What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your pushing the easy button with that then I have no idea what button I am pushing tonight. Is there a double easy button by chance? LOL

Football night in America!

You had me at Brisket....... You had me at Brisket........

fullsizeoutput_3d27.jpeg

Mike: I like the sounds of those dogs, though I wonder how much brisket is actually in them.

On a similar note, I've been wanting to get a meat grinder for a while in order to make my own ground beef. Really want to do some burgers with brisket and short ribs.

The tortilla soup is rolling and the house smells amazing. Temped the butt about 20 minutes and it was still only at 168. May be having PP for breakfast. Oh well. The wife won't eat it anyway, which is one reason I'm making the soup. The other is that it'd be a backup if things didn't go according to plan.

$3.99 on sale so I thought I had to give them a try. You can see the first ingredient is generic "beef" and the 3rd ingredient (after water no less) is what everyone is interested in probably. Only 5 (large) dogs so I guess have a couple left over buns now.......

fullsizeoutput_3d28.jpeg

Mike: I like the sounds of those dogs, though I wonder how much brisket is actually in them.

By now you have enough smoke on that butt that if the weather turns to shat you can bring it in and finish it off in the oven easily.

You think the house smells good now? Bring that Butt in and finish it off in the oven......

Mrs BB won't eat Pulled Pork? :?

Temped the butt about 20 minutes and it was still only at 168. May be having PP for breakfast. Oh well. The wife won't eat it anyway, which is one reason I'm making the soup. The other is that it'd be a backup if things didn't go according to plan.

You think the house smells good now? Bring that Butt in and finish it off in the oven......

Mrs BB won't eat Pulled Pork? :?

Other than bacon, Mrs BB doesn't touch pork. :(

I've brought ribs in to finish in the oven, and you're right, the whole house smelled like the inside of the smoker. :D

Until you pull the trigger on a grinder the meat mongers at Wegman's should be happy to grind whatever you want them to. Just pick the meat from the counter and ring the bell, tell em what you want and they should grind it and repack it with the original price tags. I did that at my local Smith's with a nice chuck roast (taste like brisket) and some boneless short ribs while back.

On a similar note, I've been wanting to get a meat grinder for a while in order to make my own ground beef. Really want to do some burgers with brisket and short ribs.

Pork, the other white meat...pulled it at 143*F and rested for 20 minutes. Very moist, though I wish I had brined it. Coated with garlic and rosemary and smoked with some pecan chips.

1-12-18_pork_roast-2.jpg

In other news, I just heard my wife ranting and something about no internet for 3 months, kinda wonder what the kids did, but it's safe down here in my basement den. At some point I need to go up and stuff a few natural casings with mixed kielbasa meat so I can smoke them tomorrow while listening to the first playoff game...

Until you pull the trigger on a grinder the meat mongers at Wegman's should be happy to grind whatever you want them to. Just pick the meat from the counter and ring the bell, tell em what you want and they should grind it and repack it with the original price tags. I did that at my local Smith's with a nice chuck roast (taste like brisket) and some boneless short ribs while back.

Interestingly, I asked them if they did that about two weeks ago. Their answer was 'no, not on demand'. I didn't bother to ask if I could schedule it.

It would have been fun to watch them dance a little side step if you did try and make an "appointment" to have your meat ground.....

It appears Wegman's is a non-union shop like Walmart. Kroger (Smith's) is union still. You would think that a union shop might care less about customer service but my experience here in my small town they are always more than happy to grind something or cut something to order. They actually smile when asked (like it breaks up their day) and at Xmas when I had them cut me a standing rib roast to order. They now have a special sticker (see pic) that they put on anything specially prepared that says "Expertly prepared and trimmed by:" and then they sign it by hand. I always do the online feedback and give the meat market a "highly satisfied" ranking and mention by name who helped me. Then they usually promote that guy up to the giant Smith's "Marketplace" (up in town and 9 miles away) and I never see them again..... LOL

IMG_3855.JPG

Interestingly, I asked them if they did that about two weeks ago. Their answer was 'no, not on demand'. I didn't bother to ask if I could schedule it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back