What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that's a good idea! I have a food network grilling book with pulled pork nachos that I know my wife loves, just have to text her to not make herself a chicken nugget sandwich tonight when she's cooking for the kids. Mmmm nacho cheese, sour cream, maybe some chives and green chilies....

Please share the recipe...

Please share the recipe...

From Get Grilling - Mar 15, 2005 - by Food Network Kitchens and Jennifer Darling, still available on Amazon. $24.95 new. This book is really worth it, lot's of varied recipes including drinks and sides.

BBQ'd Nachos
pg 27 Get Grilling by Food Network Kitchens

1 1/2 cups shredded NC style pulled pork (recipe in book)
2 cups KC style bbq sauce (recipe in book)
12 oz pinto beans
juice of a lime
1 TBS cajun rub
Kosher salt
2 ripe med tomatoes, roughly chopped
(swear at them as you chop them)
2 pickled jalapenos, chopped
1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro, chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
7 ounces favorite tortillas
1/3 cup sour cream, plus more for garnish
12 oz shredded cheddar cheese

-Position broiler rack 6 inches from heat element
-Toss meat w/1 cup bbq sauce
-mash beans and add lime juice and 1/2 cajun rub and salt to taste
-In another bowl toss tomatoes and jalapenos with cilantro, season w/salt & pepper
-Scatter 1/2 of the chips in an ovenproof backing dish (13 x9)
-Scatter meat, beans. 1/3 cup sour cream and 1/2 of the tomato mixture
-cover with remaining chips scatter remaining tomato mixture and bbq sauce
-cover all with cheddar cheese
-broil 7 minutes or until everything melts
-garnish with remaining cilantro and sour cream, serve warm

Tonight I used taco sauce in place of tomatoes and bbq sauce (all out believe it or not) and diced chilies since I was all out of pickled jalapenos.

9-10-15_nachos.jpg

Last edited:
Store bought 'fresh' tortellini. Whipped up some sauce with some San Marzano tomatoes, onion, garlic, fresh basil and parmesan. Did some 'fake' Pepperidge Farm cheesy bread.

IMG_3098.jpg

Had a splendid repast. We started with avocado halves, with my signature pumpkin-seed-oil/lime juice/soy sauce/sriracha dressing. With dinner, I made my first-ever loaf of bread; I used the famous no-knead recipe, and it worked like a charm! Main course was edamame w/ salt and garlic, roasted broccoli with chile and garlic, and lamb rib chops with a mixture of thyme, garlic, Montreal seasoning, and rosemary powder. The lamb turned out fabulous. Washed it all down with a 2013 Cline Zinfandel, which was very fruity and accessible and delicious.

I don't have a photo but I may get one tomorrow. My wife made a great homemade tomato sauce and she cooked a bag of frozen baby lima beans in that. That was pored over pasta shells. Served with chicken italian sausage. really good.

No knead bread? Care to share that with us?

It is football season, so the one thing that came to mind and stayed there was....

images

I purchased a "family pack" of chicken breast. These things were HUGE and ON SALE! a pack of 6 for only $6.50.

I started by making a marinara sauce. While that was simmering, I bisected the chicken breasts, pounded them out, dipped in flour/egg/breadcrumbs, and then pan fried them to perfection. I then placed them on a sheet pan, added my sauce over the top, then a sprinkling of parm cheese, and finally a good and generous amount of mutz. Baked at 350 for 35 min.

In total I ended up with 12 portions that were HUGE, even though I bisected them. My plan was to cook up a bunch and then eat off of that through the week. At least that was the plan...

I got a text from my brother. He was bored and asked what I was up to. Told him that I made chicken parm, and he said "I am on my way". Then my other brother texted and asked the same thing. He ended up bringing my father too. So, in total, I ended up having 4 for dinner.

Once we finished eating, my brother asked for some to take home to my mom and his daughter. I was glad to accommodate..

I know what you are thinking, "All that work and they cleaned me out". I really do not mind. I smile knowing that I fed a large portion of my family. Besides, I ended up with 3 portions in the fridge for this week.

Sorry, but I forgot to take a photo.

