What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With a clown scare at my wife's school rumors galore Jr high kids making stuff up. I knew she would be stressed so I splurged on he fav chamampange Veuve Clicquot. She was happy and happy to be home tonight

With a clown scare at my wife's school rumors galore Jr high kids making stuff up. I knew she would be stressed so I splurged on he fav chamampange Veuve Clicquot. She was happy and happy to be home tonight

This clown **** is getting old. My kids' school was locked down the other night (about ten minutes after our Cub Scout meeting finished). There was a class going on and one of the people in it received a text stating there was a clown outside the school with a gun. :m

Tonight (and last night) it was all about beer. I have poured beer at the Great American Beer Festival for 15 plus years. It is one for you one (or more) for me all night long. In total, 3800+ beers available to sample. We worked the island with California breweries this year and WOW! Outstanding beers. One of the most memorable was the Cucumberbatch. A kolsch with a cucumber added for aging. Great lawn mowing beer. Beyond that, too many other good beers to remember.

Last edited:
2015 petite sirah. Very dark very tannic. Pulled this glass from the barrel it has been in for two months. Needs a few more in the barrel and then maybe 2 years in the bottle. Blueberry, very little oak, so hard to discern flavores with the gripping tannins. Very promising though. ImageUploadedByWine Making1476231208.059531.jpg

2015 petite sirah. Very dark very tannic. Pulled this glass from the barrel it has been in for two months. Needs a few more in the barrel and then maybe 2 years in the bottle. Blueberry, very little oak, so hard to discern flavores with the gripping tannins. Very promising though.

That is a nice dark wine. Is it a neutral barrel you have it in, or is the PS taking it's time expressing the oak it has soaked up?

2015 petite sirah. Very dark very tannic. Pulled this glass from the barrel it has been in for two months. Needs a few more in the barrel and then maybe 2 years in the bottle. Blueberry, very little oak, so hard to discern flavores with the gripping tannins. Very promising though. View attachment 31955

PS can be that way. Nice color. i find the tannins in PS mellow over time, but I usually end up blending most of it.

My last bottle of 2011 Outcast Grenache.

My notes from when I first took notes from this wine back in March.

Substantially lighter in color than I expected. A beautiful light ruby red medium bodied wine. It seems much lighter than it's full bodied 14.5% alcohol content. On the nose; scents of cranberry and raspberry show up. On the palette, the cranberry is still present along with pear, pomegranate, and traces of almonds.

I would say that is still a pretty close representation of what I taste today.

IMG_20160314_200113.jpg

This clown **** is getting old. My kids' school was locked down the other night (about ten minutes after our Cub Scout meeting finished). There was a class going on and one of the people in it received a text stating there was a clown outside the school with a gun. :m

Nahh, I was there, but I didn't have a gun. :h

PS can be that way. Nice color. i find the tannins in PS mellow over time, but I usually end up blending most of it.

I blend mine, but definitely save some to have on its own. Patience will be rewarded with this wine in about 3 years.

By chance would you know the grapes? Like you I lean towards the dry but have matured :)h) to appreciate some of the local sweeter varietals also.

@Wisconsin the Mountain Mist is primarily Catawba grapes, not sure if anything else is in the blend.

What do you blend you PS with johnny99?

When blending I use it like a spice in cooking. It adds structure, color and tannins. I tend to add it to cabs, Syrah, and merlots, or blends of those. It is usually the last one I work in, 5-10% or so. For some reason I haven't figured out, it doesn't seem to work with my Malbec. More research in that area, year by year, taste by taste.

When blending I use it like a spice in cooking. It adds structure, color and tannins. I tend to add it to cabs, Syrah, and merlots, or blends of those. It is usually the last one I work in, 5-10% or so. For some reason I haven't figured out, it doesn't seem to work with my Malbec. More research in that area, year by year, taste by taste.

Try Petite Verdot with the Malbec. I know it goes well with Carmenere.

Back