What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the detailed description. I'm way n00b when it comes to wine pretty much, but I have completely fallen for it and the myriad of flavors it can produce. (and the crazy depth it provides with a great pairing) I can't explain it, but reading notes (non-professional notes anyhow) gives a vicarious sensation that I very much appreciate and makes me want to try it also!

I take my own notes, but get kind of embarrassed at times by them publicly, but I take them none the less. I still find enjoyment in taking them though.

David, you have great detailed descriptions in your notes. Keep them coming.

The thing I love is to go back and look at some of my descriptions and realize the same vintage tastes a bit different depending on the day I'm drinking it, or what I'm eating it with. Last night I whipped up a batch of shrimp scampi because I knew I had a bottle of my 2015 Pinot Grigio nice and cold in the fridge. So in that case I was pairing the food with the wine, verses the wine with the food. I'm weird like that.

So in that case I was pairing the food with the wine, verses the wine with the food. I'm weird like that.

I will do that when ordering at restaurants sometimes. Decide what I want to drink first, then choose my food based on that.

David, you have great detailed descriptions in your notes. Keep them coming.

The thing I love is to go back and look at some of my descriptions and realize the same vintage tastes a bit different depending on the day I'm drinking it, or what I'm eating it with. Last night I whipped up a batch of shrimp scampi because I knew I had a bottle of my 2015 Pinot Grigio nice and cold in the fridge. So in that case I was pairing the food with the wine, verses the wine with the food. I'm weird like that.

Thank. :e

I try to buy two bottles when I buy a new one and I too have noticed the second tasting doesn't always match the first. I figured it's just because my palette isn't quite trained yet.

I will do that when ordering at restaurants sometimes. Decide what I want to drink first, then choose my food based on that.

I do that all the time. Actually, many times I check the wine list so I can decide to pair the wine with the food or the food with the wine. If the food looks better, I pair it. If I see something interesting on the wine menu, I pair the food with it.

Which ever sounds the most interesting becomes the main course of sort! :)

Thanks for the detailed description. I'm way n00b when it comes to wine pretty much, but I have completely fallen for it and the myriad of flavors it can produce. (and the crazy depth it provides with a great pairing) I can't explain it, but reading notes (non-professional notes anyhow) gives a vicarious sensation that I very much appreciate and makes me want to try it also!

I take my own notes, but get kind of embarrassed at times by them publicly, but I take them none the less. I still find enjoyment in taking them though.

I enjoy your posts on wines and the details about them. Actually this is one of my favorite threads.

2011 Saviah Cellars GSM. Grenache, Syrah, Mourvedre Lots of red fruit on the nose especially strawberry and raspberry followed by spice and pepper followed by just a hint of vanilla. Nice acidity and a long finish to boot. This wine does not disappoint. Last of 3 bottles purchased and wish I had more.

IMG_1677.jpg

I visited my local wine shop today and there was an distributor there offering tastings of their products. I tried three of them and found one to be to my liking and picked up a bottle of it.

You would think this wine is it, but it's not. They were also tasting an Orbit wine, but it was the Cabernet Sauvignon. The bottle I picked up was also a Cab, just not the Orbit which I did try, but was all that fond of.

While perusing the Pinot Noir section, I noticed they had an Orbit Pinot Noir. Given the Cab didn't spark much interest, I don't actually know why I was drawn to it. Well, tonight that is what we're tasting. 2014 Orbit Pinot Noir from California's Russian River Valley.

IMG_20160917_201208.jpg

A beautiful translucent ruby hue. Thin scents of pomegranate and volcanic rock. Buoyant fruit flavors of red cherry, backed with light plum and a red apple rind. Very fruit forward and quite lively.

Better than expected from an $18US Pinot Noir and definitely a surprise from my Orbit Cab tasting initial thoughts. Though I tend to really like many of the Pinot Noir's coming out of the Russian River Valley. (Miro being one of my favorites)

Water. Had to fill in assistant coaching my son's 6pm baseball game which carried us to about 8:15. Gotta run (or try - I'm beat) 9 miles in the morning.

Water. Had to fill in assistant coaching my son's 6pm baseball game which carried us to about 8:15. Gotta run (or try - I'm beat) 9 miles in the morning.

Leftovers from a bottle of Vendetta. They finally had a vacuvin in stock at my restaurant supply store, so got it and an eight pack of vins, for about 8 bucks. Popped them on top of any open bottles we had in the fridge, showed the wife how to use it (now I hear clicking all the time).