I took 4 thighs and 2 boneless, skinless breasts out of the freezer yesterday morning. I had no idea what I would do with them, but wanted to be ready for dinner. As is typical, I don't think that far beyond the protein until it is too late. 5:00 rolls around:
Wife: "what are you going to do with that chicken?"
Boatboy: "Um, I dunno. What are you in the mood for?"
Wife: "Well, I'd like to have some vegetables to go with all that meat."
Boatboy: "Ummmmmm... Hmmm... Uhhhhhhhh..." (not much in the way of interesting veggies around)

I panicked and scrambled through the fridge and pantry. Found some leftover Penne. Starch? Check. Rumbling through the veggie drawer, I found a red bell pepper. Veggie? Check! (but I know my wife, and I can't just throw a red pepper in front of her and have her be amazed). More panic. Quick! Check the pantry! Eureka! A can of artichoke hearts and an organic vinaigrette! Marinated the chicken in the vinaigrette for an hour or so, then grilled it up. While it was resting, I sautéed the pepper in some olive oil and a kiss of garlic. Then added the artichoke hearts and penne. (If I had some white wine open, I would have added a splash of that). Tossed it all up at the finish with a little lemon juice and zest, and some fresh basil and parmesan.

Whew! That was a close one.

Jim, I love that story (and lamentably, my wife and I can relate to male's protein-centric approach to meal planning). The only flaw in your tale is:
(If I had some white wine open, I would have added a splash of that).

If? IF? IF?? Wasn't that a perfect excuse to open one?? :D

Jim, I love that story (and lamentably, my wife and I can relate to male's protein-centric approach to meal planning). The only flaw in your tale is:

If? IF? IF?? Wasn't that a perfect excuse to open one?? :D

I had already opened the bottle of Bogle Phantom I got at Trader Joe's the day before. While it was a good wine (and a fantastic QPR @ $6), it wasn't the best pairing. Perhaps I should have just capped it up and opened something else.

Mrs boatboy's birthday was today. We're having a date night this weekend, but I wanted to make her a nice dinner tonight. I thought for sure she'd ask for chicken and cheese enchiladas (her go-to request). But she surprised me and wanted grilled filet and asparagus. Um, OK. I can do that.

Started by crushing some fresh garlic and making a paste. Then added some Herbs de Provence, olive oil and S&P. Rubbed the steaks down with that.

For me, wrapped some 'gus in provolone and prosciutto. The rest was marinated for SWMBO in some vinaigrette.

Steaks were grilled over lump, I added some wine soaked oak cubes.

Finally, it was all plated up with some penne, sautéd with red peppers and 'choke hearts.

The weekend trip to TJ's also had us coming home with some frozen fish nuggets. So tonight, it was fish tacos. Nuggets with some broccoli slaw (sans dressing), cheese, and a homemade sauce (mayo, lime juice, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin). Mine also got some cilantro and a little Tabasco.

Jim, posting pictures like that is downright sadistic! :)

The weekend trip to TJ's also had us coming home with some frozen fish nuggets. So tonight, it was fish tacos. Nuggets with some broccoli slaw (sans dressing), cheese, and a homemade sauce (mayo, lime juice, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin). Mine also got some cilantro and a little Tabasco.

Thank God no pictures tonight! ;)

Tonight, I made a beet salad (roasted golden beets, shallots, olive oil, and Balsamic vinegar, served at room-temperature) thin-sliced and roasted Delicata squash (with marjoram and coriander), and seared, herb-crusted lamb shoulder chop, washed down by a CC Showcase Zinfandel. As we licked our lips and fingers afterwards, we opined that this was a restaurant-quality meal at a quite reasonable price! :D

Friday, pizza night. Was held up a little because oldest son was training for the job he starts tomorrow. Had to waste time after work (1 1/2 hours) so my wife didn't have to make the trip to pick him up. I would call it kitchen servant from his description. Sure beats McDonalds. He will work the weekends my wife works (same place) and help out in the kitchen and take food plates to residents who can't leave their room. Then will be full time in the summer, by then he will be driving (kind of worried about what). If he does well he will be allowed to cook. Like his Dad he is becoming a very skilled cook. Amazing what he remembers that I have shown him. Just thought it would go in one ear and out the other!

Grilled pizza with garlic, onions and portabella mushrooms.

Had some entertainment when I was grilling. We have a small light aircraft airport within a few miles. I guess they fly over are area since they can always ditch it in the lake.

9-18-15_pizza-raw.jpg

9-18-15_pizza-fini.jpg

9-18-15_dumb-ass-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back