What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So many wonderful meals here. Peasant fare for me.
Homemade pierogi pan fried with onions in a bit of bacon grease and butter.
Searching for a good wine pairing. Red Cabbage? Tomato? Potato? So many choices...

View attachment 96521
If it came from a store I would leave your self defacing alone, but if you take the time to make it yourself, you have all you need.

Quality, nutrition, authenticity, and you win with a classic taste of home.

I made a split pea and ham soup over the weekend. No pics because I was shoving it down my throat before I could think of taking one. I looked at a half devoured bowl, and thought, not this time. This is too good.

I would consider my boiled bone and pea soup pretty high on the peasant list, but is was damn good. If you take the time to make it yourself, you will get my thumbs up every time. In fact, I would excitingly accept the offer to share.

I've made wontons, but never pierogi. It's on the list, but I know it's a ton of work, and I know those lazy cats didn't lift a claw to help!

Homemade pierogi pan fried with onions in a bit of bacon grease and butter.
Pierogis are a favorite of mine. My wife doesn’t make them very often, but when she does I make a complete pig of myself! And yes, pan fried with onions in bacon grease and butter.
Now I’m drooling on my keyboard!

If it came from a store I would leave your self defacing alone, but if you take the time to make it yourself, you have all you need.

Quality, nutrition, authenticity, and you win with a classic taste of home.

I made a split pea and ham soup over the weekend. No pics because I was shoving it down my throat before I could think of taking one. I looked at a half devoured bowl, and thought, not this time. This is too good.

I would consider my boiled bone and pea soup pretty high on the peasant list, but is was damn good. If you take the time to make it yourself, you will get my thumbs up every time. In fact, I would excitingly accept the offer to share.

I've made wontons, but never pierogi. It's on the list, but I know it's a ton of work, and I know those lazy cats didn't lift a claw to help!
Kind of you to say that. Yeah, I agree, homemade wins every time.
And SO many traditional peasant foods have been appropriated by the proletariat and aristocrats as they're own.

Now you got me thinking about split pea and ham soup. Had it from a can....once. Home made? Heaven.

Funny thing about the cats.They know to give me space when I'm in the kitchen. I had pierogis on a tray ready for the freezer but I HAD to go to the bathroom. Came back 30 seconds later, 3 cats on counter, 3 pierogis not going to the freezer.

Was invited to the home of a nice work acquaintance of my wife for "dinner." I am pretty sure that is what I was told. We had cheese and crackers, a couple of olives, and some salami slices cut into quarters. And nothing else (except the wine!). We did have a lovely conversation, in which she casually mentioned that she doesn't really cook, and doesn't eat very much.

So, on the way home, we stopped at Culver's for a Butterburger! :)

Tip of the day.. You see how clean that stove glass is?

Wood stove ash. Nothing cleans your wood stove or oven glass cleaner!
Another "waste" by-product with multiple uses.
Tested it as ice melt last year. Worked great!
Soap is still on my list, making lye (potassium hydroxide) from the ash.

Last night's dinner was baked trout (lime juice + Pampered Chef mustard seasoning), fried potatoes (made mini-fries with mandolin, seasoned with salt, pepper, granulated garlic, and dehydrated onion), and steamed carrots. Mrs. WM81 worked a long day and was happy to have a flavorful meal.

I usually slice or coarsely shred potatoes for fried potatoes (depending on mood), but decided to use the mandolin. I made "fries" that were about 1/8" square, so it was coarser than coarsely shredded potato (hash browns), but worked well. Browned the potato over high heat, flipped the potato, covered and turned down on very low. Stirred the potatoes every 10 minutes or so for about 30 minutes. Came out very tender with plenty of crunchy spots.

Last edited:
Another "waste" by-product with multiple uses.
Tested it as ice melt last year. Worked great!
Soap is still on my list, making lye (potassium hydroxide) from the ash.
Soap would be interesting. I bought lye to make it but haven't gotten to it, yet. Never considered using ash. I have access to a bit. 😄

I am lazy, I just dip a wet paper towel in ash and wipe away. I have used it for traction when it gets icy, It's ugly, but you can make safe walking paths. I've even gotten a couple vehicles unstuck with it.

Indigenous people were smart enough to figure out that they could survive on corn if they mixed it with ash. The lye broke it down making it digestible.

Soap would be interesting. I bought lye to make it but haven't gotten to it, yet. Never considered using ash. I have access to a bit. 😄

I am lazy, I just dip a wet paper towel in ash and wipe away. I have used it for traction when it gets icy, It's ugly, but you can make safe walking paths. I've even gotten a couple vehicles unstuck with it.

Indigenous people were smart enough to figure out that they could survive on corn if they mixed it with ash. The lye broke it down making it digestible.
I haven't made soap yet even though it's been on the list for a couple years. From what I've read the potassium hydroxide from wood ash is good for liquid soap and calcium hydroxide is used for bar soap.

Ugly? Gosh, in the very least it's a crime against aesthetics to add shades of gray and black to pure white snow but it sure does work.

I made tortillas from scratch (because it was on my list!) meaning dried corn and lye. Wonderful flavor! Time consuming and awkward since I'd never done it before. Now I "cheat" and use masa, better than store bought but doesn't compare to from scratch.

I'm surprised no one called out on this. Out of all the dishes I have posted sweet and sour meatballs gets some presentation effort, and even a garnish? 😄
I know it's cold there, but the garnish looks fake or left outside in sub zero (F) temps (almost too green). My son just returned to AK after a long stay here, he said the "low" was -55*F just before the sun came up, for about 3 hours... I think I like 30*F and some wind a bit better, lol. So I figured it's probably pretty cold in your neck of the woods today.

I know it's cold there, but the garnish looks fake or left outside in sub zero (F) temps (almost too green). My son just returned to AK after a long stay here, he said the "low" was -55*F just before the sun came up, for about 3 hours... I think I like 30*F and some wind a bit better, lol. So I figured it's probably pretty cold in your neck of the woods today.
Yup. -51 with windchill. Pretty brisk. I went to refill the wood bin in my T-shirt. Takes about 3 minutes. I was done. That's close to the limit without some layers on.

That's fresh cilantro, but its from the garden tower.
PXL_20221220_235458232.jpg

I haven't made soap yet even though it's been on the list for a couple years. From what I've read the potassium hydroxide from wood ash is good for liquid soap and calcium hydroxide is used for bar soap.

Ugly? Gosh, in the very least it's a crime against aesthetics to add shades of gray and black to pure white snow but it sure does work.

I made tortillas from scratch (because it was on my list!) meaning dried corn and lye. Wonderful flavor! Time consuming and awkward since I'd never done it before. Now I "cheat" and use masa, better than store bought but doesn't compare to from scratch.

You may want to compare notes with one of moderators, @GreginND . Here is a relevant post: What's for Dinner?

Fine!

It's hard not to speak type, you know!

This afternoon, I went outside to fill up our wood cart. I was dressed in light clothing, only a t-shirt and jeans (Socks and unmentionables, of course, but I only mentioned those due to the pressure on my performance). It was -51, and I could just bear it for the short time it took to fill up the cart. Likely only 3 minutes. That is about the maximum time that one can handle to be outside in this temperature without putting on more layers.

I hope this is more to your satisfaction.

🙃

Latest posts

Back