What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And...?

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I think it is just ok.....

Every now and then if you get lucky and stay out of the way and let the grapes turn into wine with little to no intervention you get rewarded with something very special. I think I my have had two wines that turned out to be really special out of all of them and this is one of them. My 2013 Toscana de Roja. 50% Sangio, 25% Cab Sauv, 25% Merlot. I remember this wine like it was yesterday. When it was fermenting I wanted to jump into the Primary it smelled that good. It has not only withstood the test of time but continues to stand up well even today. Paired with some Ho-made Pizza which was excellent but really the wine was the star of the show tonight. If you have a wine that stands up not only to dinner but then actually gets better with more air after dinner you have something really special. I was literally cringing as I sipped the last few ounces tonight. It was hitting on all cylinders even after 7 years. I have about a case left still. This one is special for sure.

1598060965551.jpeg

These Sebastiani bottles were from yesterday, my wife and I, as well as several of my wife's coworkers, did a virtual winery tour and tasting. My wife received the wine as a gift, the 6 bottles arrived on the doorstep, we didn't open the Chardonnay so it's in the cellar. It was an interesting experience, Sebastiani representative walking around giving the typical tour of the site and barrels and tanks, everyone on split screen tasting etc., just crazy, but it was fun. All of the wines were good, the Cherry Block is a nice Cab for sure, it's a bit of a shame to have opened all of those bottles, there's no way to finish it all with just the two of us, though my neighbor is on his way to help.......

Sebastiani Tasting .JPG

Just cracked the first one of the night... Every time I drink this stuff it reminds me of the old Lowenbrau. I miss that beer. Same kinda deal with Beck's too - it's a German beer but not really. :h

View attachment 65225

Gee, thanks Jim. Now I have the old Lowenbrau song stuck in my head.

"Here's to good friends. Tonight is kinda special..."

Finished off a previously opened bottle of Valpolicella. Just opened a Pinot Noir to breathe a bit. Happened to be in the basement to retrieve my Passport drive with all my music on it and researched the two wines I'm drinking. The Valpolicella was made in November or 2015 from a kit, the Pinot Noir in April of 2016 (I think a juice bucket and a couple of lugs of grapes).

Nice to be drinking some 4 yr old wine for a change.

Valpolicella actually had no kit taste to me, we'll see how the Pinot Noir fares in a few minutes.

IMG_20200831_180921.jpg

A Costco find from trip this evening. 90 points on somebody's scale. From Spain, a mix of Monstrall 55%, Cab Sauv 25% and Sryah 20%. Little on the nose even after an hour of opening and using an aerator. Very jammy, with blueberry, BlackBerry, and BlackBerry tastes. And the best part $6 per bottle. How in the heck can they sell it for that and make a profit.

View attachment 65362

A Costco find from trip this evening. 90 points on somebody's scale. From Spain, a mix of Monstrall 55%, Cab Sauv 25% and Sryah 20%. Little on the nose even after an hour of opening and using an aerator. Very jammy, with blueberry, BlackBerry, and BlackBerry tastes. And the best part $6 per bottle. How in the heck can they sell it for that and make a profit.

I also bought that one at Costco some time ago.

Won 5 Best of Shows with it.
The best part of being a home winemaker,is when you can send your wine cross country and people who don't know you critique it and
that's the kind of results you get back I'm not tooting my own horn. I think those of us who go into competition except either the failures or rewards of the Craft. Remember it's all subjective at the source. 👍

have anyone saw a Netflix show called the wines guys really interesting and has a lot of insight into the wine making and buying end.

Back