What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We were at Costco on Sunday, and purchased a whole NY Strip. Mrs WM81 choked at the overall cost, but trusted I had done the math. After cleaning the strip and cutting into 8 oz steaks, the cost per meal for us is less than buying pre-cut steaks, and FAR cheaper than going to a restaurant. Like other things we purchase in bulk, the up-front cost is stiff, but the per-meal cost is less than we'd get elsewhere, the quality is higher, and it's very nice to be able to have what we want, when we want.

After trimming the steaks are very clean (no waste); every bit of excess meat, including the odd-shaped ends, goes into pile. This was cut into bite-sized pieces and marinated in soy sauce and cornstarch for 48 hours.

Tonight was steak stir fry -- Mrs WM81 mentioned a taste for it as we hadn't done it in a while, so her wish was my command. After marinating 48 hours the steak comes out silky tender. I used enough garlic to vaporize every vampire within 3 miles (6 miles downwind), and added chicken stock, soy sauce, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, and Texas Pete.

stirfry.jpg

We were at Costco on Sunday, and purchased a whole NY Strip. Mrs WM81 choked at the overall cost, but trusted I had done the math. After cleaning the strip and cutting into 8 oz steaks, the cost per meal for us is less than buying pre-cut steaks, and FAR cheaper than going to a restaurant. Like other things we purchase in bulk, the up-front cost is stiff, but the per-meal cost is less than we'd get elsewhere, the quality is higher, and it's very nice to be able to have what we want, when we want.

After trimming the steaks are very clean (no waste); every bit of excess meat, including the odd-shaped ends, goes into pile. This was cut into bite-sized pieces and marinated in soy sauce and cornstarch for 48 hours.

Tonight was steak stir fry -- Mrs WM81 mentioned a taste for it as we hadn't done it in a while, so her wish was my command. After marinating 48 hours the steak comes out silky tender. I used enough garlic to vaporize every vampire within 3 miles (6 miles downwind), and added chicken stock, soy sauce, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, and Texas Pete.

View attachment 97331
I have no idea what Texas Pete is, but I'd pull a chair at that table any day! 🤤

I have no idea what Texas Pete is, but I'd pull a chair at that table any day! 🤤
Thanks! When I process a whole strip or tenderloin, I always ensure there's enough for a stir fry. This time I went with Chinese canned vegetables (straw mushrooms, baby corn, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts), when I have time to get to a local Asian market, I get fresh veggies including mung bean sprouts, and Mrs. WM81 likes broccoli, both the typical kind found commonly in the USA and one of the varieties we find in the market.

Craig explained the "what". Oddly enough, Texas Pete is made in North Carolina ...

I've been collecting pictures this week. They are worthy of sharing, but just haven't made the cut.

Tonight was a sauce from the freezer that I reduced to pure glory.

PXL_20230113_033038250.jpg
Wings, yesterday.
PXL_20230111_030732327.jpg
Fish tacos.. Blackened cod on the right. Raw spicy tuna on the left. That was gooood. OK both were, but given a choice..
Homemade tortillas, cilantro from the garden tower, homemade mayo and ketchup, and garden taters from the root cellar. Good eating!
PXL_20230108_032956328.jpg

Last edited:
Mike (@ibglowin) sent me a link for making mozzarella cheese using just milk, vinegar and heat. Intrigued I had to try it. First try was with a gallon of whole milk, normally pasteurized (not ultra), worked well, over a 1lb of cheese with minimal effort and less than $6 of milk.

Since it worked so well, I had to run over to my local creamery and get some cream top whole milk, minimally pasteurized and not homogenized. Cheese round on top of the image was from about 3 qts of that milk (saved some for the kids to try since they normally drink 1% milk). A bit more color to it, both very creamy and set up enough overnight in the fridge that they were easy to grate.

One big difference is the salt content of this homade cheese verses store bought 1 lb block. I let my wife taste them side by side and she was quite amazed. Never realized how much salt was in the store bought stuff, and I even cooled the home made stuff down in a cool brine bath.

Curious to see how well it melts on the pizzas for dinner.

1-15-23_mozz-1.jpg

1-15-23_mozz-2.jpg

Video link:

Last edited:
Mike (@ibglowin) sent me a link for making mozzarella cheese using just milk, vinegar and heat. Intrigued I had to try it. First try was with a gallon of whole milk, normally pasteurized (not ultra), worked well, over a 1lb of cheese with minimal effort and less than $6 of milk.

Since it worked so well, I had to run over to my local creamery and get some cream top whole milk, minimally pasteurized and not homogenized. Cheese round on top of the image was from about 3 qts of that milk (saved some for the kids to try since they normally drink 1% milk). A bit more color to it, both very creamy and set up enough overnight in the fridge that they were easy to grate.

One big difference is the salt content of this homade cheese verses store bought 1 lb block. I let my wife taste them side by side and she was quite amazed. Never realized how much salt was in the store bought stuff, and I even cooled the home made stuff down in a cool brine bath.

Curious to see how well it melts on the pizzas for dinner.

View attachment 97487

View attachment 97488

Video link:

My home made yogurt tastes nothing like store bought.
This is fantastic! Been on my list for a while and you moved it much closer to the top! Thanks!

Yesterday was a flop. We drove an hour to go for lunch at a distillery that has a bar and an awesome menu. Having only been open a year I was shocked that they had closed the restaurant and bar due to staffing issues. We ended up eating a not nearly as good lunch quite a bit later than intended.

At six o clock we were sitting having a drink wondering what we could eat that wasn't too heavy. One thing after another was added to a very bizarre menu.

Tuna tartare
PXL_20230115_032618865.jpg
Hand made dumplings. (Not by me!)
PXL_20230115_033138297.jpg
Costco gyozaPXL_20230115_033131202.jpg
And last... Yu choi from the garden tower with an oyster, soy, sesame sauce topped with crispy garlic. I was aiming for light and snacky, but the dog got some I was so full.

Tonight I am smoking ribs. :db
PXL_20230115_032933559.jpg

Back