What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have to remember that for meat to stay frozen for more than say a month you need to have a vacuum sealer and freezer bags. Otherwise you may have freezer burn set in. Don't go too crazy!

This sale at $9.99 for prime isn’t something you would stock up, is it?

My budget is actually very low now, so came up with only 5lbs pack, 4 thick pieces, they must be 1 1/2 inches maybe [emoji848]
The Choice I saw wasn’t bad at all and felt tempted to pick that instead at $7.49/lb.

Why not?

eotw.jpg

My wife made waffles for the oldest this morning with candied apples as a topping. House smelled really good when I got home from breakfast (men's group from church). Only thing missing was the smell of some really good German sausages... I'm searching for authentic recipes on the web tonight.

I use this:
https://www.fiestaspices.com/product/venison-sausage-mix/

They used to call it German Sausage seasoning then changed the name but the ingredients are the same. Good stuff.

I have also used this from Clifco:

http://clifcospicesales.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=12

Almost identical in flavor but the Fiesta has a bit more course ground black pepper.

Lots of Germans settled in TX back in the 1800's.

Only thing missing was the smell of some really good German sausages... I'm searching for authentic recipes on the web tonight.

Lots of Germans settled in TX back in the 1800's.
I know, that's why I let that reference dangling out there. I figured I'd catch a recipe from you if I was patient (I almost IM'ed you).

Sure there isn't a secret recipe from your families business circa the 1920's you want to share?? (I think I remember you posting a picture of your grandfathers saloon, that became an ice cream parlor during prohibition).

Thanks for the information! I need to get busy procuring raw ingredients.

Craig, the antipasto was for 4 of us, and it was GOOD..!!
Then I had that salmon, delicious [emoji39]
I'm making a curried salmon dish my oldest daughter covets tomorrow for dinner. Your version looked pretty good (as well as the antipasto plate). Thanks for sharing and making me hungry right before bed time. The beer I'm drinking just isn't bringing enough carbs to the plate.

Couple lbs of the NY strip from yesterday. They were too thick for our tasting so cut them in half, now around 3/4 to 1” thick.

The new cast iron pan is tempting but too much smoke so this is going on the Weber grill outside.

View attachment 52699

Poached some salmon with a curry and wine coating on the grill (in a lasagna pan with some added white wine, covered in foil) per my oldest daughters request (she had it for her b-day in October). Served on brown rice with broccoli steamed with some ginger. Wifey doesn't like salmon so grilled a chicken breast with the same seasoning. Very satisfying and I can feel the weight dropping off my large body as I type this, very healthy (way too healthy for me).

Delayed posting this until I was sure that Kirk Coupons would complete his choke against Chicago's 2nd team defense to allow the Eagles the last playoff spot in the NFC.

12-30-18_salmon.jpg

Couple lbs of the NY strip from yesterday. They were too thick for our tasting so cut them in half, now around 3/4 to 1” thick.

The new cast iron pan is tempting but too much smoke so this is going on the Weber grill outside.

View attachment 52699

I got them as well and also cut them in half. $6.99/lb for NY strip was a good deal. Also got nice porterhouse for $9.99/lb. First time using my food saver on meat. All I used it for prior was packaging my 1000 corks in 50 count bags.

I got them as well and also cut them in half. $6.99/lb for NY strip was a good deal. Also got nice porterhouse for $9.99/lb. First time using my food saver on meat. All I used it for prior was packaging my 1000 corks in 50 count bags.

$6.99/lb for prime? Sounds like Choice?

Just getting my NYE cook going, my daughter and hr boyfriend are joining wifey and I for dinner tonite. Fare for the evening will be an avacado salad, pecan wood smoked 4 bone prime standing rib roast (smoked on the Primo at 325F after a 500F sear), served medium rare with horseradish sauce, green beans cooked down with bacon, onions, and garlic, and creamed spinach. Got some assorted cheesecake desserts as well as creme brûlée, and key lime tart. Now I’m off to the wine room to pick a giant Cab to go along with dinner, think I might have a few to select from.......
4D2B3967-C9DA-4368-B542-31556FA22847.jpeg 31795A39-9103-42E4-A33D-2AF5CC8DFA54.jpeg CB323128-9DE9-47D6-8FA0-D5BD4E23858F.jpeg

Off the grill now, tented and sitting at 120F, chow down in 45 minutes!!

4218563F-8EF8-4E6D-9537-06B433AC2053.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back