What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did an impromptu Sauvignon Blanc round robin tonight. While we were trying to figure out what to do for dinner, I cracked an ~18 month old Eclipse Sauvignon Blanc. We eventually decided to go out, where I started with a 2012 Kim Crawford (New Zealand), followed by a Joel Gott from CA. Maybe it is cellar pallet, but the Eclipse was a clear winner in my book. The Kim Crawford was nothing but acid and mineral. Really no flavor or body at all, but very crisp. I've had it before and wasn't crazy about it, but wanted to try it after having sampled my own. The Joel Gott was pretty decent, actually. Pretty well balanced fruit and acid, but a little lacking in body and mouthfeel. I'd buy it again though, if it were decently priced. The Eclipse brings great body, mouthfeel and fruit, while delivering a mildly crisp finish. Ideally, I'd up that finish a bit, but it really is a very good wine. All in all, I think the Eclipse was the winner by a long shot.

Last edited:
Cline Zinfandel. This was my former "house red," but was displaced a few years ago. Picked up a couple of bottles on sale, and it is very fine, very quaffable tonight!

Ever since Kim Crawford got bought out by some giant conglomerate they have turned out schlep and selling it with their name alone. No mas for me either.

I want to check the pH and TA on my Eclipse whites especially the Riesling. They both are fantastic right out of the bottle but they seem to fall flat by about 2/3 of the way through the bottle with a meal. Perhaps a little Tartaric is in order to crisp it up.

Did an impromptu Sauvignon Blanc round robin tonight. While we were trying to figure out what to do for dinner, I cracked an ~18 month old Eclipse Sauvignon Blanc. We eventually decided to go out, where I started with a 2012 Kim Crawford (New Zealand), followed by a Joel Gott from CA. Maybe it is cellar pallet, but the Eclipse was a clear winner in my book. The Kim Crawford was nothing but acid and mineral. Really no flavor or body at all, but very crisp. I've had it before and wasn't crazy about it, but wanted to try it after having sampled my own. The Joel Gott was pretty decent, actually. Pretty well balanced fruit and acid, but a little lacking in body and mouthfeel. I'd buy it again though, if it were decently priced. The Eclipse brings great body, mouthfeel and fruit, while delivering a mildly crisp finish. Ideally, I'd up that finish a bit, but it really is a very good wine. All in all, I think the Eclipse was the winner by a long shot.

Ever since Kim Crawford got bought out by some giant conglomerate they have turned out schlep and selling it with their name alone. No mas for me either.

I want to check the pH and TA on my Eclipse whites especially the Riesling. They both are fantastic right out of the bottle but they seem to fall flat by about 2/3 of the way through the bottle with a meal. Perhaps a little Tartaric is in order to crisp it up.

I know Tartaric is the generally accepted acid to use for adjustments, but would you consider citric in this case? Would that add a citrus element to the "crispness"? I have some citric on hand - may have to do some bench trials.

I read on Jack Kellers website that adding citric post fermentation will increase acid, but will also taste fake. I put that to the test with the only only only kit I ever made a few days back. Luna Bianca. It needed more zip so I added blend, which I believe was high on citric. I can identify the fake taste. The wine really needed it (I admit I really like high acid wines) but the fake taste is there all right. I'd go tartaric if I have to do it again post fermentation.

Pam in cinti

There is plenty of citrus notes, it just falls flat on the tongue in 15min or so. Not sure if this is finally a difference between a kit white wine and a white wine made from fresh grapes but it definitely has no staying power as far as crispness. I will stick with tartaric if the pH is not already down in the 3.2 range.

I know Tartaric is the generally accepted acid to use for adjustments, but would you consider citric in this case? Would that add a citrus element to the "crispness"? I have some citric on hand - may have to do some bench trials.

Tonight I'm enjoying a 2013 Bushy Run Winery Rioja. Nice full body, good oak flavor, very well rounded wine. I might even save a glass for tomorrow.

Just finished back sweetening the 2013 Elderberry. It was made with just ove 6 lbs per gallon. Not near a full bodied as the 2012 batch but very good and very drinkable. That's whats in my glass.

2012 Edna Valley Cabernet. Normally $14.99 at Safeway (which is 2 or 3 dollars more than it should be), but today it was buy one, get one for $0.10. I should have grabbed a case, but just got two.

Nothing as high class as some of you better vintners. A glass of
blueberry pom made 5/14/13 from Northland 100% juice from
Walmart.

Bill

And how is it? I'm thinking I need a bottle of that, :i

yo, Julie, back of the line. I got dibs on bottles of that....

Meanwhile, slurping on my own 2013 Isabella. Interesting taste and nice mouth feel....

Latest posts

Back