What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For Christmas Eve dinner I wanted to make a prime rib, but couldn't find it at a price I was willing to pay. So we went with Plan B, which was baked trout with a Balsamic glaze. I had planned surf-n-turf, and made lobster ravioli and pumpkin ravioli.

Christmas Eve Dinner 2.jpg

I purchased a package of wonton skins to use as shells, and this worked fine for the pumpkin. Half way through assembling them, I realized that I needed a second package (wasn't thinking when buying), but they were sold completely out.

Dang, dang, dang!!! So I made a double batch of egg noodle dough and got out the handy-dandy hand-crank pasta machine. Years ago I purchased a set of crimpers for filled pasta, but they've languished in a drawer, unused. I got the small one out and spent a couple of hours assembling raviolis. In both cases, we cooked them in a large frypan containing 1/4" boiling water, as they can break apart while boiling in a large pot.

It was worth it, they were a hit!

Last nights Christmas dinner Smoked Beast! 6lb Standing rib roast with Herbs de Provence and some Uncle Chris's Gormet Steak Seasoning. The weather yesterday was picture perfect after a couple weeks of being in the deep freeze we had a warm up to 50 and sunny. Fired up the Weber with a charcoal base and a couple of pecan logs. Took about 2 hours to hit 127F and pulled it and let it rest for 20min and it went up to ~131F.

Served with tri-colored oven roasted fingerling potatoes and Haricots Verts with shallots and lemon.

1672065078415.png

For Christmas Eve dinner I wanted to make a prime rib, but couldn't find it at a price I was willing to pay. So we went with Plan B, which was baked trout with a Balsamic glaze. I had planned surf-n-turf, and made lobster ravioli and pumpkin ravioli.

View attachment 96779

I purchased a package of wonton skins to use as shells, and this worked fine for the pumpkin. Half way through assembling them, I realized that I needed a second package (wasn't thinking when buying), but they were sold completely out.

Dang, dang, dang!!! So I made a double batch of egg noodle dough and got out the handy-dandy hand-crank pasta machine. Years ago I purchased a set of crimpers for filled pasta, but they've languished in a drawer, unused. I got the small one out and spent a couple of hours assembling raviolis. In both cases, we cooked them in a large frypan containing 1/4" boiling water, as they can break apart while boiling in a large pot.

It was worth it, they were a hit!
Well?

I have to know. Hand made pasta beside store bought wonton wrappers. Were the wonton wrappers able to hold their own?

I’ve been threatening to slow cook a brisket on my Webber gas grill. Pork back ribs and Boston butt pulled pork were both a hit. My wife called my bluff and got me a 12 lb prime brisket for Christmas. So it’s on. I will get it all set up tonight and get up early tomorrow to start it. Not sure how brisket qualifies as prime but Costco says it so it must be so.

The fat man brought me a stand mixer, so I broke it in today by making some salted butter. Had about a quart of buttermilk from this, and some chicken in the fridge looking for a purpose. Mixed the buttermilk with some Frank's and will let the chicken sit in that until tomorrow's dinner.

tempImagemAMgAG.jpg

Last edited:
Well?

I have to know. Hand made pasta beside store bought wonton wrappers. Were the wonton wrappers able to hold their own?
Mostly. Simmering them in a fry pan with minimal water helps greatly.

I rolled the pasta for the lobster a bit thicker and it worked a lot better.

I need to buy 2 more presses like the one I have, and a cookie cutter of the same diameter. Cutting correct size circles and having 2 people working will make things go faster and easier.

Had leftover ravioli for dinner. The limoncello sauce goes fine on the pumpkin as well.

A smattering of pizza pictures from my 6 pizza bake. Also gave one dough away to a neighbor whose wife bought him some type of pizza cooking contraption, no clue what it is, sure I will find out some day. Happens with some of the neighbors who get pizza. One of them got an Ooni propane/wood tabletop oven for his birthday a few months ago.

Did have an issue, was trying to get the steel super heated with the broiler on (after heating with convection at 525 for 1 hour), and got some "F" code and the oven shut down. Guess I got it too hot, I think the steel was 575+, so guessing 575 is the magic number. Didn't use the broiler after that and things worked out okay.

12-26-22_pizza-3.jpg

Chunk sausage and bacon, yum!
12-26-22_pizza-4.jpg

Also used a small amount of grated smoked cheese (Monterey Jack w/apple sawdust) that has aged for about a week. Really couldn't taste it, but my wife did a little, I must be working on a cold or sinus infection...

Remember the fuse that kept blowing on my LG electric range when I would attempt to bake bread at 450F..........

A smattering of pizza pictures from my 6 pizza bake. Also gave one dough away to a neighbor whose wife bought him some type of pizza cooking contraption, no clue what it is, sure I will find out some day. Happens with some of the neighbors who get pizza. One of them got an Ooni propane/wood tabletop oven for his birthday a few months ago.

