What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starting with the leftovers from yesterday's bottling of the CC Showcase Yakima Syrah. Once that's gone, I'm going to open either a 2013 CA Grand Red, or a very late 2012 CC LR Red Mountain Trio.

A bit of DangerDaves own original DB (leftover from last nights' judging of the WMT Dragon Blood variant competition) is definitely hitting the spot after a long day of visiting with family and shopping.

I was treating myself on the weekend to this 2005 Brunello for my birthday . Finishing it tonight . I used the occasion to compare the Kenridge Founders Brunello style kit I made 1.5 years ago (discontinued ) . Mine is more fruit forward and not as dry and a little more oakier . The 2005 is more smother but not as a heavy body wine as I expected . Overall I am happy with my kit . :b

IMG_20140901_211455.jpg

Enjoying a delightful cab franc tonight that I brought home from a terrific small producer in Washington. ImageUploadedByWine Making1409702370.964730.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Last night I opened a bottle of my sweet red Concord from 2008. It aged beautifully. It was kind of strange to drink something older than my oldest child.

Getting together with a buddy of mine to share a bottle of Opus One (1996). He also has a stash of great cigars (but will only flame up after the Opus One is gone).

Wow, a $350 Napa Valley bottle of red. The 1997 is like $1,000 a bottle.

I bottled my LE Grenache Rose tonight, so I am drinking the leftovers. I made it dry so it is quite nice. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Makin

I did the same with mine - put half the fpac into the primary. I'm liking it.

Last night, I had the leftovers from Friday's Red Mountain Cab. WOW, WOW, WOW! 21 months old now and I'm loving it. But the overnight rest in a half empty bottle proves it still needs a little more time. It was really good Friday, but it blew me away last night.

Grilled some Boneless Short Ribs yesterday marinated all day long in the Bibigo Marinade (Thank you for the tip Jim/Boatboy)! Asian Cole Slaw, Potato Salad.

Here is the cool part. Pulled out a '12 Sleight of Hand Cellars "The Conjurer" I found at Costco for ~$22. Pretty good bottle of wine (Bordeaux Blend) for the money. I had a split left over from bottling all my '12 Blends made from fresh grapes from the Lodi AVA. I pulled the split with my version of Orin Swift "The Prisoner" which is a predominantly Zin wine with Cab Sauv, Syrah and Petit Syrah and brought it to the table as well. It was actually preferred by our dinner guest over the commercial bottle!

I think these wines are gonna be good! :sm

Last edited:
after a very trying week at work (it was Whacking week), the wife and I enjoyed our own Steuben, Sweet Diamond, a Shurina Cellars Gewurtramminer, a Nicassio Winery Catawba and a Christian Clay White Swan Tavern.

We bottled the wine from the WE Nero D'Avola with grape-skin kit awhile ago after one year bulk aging. I open a bottle tonight and was pleasantly surprised. Definitely as good as any store bought Nero in the $10-$18 range. Terrific with Southern Italian red sauce dishes.

I keep saying I need to drink the aging bottles from my cellar before they get past their prime. Some probably are. This one - 2006 vintage - is not. It's smooth, aromatic with hints of black pepper (which I love) and vanilla spice, and definitely not past! I'm glad I opened it. I have one more bottle waiting that I need to drink soon as the tannin structure is nicely mellowed that I don't know if it will last much longer.

10516835_10100536747406029_2421500551664654198_n.jpg

So was a it good? We seen it and wondered about it.

"Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever." - Aristophanes

Better than I expected. It is insanely dark - hence one of the reasons for the name, I guess. Like it's cousin, Apothic Red, there is a hint of sweet, but not overly so. I didn't taste side by side, and it's been a while since I've had an Apothic Red. But going on memory, this is bolder, with stronger tannin and less sugar. Definitely a good buy - I think it was $10 or $11.

I told a friend it is the wine equivalent of a big, chewy oatmeal stout. A meal in a bottle. :D

Had to top off the Tempranillo-Garnacha barrel and I used some "Red Guitar". It is pretty decent, and I had about a glass left in the bottle after top up. I'm following that up with RJS En Primeur Amarone - only about 13 months old, but some members have been asking about Amarone kits. So in the interest of science, I thought I should test mine and provide some insight. ;)

I appreciate your sacrifice, Jim, in the name of science of course.:h I have a goal of making a different Amarone every year so I am interested in the En Primeur . After sampling my year and half old Cellar Craft Amarone, I might have to make the En Premeur and Showcase Amarone next year.

Back