What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Dr. Ordered me to have this tonight while sitting in front of fire....
and work:(
Petite Syrah down to last bottle delicious tobacco, cherry smooth finish and mouthfeel.

image.jpg

Something I can't pronounce. Very citrus, but a creamy mouthfeel that really comes out with the olive oil drenched fish I had with it. Sitting 50m from the Adriatic, Split Croatia. I do hate my job!

IMG_0039.jpg

2014 Columbia Crest Horse Heaven Hills Reserve Chardonnay. Just got this about ten days ago as part of my reserve club shipment. Was a little upset to have a white wine, but variety is the spice of life, right? This is very nice, although not my style of Chard (I lean toward crisp, clean with just a kiss of oak). Very interesting in that I think it offers the best of both worlds though. There is a crisp fruitiness that you get from an unoaked Chardonnay. At the same time, it is very rich and full bodied, without being 'chateau de home depot'. Green apple and pineapple, countered by a rich caramel and almost buttered popcorn essence. Pretty complex, definitely interesting and enjoyable.

@ibglowin and @dcbrown73 I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.

EDIT: This is a big-*** wine. At 15.8% ABV, it is a heavyweight.

Last edited:
I'm not a sweet wine drinker, I prefer dry reds, but this is a nice wine for those that like a sweet aromatic spicy white. I was at the winery Morris Vineyard back in 2015 and bought a few different bottles, just got around to drinking this one.

Morris Vinyard.jpg

Driveway.jpg

Last edited:
After my afternoon beer fest, dove into a Cellar Classic WS Super Tuscan that Boatboy Jim gave me when me, Jim and jg Jim met up at Harford a week or so ago. Really nice wine, great oak, nice cherries, did I say nice oak? Had enough alcohol to make it a sippin' wine, good for reading my current wine book. Then diverged to a 2013 Kendall-Jackson Zin, since I did make a Zin this fall, very nice but no where near the oak that Boatboy's ST had, for sure!

2011 Avennia Arnaut Syrah. Richard Boushey (the vineyard owner) is so famous in WA that they even put his name/vineyard on the bottle. Awesome bottle of wine from a very tough year.

IMG_1696.jpg

15.8% ABV, are you sure your reading that right! :sh

I had them hold mine as it was too hot once again along the shipping route.

That will be the last white wine for a while. Time for the heavy reds for the next few shipments.

2014 Columbia Crest Horse Heaven Hills Reserve Chardonnay. Just got this about ten days ago as part of my reserve club shipment. Was a little upset to have a white wine, but variety is the spice of life, right? This is very nice, although not my style of Chard (I lean toward crisp, clean with just a kiss of oak). Very interesting in that I think it offers the best of both worlds though. There is a crisp fruitiness that you get from an unoaked Chardonnay. At the same time, it is very rich and full bodied, without being 'chateau de home depot'. Green apple and pineapple, countered by a rich caramel and almost buttered popcorn essence. Pretty complex, definitely interesting and enjoyable.

15.8% ABV, are you sure your reading that right! :sh

I had them hold mine as it was too hot once again along the shipping route.

That will be the last white wine for a while. Time for the heavy reds for the next few shipments.

It was 15.0%. The old eyes... :h

I have a bottle in my wine fridge, but I haven't yet tried it yet.

By reading what you wrote, I do recommend you try a Decoy Sauvignon Blanc. Very nice and crisp, but it tastes as if they mixed in a small bit of an oak chardonnay that gives it a more depth, silkiness, body (than a standard Sauv/blanc), and light buttery flavors without over doing it.

Once I try the Chardonnay, I will post my thoughts here. Maybe tonight.

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByWine Making1475601425.718867.jpg
Segal's Unfiltered Cabernet 2007 (for all of you who cant read hebrew :D) My brother bought this for me. We opened it over the holiday. I dont know how much he paid, but it was worth it.
Smooth finish, tasted great. I finished it tonight after it was opened on Sunday night. Taste was a bit a muted but still amazing. Absolutely love this bottle. Shame he didnt buy me more. But I have a 2010 and a 2011. Gonna wait on those a bit.

@Boatboy24,

Here are my notes and thoughs.

Light golden straw in color. Light and crisp scents of citrus and dried fruit. Voracious honeydew accented with lemon and slight hints of lime buried in the late balanced acidity. Medium bodied with smooth texture and very nice finish.

While I generally lean towards oaked Chardonnay, I do not like them heavily oaked. This is a very good unoaked Chardonnay. One I'm very happy with.

m7jSXU-JEvZh3GLa7jHfq0bhNMvGUsR_a490YPyKb8dy8ksIw-GfB26tDKZLcJ6OZ5z5G3Qi8H9lwHU2hqYEYmALRJTHj4dP1rThknx-JiNRfCuqE8MBVu0A0vn5BCcxt_1KBOY2VjXh7xcUGwUiVl8TC8SilA47lVBoFmMP-VuLSseu5LgiHRqo4yyK9EDsxpVf9KoNAWsKPmPNpdlRnjI_KoQaycWf8WsAVf4XvPkPQH-tV7brRNDnQ0US4oUFWjNCoCwb_XWygXNMZEg-b244p7TeTUPbUszT4W6r-gLWo7D5xIjO07isqhjkFhr9stp0Tl_02u7JLe0AZpKlzBKHRZ20YE4UvWw9r7ljD4GGg1SKSlop1S_XdEKfBE1elLEldgH1nK0cqOoXPCMyn6FynzZ4rr7CqJuoIw1g6zjQkTG4zoIUC-PTtUO6sq0-6ZYqjQkwcHYwf9tns5Ku6KOo_pqMjyMY8xOZEXAAIGDenaEPWgglfzHCNTg9gl024gEaDkYTTggLDmMYfFEJPfVLf4NEU3YR801qkQK6UP28cSlrVzFikKcid0CZUSCqWSCfuqqoxjjzF4edC-9805cP3pBEnmNpAywcrPQWFcIiJ5AAeA=w735-h979-no

I had a couple of Tempranillos lately, both under $10 but great quality. Here are my notes:
29816762730_8da940678d_z.jpg

30016701262_64a35eb389_c.jpg

9/28/16
2007 Vinedos Real Rubio Reserva
Nice oak vanila nose, sweet tanin fully integrated, long umami

10/3/16
2011 Finca Sobreno Crianza TORO
sulpher vanilla nose, slight H2S, dark murky
Tan+, Acid+, umami, sweet tanin, more taning resolution on the way in years.

Just to prove I actually do drink my own wine......

Opened a bottle of my 2012 El Peso Pesado (The Heavyweight) tonight after somebody texted me that they would like to buy a case of this...... LOL Guess it has finally come around. It still needs 30 mins of air time to open and become approachable. The product of extra tannins as well as a heavy hand on the press. (I am trying to work on that!) This is mostly Cab Sauv with a little Syrah and Zin on the side. Yep I think this is good to go..... :)

IMG_1715.jpg

Latest posts

Back