What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made some cheesesteaks, using steakums, caramelized onions and some mushrooms. I had no morels when I made these, lot's of yummy beef fat and cheese. Used pepper jack cheese for my daughters and cheap processed american cheese for the others (all out of cheez wiz). Added some grilled jalapenos to mine. Served on some nice fluffy Terranettis sub rolls. Topped it off with several glasses of Porter (for me, not the kids, they can make their own).

ImageUploadedByWine Making1446597301.854499.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1446597316.575640.jpg
Restaurant week girlfriend had lamb chops. (Off the charts!)
I had wild mushroom lasagna ( JohnT had mushrooms on my brain!)
The wine was a Sangiovese:Cab blend nice oak cigar notes.

Steve

That mushroom lasagna looks FAN_FREAKIN_TASTIC!!!!

I bet it was buttery, creamy, and full of flavor!

John,
It was absolutely delicious. You said it buttery creamy and the lasagna was housemate gluten free!

Steve

Fixed my signature

I was in Hamilton, Ontario today and ate lunch at a Portuguese Restaurant. The first dish was a steak setting in a very light sauce with a fried egg on it and surrounded with homemade chips. This was followed up with a fish platter with mussels and clams and each one had a shrimp in it. Additionally there was crab legs, fish fillets, more shrimp and I forget what else!

001.jpg

002.jpg

I was in Hamilton, Ontario today and ate lunch at a Portuguese Restaurant. The first dish was a steak setting in a very light sauce with a fried egg on it and surrounded with homemade chips. This was followed up with a fish platter with mussels and clams and each one had a shrimp in it. Additionally there was crab legs, fish fillets, more shrimp and I forget what else!

Dan, that's a big lunch, what did everyone else order?

Fryday. Pizza day. Dad feels better, enuf said. One pizza with alfredo sauce, pepperoni and bacon (oldest daughter), one with red sauce w/same condiments, one stomboi (ham, cotto and hard salami, swiss cheese) and a GF pizza w/bacon. Working on a beer but scanning the wine reserves for my next victim.

11-06-15_alfredo-pizza.jpg

11-06-15_pizza_e_boli.jpg

11-06-15_pizza_GF.jpg

Fryday. Pizza day. Dad feels better, enuf said. One pizza with alfredo sauce, pepperoni and bacon (oldest daughter), one with red sauce w/same condiments, one stomboi (ham, cotto and hard salami, swiss cheese) and a GF pizza w/bacon. Working on a beer but scanning the wine reserves for my next victim.

Omg! So hungry after seeing that!

Waiting for a Friday invite!

I'll bring my own fork, knife, and knapkin around my neck!

Only 3 hours between us. Mi casa es su casa. I'd bet you make a mean crust...plus your sauce is always homemade. FYI: I came inside from doing the lawn for lunch and the stromboi I planned on having for lunch was nowhere to be found. Guess I'll have to make two of those next Friday.

Frijoles De La Olla con Carne (Stewed Pot Beans with Meat)

Pulled out the Insta-Pot for this one, otherwise it would take all day to cook a pot of beans at high altitude. Soaked the beans for about 3 hours. I picked up a nice family pack of boneless country style pork shoulder ribs and cut into nice chunks. Added one onion chopped, one fresh jalepeno chopped, oregano, cumin, coriander, garlic, salt, pepper, one bottle of cerveza of your choice, water. Only took 60 mins in the Insta Pot. The meat was to die for tender, meal in a bowl for sure. :HB

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Made a really great beef stew on Saturday..

Beef, celery, onions, carrots, potatoes, and a TON of canned mushrooms.
Served it over buttered egg noodles. A nice chunk of warm, buttered bread on the side.

Had some 2013 San Gio to go with it.

IMG_20151107_181923_131.jpg

My Nephew/Godson recently left the monastery. No kidding! He was on target to become a priest, but then realized that the life of the cloth was not for him. His order was in Europe and he was stationed first in Hungary, then in Rome.

He came home just a couple of months ago and is going through the hard time of trying to build a different life. I really feel bad for him. He has no job, no career, no friends, and nobody that he is dating. On top of all of this, he is settled with the feeling of failure by leaving the monastery.

I received a text from him on Saturday. He wants to learn how to cook. I asked if he had any specific dish in mind, he said.. "Chicken Parm". No problem! We set a date for this coming Saturday.

I told him that we will not cut corners! Sauce from scratch, Home made Bread, home made pasta, and salad with home made dressing.

I am so excited to do this. The kid needs something to look forward to, and something social. Since he was stationed in Europe, I never really had a chance to hang out with him. It should be a lot of fun!

That's awesome John! Have a great time and what better way but through food and wine.
Steve

I was actually thinking of joining up! We have a monastery in Abiquiu, NM (Georgia O'Keeffe country) about 45 mins away that is cranking out some of the best craft beer(s) in the State. Love their catch phrase.

"Made with Care and Prayer".

In all serious though I hope he finds his way in whatever direction life leads him. He is lucky to have you as an Uncle.

Monks-Ale-4.jpg

... My Nephew/Godson recently left the monastery. No kidding! He was on target to become a priest, but then realized that the life of the cloth was not for him. His order was in Europe and he was stationed first in Hungary, then in Rome.

John, I can relate to that story. My assistant two ears ago was a former Nun that had just left the Convent about four weeks earlier. She was awesome to work with and we still stay in touch on FB. She left about about 6 weeks for a job more in line of what she was looking for. The best part of her life was her hobbies, hunting and fishing!

Went out last night to our local Beer Coop's first ever Beer Dinner. 60 places and it sold out in 60mins after the email blast went out a few weeks ago! First "beer" dinner for me. I didn't think beer would pair as well as wine does with food but by golly it really does. The meal was amazing. Even SWMBO who really doesn't like beer could not believe how well the beer went with the food. She actually liked the beer with the food pairings but not so much any beer all by itself. LOL

Here is the menu from last night.

Menu

First Plate
Coriander dusted scallops, green chile beurre blanc, fried leeks
Wit Rock

Second Plate
Warm lentil salad, cranberry cardamom vinaigrette, frisee of pancetta
Little Bird Blonde Ale

Third Plate
Pumpkin pecorino bisque, caramel crème fraiche, spicy fennel sausage
Green Chile Amber Ale

Fourth Plate