What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim, how quickly you have fallen............. :)

celestepizza.jpg

Date night for the Mrs birthday. I had a cream of crab soup, followed by a pear and arugula salad topped with grilled salmon. Went well with a couple glasses of Columbia Valley Riesling.

I was painting ALL DAMN DAY. When I got completely sick of it, I was surprised to learn that it was already 5:30. Yikes, better get the grill started for the steak -- what else are we going to have, honey?
We wound up with grilled eggplant and tabbouleh, plus the steak. It turned out fabulous. The steak, the details of which I have not revealed yet, was a grass-fed porterhouse. I grilled it on a super-hot charcoal grill for 3 mins one side/2 mins other side, with just Montreal steak seasoning. It came out perfectly rare/med. rare, and the seasoning was delish. This was the first steak we had from a local grass-fed farm, and it was awesome. You could almost cut it with a fork. (I tried: Not quite!) Two big thumbs up!

When you spend the day touring and tasting in the Veneto Valley of course lunch is a Parmigiano bowl filled with Risotto al la Amarone. You can figure out what to wash it down with.

1443082170361.jpg

1443082211772.jpg

It's Fryday, it's pizza night. Had made some fettuccine with portabella mushroom sauce on Wednesday, and every meal since then, including Thursday breakfast featured the pasta. So I needed some protein.

Bought 7 lbs of 80/20 chuck at the local Giant for a meatloaf I plan to make Sunday so I can use the oven to warm the house up. Supposed to be raining and dreary here all weekend.

Grabbed 3/4 lb, cooked down with some red onion, mushroom pieces, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, fresh oregano, basil and some minced garlic. Figured I'd try my hand at a deep dish Chicago type pie. Had made the dough this morning, taken it out when I arrived home and punched down and allowed to reach room temperature. Oiled the pan up with some EVOO and layed the crust in. Added 1 1/2 lbs of "pizza" cheese (mozzarella, smoked provolone, etc), put the beef topping on and covered with some store bought sauce. Added some garlic on top. Put in a 475*F oven with the convection feature turned on and let cook for 30 minutes. House smelled good. Tasted even better. Crust turned out crispy and light and the pie was overall much thinner than I expected. Next time I'll add another 1 lb of cheese and some pepperoni.

9-25-15_pizza.jpg

9-25-15_pizza-2.jpg

That looks awesome, Craig.

We were at a PTA event at the kids' school. They served Pappa John's. :(

Last nights dinner. Found 3 packs of boneless beef short ribs on quick sale as they were one day away from the sell by date. Snagged 3 packs for ~$3 each. Marinated them in Korean BBQ marinade for 24hr and grilled them last night. SWMBO has subscribed to an Organic farm in ABQ that delivers a harvest box each week full of fresh organic veggies so I cooked up a big pan of new potatoes, oinons, bell peppers, garlic. cooked them on the stove top with some coconut oil. That stuff is fantastic to use in a cast iron pan, NOTHING sticks and makes cleanup a breeze.

Turned out great and paired VERY well with a bottle of 2013 Les Trouve's GSM (Avennia). Really a nice paring.

IMG_0712.jpg

IMG_0713.jpg

Back