What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Craig,
How long and what temp do you smoke the ribs for?

Steve

Steve, usually 250*F to 300*F for four hours. When I do them in the oven, 200*F max. Today the day started out great, but the wind picked up and I had to close two of the bottom louvers on the Weber bullet to keep the temp down. At one point I hit 425*F which is way too high and will dry the ribs out, even with all that fat. Then the clouds rolled in and the temp dropped 10 deg, so I moved them to foil on the grill. Stilled turned out really good, kids ate them and never added any bbq sauce, the Powder Puff ribs rub was enough (primarily celery seed/black pepper/paprika/kosher salt). Also added some apple juice to the foil wraps when I moved them to the grill.

Edit: added image of left overs - will probably be my din-din tomorrow evening since my family is abandoning me.

10-23-15_ribs-lefovers.jpg

Last edited:
Craig,
Cool thanks I have not done ribs as much as I have brisket.
Steve

Steve, usually 250*F to 300*F for four hours.

They can take that much heat? I am going to smoke three full racks of baby backs tomorrow for us and some friends. I had been planning to try to keep the temperatures down to 200*F or so. It would be easier on me if I can go as high as your numbers. So I am glad I read this post, as long as you are sure?

Thanks!

They can take that much heat? I am going to smoke three full racks of baby backs tomorrow for us and some friends. I had been planning to try to keep the temperatures down to 200*F or so. It would be easier on me if I can go as high as your numbers. So I am glad I read this post, as long as you are sure?

Thanks!

I've done ribs as high as 350. The lower temps allow more time for connective tissue to break down, but they still come out pretty good.

Thanks!

If you can keep them at 200 to 225*F that is great, like Jim said they can go higher. The wind picked up as the cooking progressed, so I was battling it spiking when I opened all three vents to get it going, and a quick loss of heat when I closed up two or more of the vents to cool it down.

I think the meat was a little dryer than usual but still enjoyable.

I'm trying to convince Manthing we need to attempt a Wellington tonight. I'm not sure if we should go with beef or salmon. But I think the wine will most definitely be the Oregon Pinot Noir we made.

My family abandoned me today (not too upset) so I decided to grill something I haven't had for a while. Tuna, the other white meat.

Will have plenty of leftovers for lunches if my oldest son doesn't find it. Leftovers already packaged and hidden in the lower back of the refrigerator.

10-25-15_tuna.jpg

If you can keep them at 200 to 225*F that is great, like Jim said they can go higher.

I wound up cooking them in foil for 2 hours in the smoker using propane at 220 or so. Then I took the foil off and lit the charcoal. They spent another 2 hours +/- in this condition at about 250-300.

They were pretty good, but I was surprised that they were not particularly tender. Tender enough, but they were NOT falling off the bone. The neighbors raved and raved, but they may have been being polite. (The flavor was pretty good!)

I wound up cooking them in foil for 2 hours in the smoker using propane at 220 or so. Then I took the foil off and lit the charcoal. They spent another 2 hours +/- in this condition at about 250-300.

They were pretty good, but I was surprised that they were not particularly tender. Tender enough, but they were NOT falling off the bone. The neighbors raved and raved, but they may have been being polite. (The flavor was pretty good!)

I think like Jim said in an earlier post, low and slow allows for more of the connective tissue to break down. Don't tell any smoking purists but mine are actually more fall apart tender when I do them in foil in the oven at 225*F with a braising liquid, ala Alton Brown.

I took the niece apple picking. I have not really ever spent time with this niece and I am happy to say it was time well spent.

The gold was to make pies. Not having a clear idea on just how many apples go into a pie, we picked about 2 grocery bags full.

Yea, I know what you are thinking... Way, Way too much!

I ended up making 5 pies so far and have only processed about half of the apples... Here is a picture of two of them (before baking)...

Here is the recipe if you guys want to review and make suggested improvements..

2 rolls of pre made crust (top of pie and bottom of pie). they are cheap and save a lot of time.

7.5 cups of apples (peeled and cut into nice size chunks). Add a dash of lemon juice to prevent apples from turning brown

1.5 tblsp corn starch
1 cup of sugar
good shots of cinnamon and nutmeg
filling was stirred in a bowl, then added to pie.

bake at 400 for 1 hour.

cover pie with clean tea towel to keep the crust from drying out.

cool and either freeze or eat..

IMG_20151025_160231_923.jpg

Last edited:
Opening day I got my buck. Lots of work butchering and wrapping the Venison. Tonight I reminded myself why its worth it. Thinly sliced floured backstrap lightly fried in olive oil, served alongside mushroom fried rice, steamed veggies, and my SF Sourdough bread. Life is good!!! :D

I think like Jim said in an earlier post, low and slow allows for more of the connective tissue to break down. Don't tell any smoking purists but mine are actually more fall apart tender when I do them in foil in the oven at 225*F with a braising liquid, ala Alton Brown.

Craig, I like to smoke but I have ribs down so perfect. I will not even try them in my smoker. I cannot believe what people are smoking; hard eggs, cheescake, other deserts, cheese and other odd things. I had to try meatloaf after seeing so many people doing it. It was ok but no way as good as in the oven. I did a prime rib a few weeks ago in the smoker that was to die for. Also did brisket that was awesome. Thinking about getting some pork bellies and trying my hand at some bacon.

When I had my restaurant we would slow cook ribs in oven with a basic rub then covered in Coca Cola covered with Saran Wrap. Then a brief time on grill with bbq sauce to finish. One of our most popular dish.

Steve

Craig, I like to smoke but I have ribs down so perfect. I will not even try them in my smoker. I cannot believe what people are smoking; hard eggs, cheescake, other deserts, cheese and other odd things. I had to try meatloaf after seeing so many people doing it. It was ok but no way as good as in the oven. I did a prime rib a few weeks ago in the smoker that was to die for. Also did brisket that was awesome. Thinking about getting some pork bellies and trying my hand at some bacon.

Dan,

I strongly recommend home made bacon. It's simple and the results are just awesome. That reminds me, I'm overdue for some. Now that temps are cooling off, it may be time.

Back