good enough to drink, however! :D

I have not yet tried the Montrachet. (Note: "Pinot Chardonnay" is an obselescent term for Chardonnay.) As most of you know, Burgundy Chards can be age-worthy. In fact, a websearch reveals that bottles from this vintner in the 1970 to 1976 range are listed on various winesearcher-type sites for $150 to $200 bones. Of course, that is if they were stored in good conditions. :slp I hope to report good news on this one, but I doubt it! The color on it looks like it is badly oxidized.
Well, I used the C-d-P instead of sherry for a mushroom reduction sauce tonight. Pas mal.

Yooper🍷

Reaction score
Gave a bottle of my year old Amarone to my wine tasting friends. I have shone great patience by not tasting it since bottling it..These are their comments.

Monty !! This is darn good ! It has a super bright fruitiness , and it’s nice and dry ... some decent tannins ...
We get a little bit of floral notes on the nose ....

That made my day. I guess I’ll have a bottle with dinner0EBD0081-E2EF-4765-A21C-F8E8961D0DA1.jpeg

Khristyjeff

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Gave a bottle of my year old Amarone to my wine tasting friends. I have shone great patience by not tasting it since bottling it..These are their comments.

Monty !! This is darn good ! It has a super bright fruitiness , and it’s nice and dry ... some decent tannins ...
We get a little bit of floral notes on the nose ....

That made my day. I guess I’ll have a bottle with dinnerView attachment 75484
That's great comments! Congrats. What did you make this from? Juice? Grapes? Kit?

Khristyjeff

Supporting Members
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
It was from a kit.

RJS Craft Winemaking
En Primeur Winery Series Amarone Classico

I will remember that prob start another right away.
Very nice. I've got that exact kit going now. I'll look forward to it in a year. I've already bottled the RJS En Primeur Italian Amerone. It was excellent early but my guess is this one I should wait a year for like you did.

Yooper🍷

Reaction score
BM4x4 I used 7.5 g of yeast and 7.5 g of Go Ferm in a cup of water which is between 95F-105F (so I target 100F), stir and let sit for 20 minutes then pitch without stirring. When 1/3 of sugar depleted, add 5 grams of Ferm K.

Latest posts