What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little 2016 Cab Franc from Aonair, a 4 barrel production. With just a few rows of grapes, it’s pretty hard to get their Cab Franc, managed two bottles and glad I did. It’s hard to find a really good straight up CF, and it’s awesome when you can find a good one, this is one. Satisfying nose of lilacs and red fruit, full-bodied with solid tannins, red and black berries, and a nice long finish. A real winner in my book.
24F44433-CD5A-46CE-B553-CFC48AF4D36F.jpeg

The last of it's generation. I started this kit in December of 2012 (my first year making wine) and bottled in May of 2013. This has held up really well. And the cork from George at FineVineWines has held up as well. A great wine (if I do say so myself), but a sad reminder of an excellent business and business owner lost.

A379B118-8AE5-4642-B426-6126B98DAD4B.jpeg

That's funny, good Bourbon doesn't need anything else in the glass.

What is the glass for?

I was curious to see the context for the comment that @Thig had posted that Rocky was cleverly playing off of. I was a bit surprised to find it was 6 years old, but imagine my profound surprise to see that Thig was responding to something that *I* had posted, lo those many years ago. I know most here won't agree with me ;), but I found it fun to re-read myself.

True story: I went to a nice restaurant once, and, after dinner, ordered a single-malt scotch neat. The young waiter asked if I wanted that "up, or on the rocks?"

I had been a young, naive waiter for many years, and I identified with the kid, and I wanted to be nice. "No, no, I replied, I want it neat. Just tell your bartender I want it neat, he will know."

He nodded, and went off to the bar. He then came back and said the bartender wanted to know if I wanted it up or on the rocks. I said "No, just straight, that is, neat. Don't mix it with anything. Just the scotch itself." He went back to the bartender to negotiate this strange request.

He came back AGAIN, reporting the bartender didn't understand what I wanted, did I want it up or on the rocks? I began to lose my patience. From there, the conversation went like this:

Him: "So, how should he make this?"

Me: "Tell him to take a glass"

Him: "uh-huh..."

Me: "and then take the bottle of scotch"

Me: "and then pour some of the scotch into the glass"

Me: "and then you bring the glass to me."

Poor kid looked gobsmacked, but it worked. He apologized that neither he nor his bartender had ever heard of this before.

The last of it's generation. I started this kit in December of 2012 (my first year making wine) and bottled in May of 2013. This has held up really well. And the cork from George at FineVineWines has held up as well. A great wine (if I do say so myself), but a sad reminder of an excellent business and business owner lost.

View attachment 60358

Checked my notes and I started this kit on Dec 11, 2013

image.jpg
Made this a little over a year ago. Not loving it tonight. Think I may have over fortified it.

Good eye catching that in the background @crushday . I was at my daughter’s house when I took this picture, but it’s a bottle I gave them. Really took me a while to figure out how you knew I made that kit! 😜

I started that LE17 Petit Ruby Cab on Jan 10, 2018, bottled it August of 18 (hurried to bottle as I moved) and most recently opened a bottle about a month ago (I didn’t have any of the one in the picture, they drank it without me 😩). My notes say that the wine has vanilla on the nose and dark fruit + black Peper on the palate. Took about 30 minutes to open up and the Tannins are very soft. Overall it’s a nice drinking wine, but I had some pretty high hopes for this blend to be bigger and bolder than it has turned out so far.

In hindsight I wish I had added some finishing tannins for a little more structure mouthfeel, but the rush to bottle through me off my game.

@Doug’s wines Thanks for the info. I barrel aged mine on July 1, 2019 in a 15 gallon French oak barrel. I’ve been using the extra 3 gallons as top up wine for it and other barrels I have aging.

I started it in March of 2018 and it was carboy aged for about a year. I’ve thieved a few tastes over the last year and have been underwhelmed thus far. It’s been a while now since the last thieving. I bottle on or around July 1st 2020. I’ll give you my impressions then if you’d like.

@crushday definitely like to hear your thoughts. I tossed some oak in the carboy, but didn’t have the chance to barrel age this one due to life impacts. Would like to know how yours turned out.

This was one of my ‘gateway drugs’ when I first started to realize that in many cases, wines over $10 are better than wines under $10. Cheaper than it used to be, I had to grab one when I saw them for $11.50 at Costco today.
D97E6CCB-E077-4F50-93ED-0483C1332779.jpeg

Costco is actually one of the best stores handling this virus situation, they provide good wipe stations at the entrance, registers were arranged so one is open and the next is closed, plus the registers have a big glass wall surrounding the employee, plus other things, all good.

Go Costco..!! (you can tell I'm a big fan :) )

Latest posts

Back