Jim, I'm beat just thinking of you running 9 miles, good night.

Jim, I'm beat just thinking of you running 9 miles, good night.

Sadly, I've done too much physically, these last 4 days. Woke up this morning and my body just said 'no, I won't do it'. Got in a very lazy (aka slow) 5 miles though. I have three more weeks to go until the Army Ten Miler. Did 8 last weekend, so I'm doing OK (I think). 9 next weekend, then another 9 or 10 the following weekend.

I opened the bottle of extra wine I had from my Petit Syrah when I racked.
I'm not a pro at this, but I bought a commercial Petit Syrah thats quite acclaimed here in Israel to compare with.
My tasting notes are as follows: my wine wins the color competition. The commercial wine was smoother drinking but my wine was much fruitier with more taste. On the age the commercial wine won, with my wine being a month old.

Just bottled a batch of Raspberry yesterday that used a Vintners Reserve 128 oz fruit base, 1L of red grape concentrate, and a few lbs of frozen raspberries. My wife and I are already on our 3rd bottle of this (2 x 375 + 1 x 750) and it is really good for being so young. Started it a the beginning of February this year, so not very old as far a fruit wines go, especially an acid bomb as raspberry can be at times.

Back sweetened to 1.003, so the taste at this point reminds me of a wild raspberry that isn't super sweet on it's own. Still has some bitterness, like you'd get from the seeds, but it is in the background. Left it a bit less sweet knowing that the sweetness level will come to the foreground as it ages, if it gets the chance!

9-18-16_raspberry.jpg

Last edited:
After I put him to work, I figured I'd open up something nice for Dad. Of course, we sampled what was left from our bottlings and they were nice. Then I opened one of my first bottles from the Columbia Crest Reserve Club - a blend of Cab Sauv, Merlot, Cab Franc and Malbec. Quite nice, and I'm happy to say that our blends, while young, stood up pretty well to this one.

2014 McManis Viognier

Light gold in color. Medium plus body with aromatics of wet gravel and light lemon lime scents. Creamy flavors of citrus and honeydew that comes off semi sweet initially and then tails into nice tangy finish.

For $10, this is a great wine!

IMG_20160919_184511.jpg

Another installment in the 'Bourbon Barrel Aged Wine' category. Tonight is 1,000 Stories 2014 Zinfandel. I'd say this is a pretty classic Zin, with the additions of: a hint of residual sugar, caramel and a bite from the 15.5% ABV (and, perhaps, the bourbon essence). Of the three different Bourbon influenced wines I've tried in the last few months, this is probably my favorite. I would buy again and age a couple years.

Opened a bottle of 20 month old Concord/Niagara wine. I can't believe this hasn't turned to vinegar yet (batch number 4). Had a really nice grapey nose, acids have died back a bit. My wife said, it has a certain taste I can't describe, I said "foxy" is how they normally describe it. The small amount of oak I used is gone, color is getting red/orange, so I think it has hit its peak. Time to drink 'er up or give it away. Need to tip a Dornfelder carboy and get some oak in my life...

Edit: the Dornfelder didn't disappoint. The flavor of this one is really growing on me as it ages. It's only a few days over a year old, and I have a winestik in 3 gallons of it, and I think it will age really nicely, with or without the extra oak (5 gallons is about to be bottled, without the extra oak addition).

Last edited:
Tipping my carboys again (bad habit). Raided the Dornfelder with a bit more oak in it. Is my first and only glass of the night, good choice on my part. I've got to bottle this so I can legally drink it in the future. Tastes much better now that the AIO has properly degassed it.

I finally popped a cork on one of these 2014 Kirkland Signature Columbia Valley Merlot Cabernet's tonight. This is a bulk buy. Its ready to go right out of the gate. Nice oak, really nice acid and a nice long finish. A little hot at 14.9% ABV but I imagine it would be perfect for joeswine LOL. Wish it had a bit more tannin but then it would not be ready to go right out of the bottle. it does seem to get better with a little air but all in all a fantastic wine for the $9 a bottle!

ks%2Bmerlot%2Bcab.jpg

a WE Pinot Noir that has been aged for all of 36 hours and is literaly the bottom of the bucket dregs. Since this is only the second Pinot I have ever tasted, I would have to say it is at least the second best Pinot I've ever tasted!
A bit rough, but seems to be effective.

Latest posts

Back