What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since my first wine is months from being ready......my wife and and are starting out with my own distilled wheat neutral (vodka) martinis. So yummy...a bit dirty.

"...a bit dirty"? What does that term mean? Does it just apply to martinis or is it also a term descriptive of a wine characteristic?

Thanks...

I had the opportunity to share three very nice bottles of wine with friends last night.

First up - from Texas:

10267765_10100447069546179_6179623695511226968_n.jpg

This was given to me by a friend last summer who visited this winery. Not a fruity wine at all. I would characterize it as grassy and savory. It had a nice silky texture and is definitely one to pair with foods. Not sweet at all as one might expect from a white wine from the middle of the country. Structurally complex and interesting.

Next was a red blend from the Santa Cruz Mountains. This is a bottle I brought back with me from my trip to the Bay Area in February.

10270293_10100447069571129_6709565532298426527_n.jpg

Alloy is a blend of 49% Cabernet Sauvignon, 35% Merlot, 9% Cabernet Franc and 7% Petite Verdot. Hints of cherries provided a backdrop for a light but delicious wine that went well with the pizza we were eating.

And, another bottle from CA, this one from Livermore. Page Mill Winery does a fine job with their wines and I like their clean label.

10354149_10100447069586099_2111268097946236926_n.jpg

This syrah was rich, fruity with a smokey meat quality. Just the thing to chew on with dinner. Earthy aromas lend to the deep complex mouthfeel.

All were thoroughly enjoyable!

Some Brooklyn Brew Shop Bourbon Dubbel, followed by MM Rennaisance Aussie Chardonnay.

2004 Jordan Cabernet with a medium rare filet shared with my wife. Life could not get much better.

2004 Jordan Cabernet with a medium rare filet shared with my wife. Life could not get much better.

Oh, my! Quite the splurge for tonight! :db :mny :db

As for me, I have had some 2006 7 Deadly Zins, then I mixed up another 5-bottle batch of my (soon-to-be) world famous Pan-American Meritage. Both were very, very pleasing.

HA!!! Yeah Sourgrapes. I have 4 bottles of that in my cellar and two magnums so I was thinking given the vintage ( and the fact I have some reserves ) it was about time to pop the cork. It needed to be decanted and left for about 2 hours to really open up. I picked them up at a Jordan wine dinner a few years back and at the time I was impressed but not overly. The time has created magic with that vintage.

BTW sour grapes. Have you tried Chateau Montelena Zin? I am on the pre release list and I get about a case a year and I have been astounded by how good it is for the price point. My wife ( who is a super taster and very tough to please ) LOVES it.

BTW sour grapes. Have you tried Chateau Montelena Zin? I am on the pre release list and I get about a case a year and I have been astounded by how good it is for the price point. My wife ( who is a super taster and very tough to please ) LOVES it.

Um, no, I haven't. I pretty much have a hard time conceiving ever getting a chance to taste anything from Chateau Montelena! Hope I am wrong!

PLUS for Chat. Montelena zin. It's very good. We can get it around here, so you bold be able to find it, Paul. I'm getting some for our AWS zin tasting next month.

Even I can find the Zin, the Estate Cab and the regular Cab locally. Still have an 02' Estate Cab in the Cellar. The CM Zin I had was pretty good but for the greenbacks I think you can find far better wine for less from Seghesio

We had a surprise last night, Lori came home with a $4.00 bottle of red from Big Lots saying she liked the bottle and thought we could use it for cooking. It was a 2008 Tannat/Syrah blend from Tanterra in Uraguay. Just for giggles I opened it up to taste and thought it was kind of tasty and we ended up finishing the bottle while making dinner. I googled it up this morning to find it listed as a good medal winner here in Los Angeles and lots of reviews and scores in the 88 to 91 range. I'm heading back to Big Lots after work to pick up any and all they have left. Might even try a few different stores.
Mike

We had a surprise last night, Lori came home with a $4.00 bottle of red from Big Lots saying she liked the bottle and thought we could use it for cooking. It was a 2008 Tannat/Syrah blend from Tanterra in Uraguay. Just for giggles I opened it up to taste and thought it was kind of tasty and we ended up finishing the bottle while making dinner. I googled it up this morning to find it listed as a good medal winner here in Los Angeles and lots of reviews and scores in the 88 to 91 range. I'm heading back to Big Lots after work to pick up any and all they have left. Might even try a few different stores.
Mike

Tannat is an interesting grape. Its supposed to be Uruguay's signature red. And for that price buy a few cases!

Latest posts

Back