What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought it was going to rain all day today, but it didn't, yet. Planned on having an "oven" meal verses a "grill" meal. Tried to sway my better half to do the grill meal today and the oven meal tomorrow, but to no avail.

Bought some bulk chuck and made a meatloaf. Normally we make it from part or all ground chicken and turkey, so the reaction to all beef will be interesting. Added spices, onion and some GF bread crumbs, figured I didn't need egg as a binder since there is a decent amount of fat in chuck. Wifey plans on mashed taters and I'm guessing petite green beans. Thought about making a crusty loaf of bread but it just didn't happen.

Will do an Alton Brown trick and add a topping of honey/cumin/ketchup about 1/2 way through cooking, kids always seem to like that.

Edit: added picture of finished product. Had oven door close on my arm, so dealing with a slight burn (we need a bigger kitchen, I give out numbers and they walk in and sit down since we have zero extra room). All I can say is "Honey, I shrunk the meatloaf".

9-27-15_meatloaf.jpg

9-27-15_meatloaf-2.jpg

Last edited:
Chicken Pesto Bake!

Saw this posted on FB. Simple and easy. Chicken breast topped with basil pesto, then sliced tomatoes (from our garden) and then topped with shredded mozzarella. TOTAL YUM! Don't know what was better the meal or the wine. The Tuscan bread for dipping into the sauce may have been the best part......

Opened my first bottle of 2013 Toscana de Roja which has only been bottled for about two months. I could sell this all day long for $20 a bottle..... if I could sell it! LOL I have 24 Gallons of this stuff and it is delicious and perfect! :hug

IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

Last edited:
My sister-in-law is in town, so I made steak au poivre from top sirloin this evening. Turned out really nice, with a brandy flambe and a sauce of pan drippings, beef stock, and heavy cream. Paired with black rice and broccoli, and washed down with my CC Red Mountain Cab.

My sister-in-law is in town, so I made steak au poivre from top sirloin this evening. Turned out really nice, with a brandy flambe and a sauce of pan drippings, beef stock, and heavy cream. Paired with black rice and broccoli, and washed down with my CC Red Mountain Cab.

Black rice is awesome! Steak au poivre is fantastic

Steve

Typos

Last edited:
It's Fryday, it's pizza day, yawn...I can take it when I can grill it, but it's raining, again, and I'm not getting wet to grill a pizza. Plus the oven is warm already and it's cold and rainy outside and I don't turn on the heat in the house until the ambient temp drops to 63*F or lower. So there, the justification for a stromboli! Pizza made by wifey, oven not hot enough, outer crust not crispy and golden brown and delicious.

Eating it with two cheap Cab Sauv's, one is a OB Raspberry Rapture which only had the Cab grapes wade through it for a few minutes, very light in body.

10-2-15_zah.jpg

10-2-15_boli2.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, you guys are dropping the spatula...let's see some works of art for dinner. I want to see some beef.

No work of culinary art today, just a basic "oven" dish to warm up the kitchen. Chicken Divan using a GF cream of chicken soup recipe so Diabetic #2/ Celicac #1 can participate. Green beans on the bottom, grilled chicken with mild cheddar on top. Served with organic long grain rice and some vegetarian boston baked beans for those kids who detest the rice. Cooking in my house is always an adventure. Embrace adventure! It is never boring around here. The fruits of my winemaking enhance the experience (or at least help me tolerate it).

10-3-15_divan.jpg

ImageUploadedByWine Making1443912599.051147.jpg
Can't see it but beneath all of that goodness is pot roast.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1443912680.338367.jpg
On deck is a bottle of Josh.

Steve

How was the Josh? I have a bottle of Josh Merlot I've been meaning to open for a while now.

The Josh Cabernet is one of our favorite wines we have on hand all the time. I haven't tried the Merlot though.

Steve

For Saturday, I made goulash, spaetle, and home made whole wheat bread.

For Sunday, a whole roasted stuffed chicken, mashed potatoes, and gravy.

Sorry, no pics.

Last nights MLB inoculation celebratory dinner. T-Bone. Medium. Did not fall out the back of a truck. Well it actually kinda did. Went in together with our besties on a whole cow a while back and it was brought to the house in the back of a truck! LOL

Served with some pan fried potatoes, onion, bell peppers as well as a cucumber and tomato salad.

IMG_0730.jpg

Latest posts

Back