What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a good place to ask the question. My daughter got me a “smoke box” for Christmas - it’s a steel box for use on grills for smoking meats.

View attachment 52825

Anyone have/use one? Have a recipe or two to share?
For some reason I can't view your attachment. No, I don't have one but use a foil pack filled with wood chips and few small fork holes in it on the side over one of the burners. If you are creative enough you can smoke about anything on it, but on a grill you are not necessarily smoking the meat but smoke cooking it (ie. applying smoke while cooking the meat to a specific temperature). To truly smoke the meat you need to keep the temperature low (I think they define cold smoking as maintaining a temp below 90*F). I think I've seen recipes for Lebanon bologna where they smoke it for four to seven days at 70*F in a smoke house, in Lebanon of course.

The kids favorite is for me to sear a pork butt on the grill with a lot of smoke. Cool overnight and let it hang in the crock pot all day for pulled pork sandwiches that evening. It's cheating (and more fun to cook the butt all day on the offset cooker) but it works and you can definitely taste a smoke note in the pork.

This is a good place to ask the question. My daughter got me a “smoke box” for Christmas - it’s a steel box for use on grills for smoking meats.

Anyone have/use one? Have a recipe or two to share?

Can't see the attachment either, but I've used similar things (or foil packets, like Craig) on the gasser. Like wine, it's all about personal preference. I say start small, then bump up as needed. I tend to like fruit woods more than hickory and also use oak (or spent cubes from a carboy) or pecan. If doing chicken or fish, go very lightly at first. It's easy to overwhelm them. But even on the chicken I did last night, I threw some spent oak cubes right on the charcoal.

Not sure why the pic won't show. If you search Grillaholics Smoker Box, you'll see what it is. Sturdy little piece of equipment. I have a friend who lives close by and is way deep into smoking meets. So, there's an opportunity to do a little experimenting.

Not sure why the pic won't show. If you search Grillaholics Smoker Box, you'll see what it is. Sturdy little piece of equipment. I have a friend who lives close by and is way deep into smoking meets. So, there's an opportunity to do a little experimenting.
Take a bottle or a case of beer when next time he smokes some meat. Will move you way up the learning curve (sort of like watching a brewer or winemaker make a batch, lot's of opportunities to ask "why did you do that?").

We have been visiting family in Paraguay for the last month. Breakfast is typically sausages made from the sheep on their farm. Lunch is the main meal and is something like a leg of lamb, steaks, or some other BBQ meat. Dinner is often a smaller affair, unless you wait until 7:30-8pm, then it's another BBQ.
Some photos of some of our meals...

1-Leg of lamb
2-smoked wild boar (smoked using cow manure on charcoal)
3-beef
4-beef
5-might be dinner tomorrow
I could upload another dozen. All delicious, but my jaw hurt after the first week, so much chewing ;)

Attachments

• 20190109_114120.jpg
    20190109_114120.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 26
  • 20190108_181252.jpg
    20190108_181252.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 28
  • 20190105_190808.jpg
    20190105_190808.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 26
  • 20181225_182302.jpg
    20181225_182302.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 27
  • 20181218_085541.jpg
    20181218_085541.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 23
Hit the easy button. Charcoal cooked netted pork loin (added pecan chips). I can hear better half dicing some veges for a salad and I'll be soon making a batch of hash brown potatoes. Listening to the Colts/Chiefs, didn't take very long for the Chiefs to score, yikes.

DSC07435.JPG

Latest posts

Back