What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No disappointment here for sure!!! Way too much food, leftovers for days, and everybody’s stuffed. If I had any room, one of those bones would have been my next move. Paired with a 2013 Cab from Castello di Amorosa, Morisoli Borges Vineyard, a truly luscious wine, big and bold, very lively with a long finish, sweet tannins and perfect oakiness. Dessert will have to wait for a while.....
3A10A938-A3DD-42F5-951D-968298842042.jpeg 330696ED-FBA4-4C14-A106-E037768DE33F.jpeg

More like, what's for lunch. Wifey got me a new mixer for Christmas, so I decided I needed a new hobby, sausage making. Now, if I get serious about this I need to buy a good dedicated meat grinder and a piston like stuffer, but for small 2 lbs batches, the Kitchen Aid attachments work just fine. The collagen cases, not so sure about. Got them because I couldn't make it to my local butcher before they closed at 1 pm yesterday, and I wanted to play with my food last night and today. They are a little unforgiving when trying to make smaller Bratwurst type sausages. I blew a few out turning them because with the thicker and stronger casings, it's easy to over stuff them. Still turned those into nice breakfast sausages anyway. Did a a few up for lunch, they taste incredible and have a nice fine texture, even though they went through the grinding plate only once. Next project is a 50/50 beef/venison sausage (will try @ibglowin's recipe he shared), once I convince my younger brother to part with some of his venison. Oh, these sausages were 100% pork, 2 lbs boneless rib meat, 1/3 lb fat back.

Served with a icy cold beer, of course.

1-1-19_brats-1.jpg

1-1-19_brats-2.jpg

FYI, was 60*F on the front porch when I was cooking these, nice to be out wearing a sweatshirt with the sleeves pulled up, especially in January.

Last edited:
Varis, that's cheating...

Wifey always wants some sort of pork and sauerkraut on New Years day (family tradition, I think), so I tried to make a pork loin that didn't lend itself to sauerkraut just to frustrate her a bit. Didn't work. This one was basically cut in half, folded open, brined, then dried off and had a basil pesto added in the middle sort of like a sandwich. Tied it up and grilled it (using a foil lasagna type pan to shield it so it would cook more evenly). Served with almond green beens, cheesy au gratin potatoes, sauerkraut and some steamed asparagus.

1-1-19_dinner-0.jpg

1-1-19_dinner-1.jpg

1-1-19_dinner-2.jpg

Going simple tonight, 1 3/4 inch pork chops on charcoal (and pecan wood). Tomorrow may have to cut up the prime NY strip roast I got a couple of days ago. Ran into my youngest brother at the local Giant the other day, and he noticed that they were actually priced less than the choice chunks 'o beef. At $5.77 a pound, even me the miser couldn't resist buying one (my brother bought 4, I think). Will cook on charcoal for sure, not too sure what sides I'm going to make. Need to cook during the Eagles/Bears game, so I'm sure I'll do a better job if they are winning. Maybe I'll hold off if they are getting blown out (which many expect they will).

1-5-19_beef-1.jpg

1-5-19_beef-2.jpg

Going simple tonight, 1 3/4 inch pork chops on charcoal (and pecan wood). Tomorrow may have to cut up the prime NY strip roast I got a couple of days ago. Ran into my youngest brother at the local Giant the other day, and he noticed that they were actually priced less than the choice chunks 'o beef. At $5.77 a pound, even me the miser couldn't resist buying one (my brother bought 4, I think). Will cook on charcoal for sure, not too sure what sides I'm going to make. Need to cook during the Eagles/Bears game, so I'm sure I'll do a better job if they are winning. Maybe I'll hold off if they are getting blown out (which many expect they will).

View attachment 52768

View attachment 52769

Hmm. Haven't been to Giant in a while. Maybe I should head over there today. Love Wegmans, but their beef prices are a bit ridiculous and its never on sale.

Modified a store bought Peruvian style paste/marinade last night and threw a whole bird into it for a soak. Onto the Performer tonight, where cold temps and high winds kept the temp from getting above about 280 after the first 15 minutes. I gave it 40 minutes over the charcoal for some flavor, then finished in the oven. Spanish rice and a basic salad with a roasted red pepper vinaigrette to accompany.
fullsizeoutput_6e3.jpeg

I feel your pain. I left the WSM just outside the garage door in what is normally a pretty protected area and found it blown over this morning when I went out to start the car up for work. Was going to do burgers and dogs tonight, guess I'll have to implement plan "B" now, after I decide what that is...

Latest posts

Back