Did have an issue, was trying to get the steel super heated with the broiler on (after heating with convection at 525 for 1 hour), and got some "F" code and the oven shut down. Guess I got it too hot, I think the steel was 575+, so guessing 575 is the magic number. Didn't use the broiler after that and things worked out okay.

View attachment 96798

Chunk sausage and bacon, yum!
View attachment 96799

Also used a small amount of grated smoked cheese (Monterey Jack w/apple sawdust) that has aged for about a week. Really couldn't taste it, but my wife did a little, I must be working on a cold or sinus infection...

Remember the fuse that kept blowing on my LG electric range when I would attempt to bake bread at 450F..........
Fortunately no fuse blown, so a "soft" error. Just can't run the broiler with a steel and stone in there and not expect some heat buildup. I was able to run it at the end of the cook, then I think the oven cooled enough to put it back on 525 convect and heat the steel/stone up for the next pizza when the oven door opened to extract the finished pizza. I just try and wait at least 5 minutes before putting the next "cold" one on, crust still gets nicely done with some darker spots.

Too many pix. Oh well.

Cafe Zuni chicken! Dry-brined for 3 days, then roasted in a 475º oven. Yum. Served with roasted butternut squash (coriander); roasted broccoli (Aleppo pepper, smoked paprika, lemon juice); sauteed/braised Swiss Chard; and some leftover green beans with onions. Washed down with a Konstantin Frank Gruner Veltliner from the Finger Lakes. (Next lake over from where I am now!)

IMG_4358.JPGIMG_4359.JPGIMG_4360.JPGIMG_4361.JPG

Not the Holiday season here in NM without making Posole!
Looks like that was cooked in the crockpot, how long, and on low (which I'm assuming) or high?

I'm using the recipe I think you've posted before (New Mexican Recipes | Posole) but it calls for rehydrating whole pods, which I did last year.

If I make a chile sauce with the Bueno chile powder I bought, could I just substitute and use that in place of the dried pods and liquid? I was thinking of using this recipe for the chile sauce (Special Reserve Red Chile Sauce(From Red Chile Powder)).

Thanks for any input Mike...

Looks like that was cooked in the crockpot, how long, and on low (which I'm assuming) or high?

I'm using the recipe I think you've posted before (New Mexican Recipes | Posole) but it calls for rehydrating whole pods, which I did last year.

If I make a chile sauce with the Bueno chile powder I bought, could I just substitute and use that in place of the dried pods and liquid? I was thinking of using this recipe for the chile sauce (Special Reserve Red Chile Sauce(From Red Chile Powder)).

Thanks for any input Mike...

Take a look at this recipe. It only uses red chile powder. If you use canned hominy it doesn't need to cook at all like the dried/frozen stuff which takes all day on high to puff it up and soften.

https://beyondmeresustenance.com/chimayo-new-mexico-and-red-chile-posole/

Take a look at this recipe. It only uses red chile powder. If you use canned hominy it doesn't need to cook at all like the dried/frozen stuff which takes all day on high to puff it up and soften.

https://beyondmeresustenance.com/chimayo-new-mexico-and-red-chile-posole/
Sounds like I could get it done in the crockpot on low for 4 hours, adding the hominy the last 30 minutes. I'll try it out and see how it works. Just have to get some chicken stock since I only have beef stock in the pantry and no left over chicken from the other nights cook (used it to make stock for the kielbasa soup last night).

Thanks!

Sounds like I could get it done in the crockpot on low for 4 hours, adding the hominy the last 30 minutes. I'll try it out and see how it works. Just have to get some chicken stock since I only have beef stock in the pantry and no left over chicken from the other nights cook (used it to make stock for the kielbasa soup last night).

Thanks!

I would start it on high for a couple hours then switch to low. I would also open your can of hominy and just try a couple to see where its at for softness. It make need more than 30min if it seems crunchy. An hour to two on low (for the hominy) should get-er-done. It also gives it time to soak up the flavor of the broth. Otherwise its pretty tasteless out of the can.

I would start it on high for a couple hours then switch to low. I would also open your can of hominy and just try a couple to see where its at for softness. It make need more than 30min if it seems crunchy. An hour to two on low (for the hominy) should get-er-done. It also gives it time to soak up the flavor of the broth. Otherwise its pretty tasteless out of the can.
I was thinking of making it tomorrow morning, going to services, then eating for lunch, so I'd start it around 5-6 am, could run it on high until 9:30, then add the hominy and turn it to low and eat around noon.

Have you used the dried posole before? Is there a big flavor difference from that and the hominy? I could order some dried posole, wasn't sure if it was worth it flavor wise as I can usually find a few different types of hominy around these parts. Almost did from Bueno, but they only had frozen. One of the hispanic markets around here has got to have it, just haven't found it, yet.

Latest posts

Back