What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's get it rolling. Know ya'll have some fantastic dishes you made tonight, so share and make us all hungry. Or is that Hungary...

I was planning two chicken dishes this weekend. Using the indoor oven helps heat the house since I heard the heat pump turn on early this morning for the first time (went down to 37*F, wifey had some ice on the windshield at 5 am). But I got two 20lb bottles of propane filled ($17, new record low), so I needed to use the grill. Found a "London boil" cut o beef for $3.99 lb so I couldn't resist. London broil, twice baked taters, broccoli, no horse ovaries. Paired it with a Labatts blue (wife studying so water for her).

10-17-15_pre-cooking.jpg

10-17-15_cooking.jpg

10-17-15_post-cooking.jpg

Let's get it rolling. Know ya'll have some fantastic dishes you made tonight, so share and make us all hungry. Or is that Hungary...

I was planning two chicken dishes this weekend. Using the indoor oven helps heat the house since I heard the heat pump turn on early this morning for the first time (went down to 37*F, wifey had some ice on the windshield at 5 am). But I got two 20lb bottles of propane filled ($17, new record low), so I needed to use the grill. Found a "London boil" cut o beef for $3.99 lb so I couldn't resist. London broil, twice baked taters, broccoli, no horse ovaries. Paired it with a Labatts blue (wife studying so water for her).

now that does not seem very hungarian....:ft

I figured you'd see that but not call me to task. Now what could I make tomorrow that involves chicken and be Hungarian? It needs to be kid friendly or they'll kick me out of the kitchen.

Tonight was a special birthday for SWMBO. After a starter course of truffle salami and Comte cheese, the main meal had oven-roasted potato slices with fresh fennel, a salad of roasted beets dressed in a shallot/oil/tarragon/balsamic vinegar mixture, and a rack of lamb with garlic, rosemary, thyme, etc. We washed this down with a Valpolicella Ripasso. Excellent offering all the way around!

Tonight was a special birthday for SWMBO. After a starter course of truffle salami and Comte cheese, the main meal had oven-roasted potato slices with fresh fennel, a salad of roasted beets dressed in a shallot/oil/tarragon/balsamic vinegar mixture, and a rack of lamb with garlic, rosemary, thyme, etc. We washed this down with a Valpolicella Ripasso. Excellent offering all the way around!

Sounds fantastic. You need to start posting some pics of this stuff. ;)

Did some simple grilled salmon tonight with a honey/ginger/soy marinade. Basic salad with a sesame ginger dressing.

IMG_3210.jpg

We had a family get together and grilled some boneless steaks I picked up from Costco. 4 nice steaks were ~$40! They were choice, not prime. Where is JohnT and his truck when I need him! LOL

Anyways they turned out FANTASTIC! Only had my folks old rickety propane grill. Cooked them medium rare to medium. Paired with some of those Main St. Bistro Potatoes au Gratin and a nice Field of Greens salad.

893449_181165902037525_147335555_o.jpg

We paired with them with the 2013 H3 Cabernet Sauvignon. Went well but....... The H3 is not what it used to be. The last two years it is just OK IMHO. It used to OVER deliver on QPR and now, it kinda under delivers with what I/we have come to expect. I used to give it 5 Stars on QPR and now, only about 3 Stars. Production has skyrocketed in the the last several years (162,000 cases in 2012 for the Cabernet) so I suppose something had to give. It just seems like its thin(er) and the finish is not anywhere what it was. Oak is just an afterthought and not something that hits you the moment your nose goes into the glass...... Still not a bad wine, just not the GREAT wine it once was. In comparison the J Bookwalter Notebook 5NV is the same price as the H3 production is only 10,000 cases and it is still a smoking wine for the money. 4.5 Stars on QPR on that one.

Wifey had class tonight, so made up some ground turkey w/taco-like spices this morning so she could whip up some quick quesadillas for the kids before she left the house. She usually just uses the meat and some cheese. I tend to add whatever I can find in the fridge, like leftover refried beans, some con queso cheese. Usually serve with some medium taco sauce for a quick meal. Grilled on the propane grill so I could enjoy the absolutely beautiful evening outside before it got dark.

10-21-15_quesadillas.jpg

Last night was pizza night, but I am watching my food intake (beer and wine are a protected food group), so I just had a piece of pepperoni pizza, sigh. Didn't want a whole grilled pie in the fridge or I'd pick at it all weekend.

But today, I have reason to celebrate. Thursday was oldest daughter's b-day, and today we celebrate (tomorrow they all go to MIL and I stay home (yea)). She didn't know what she wanted for her special meal, so after looking at the weather forecast, I suggested a Weber meal. What a beautiful day!

Pictures of the raw materials, hopefully will add the finished product in about four hours.

Only other known item included for dinner is an ice cream cake...a Type I diabetics dream desert! Lot's o' insulin will be flowing tonight!

10-23-15_raw-ribs-1.jpg

10-23-15_rub-book.jpg

10-23-15_wood.jpg

10-23-15_gitten-started.jpg

10-23-15_raw-ribs-2.jpg

10-23-15_ribs-3.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back