What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dreams: Some smokin' Saints Kielbasa, made from the emulsified paste of what's left over from the ground pile of meat that was once Drew Brees.
Reality: I just hope it's a good game and that Nick (BDN) Foles got some good voodoo lessons from a Yoda like old woman on Bourbon Street.

1-13-19_kielbasa-smokin.jpg

Slow smoking with a little apple wood (WSM riding at 102*F, internal temp of sausage 57*F). Will eventually elevate the sausage to 155*F and cold shock before freezing. This is a 95% pork Kielbasa.

Stuffed the small batch (1 lb of forcemeat) of hot dogs today and put on the WSM to slow smoke cook to 150*F. Two hours into the process and the dogs are at 127*F and the smoker is hanging around 185*F. Took the first hour for the smoker to reach 110*F, so I got some nice smoke on them there dogs before they started heating up a bit. Using pecan wood and an all beef dog. Plan on removing the casings after I cool and bloom the dogs (once they hit 150*F for five minutes). Probably have to set an alarm to wake up later tonight/tomorrow morning to package them up and put them in the fridge.

Also made up a loaf of sour dough bread (with some added yeast help since I was in a hurry). I hate just throwing away half my starter culture when I feed it, so threw it in the mixer and just started adding ingredients. Turned into a nice giant loaf which made the kitchen smell pretty good. Was fighting with the dinner kielbasa aroma (kielbasa won since it's smoked) until we put the dinner leftovers away, now I can smell it down here in the dungeon.

1-15-19_hot-dogs.jpg

1-15-19_bread.jpg

Edit: Need to back off the pecan smoke a bit on those dogs. Had one for my breakfast. Have a feeling I will be reminded all morning what I ate for breakfast, those are strong little doggers.

Last edited:
Seasoned up some BSB's and fired 'em up in the CI skillet. Removed the chicken and threw on some butter, mushrooms, onion and garlic. Then added some Viognier and a little chicken stock to get all the goodness off the pan. After a few minutes of reducing, added some half and half and thyme and threw the chicken back in. A little pasta and salad to go with it.

IMG_9691.JPG IMG_9692.JPG

You had 90% of Chicken Marsala right there until.......

Seasoned up some BSB's and fired 'em up in the CI skillet. Removed the chicken and threw on some butter, mushrooms, onion and garlic. Then added some Viognier and a little chicken stock to get all the goodness off the pan. After a few minutes of reducing, added some half and half and thyme and threw the chicken back in. A little pasta and salad to go with it.

Got some charcoal and beer today in case this storm gets a bit nasty. I think we're gonna get plenty of rain to hold down the totals, if the track they are forecasting holds true. Had to try out some of the charcoal to make sure it was a good batch, got some chicken wings in the works (also had to test a beer or two for the same reason).

1-17-19_wings.jpg

Latest posts

Back